Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
Great stuff OP, possibly the best drum thread yet!

I just wanted to add the following link for anyone interested in building their own drums:

https://www.ghostnote.net

There is some amazing stuff there! I build my own kits if anyone has questions feel free to PM me. I'm not on SA a ton anymore so if you wanna go through my contact stuff check out my drum building website https://www.bmeson.com

Oh, and https://www.drumart.com is a no brainer for anyone looking for custom bass drum logo heads.

Anyone else into marching percussion? I'd love to see more of that in these threads! I've stumbled onto a GREAT tool for Long Rangers. Get a Bluetooth Receiver and plug it into the Long Ranger. You can then use a metronome app on your smartphone to play through the speaker. This allows you to control rehearsal much more fluidly without having to yell back to someone carrying the met. Only downside right now is the range is only about 30ft. It works pretty good at the back of the floor for WGI stuff but outdoors I can really only see using it in the arc or in close knit sections of drill. Anyone want to add thoughts to this I'd love to improve the range a bit, not sure if they make a bluetooth amplifier that would work properly.

[b]EDIT: Any marching tenor drummers should check out my book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1300607963/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Let me know what you think for future editions!

ATwoSlotToaster fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
I thought I'd add a post to my marching tenor drum book if anyone is interested in a very specific type of drumming. It is aimed at more advanced drummers but some of you might find it interesting.

http://patrickrfblakley.com/publications/quadratics-the-multi-tom-focus/

I have a second edition in the works that fixes a few typos (I'm a much better drummer than writer). If anyone has any input it is truly appreciated!

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Jazz Marimba posted:

I'm interested in this, but do you have a preview that isn't just the first bunch of pages on the physics of playing tenors?

I don't actually have more previews but I'll post some music files for the good people of SA!

Double Strokes:
This one is just my verison of the doube-beat exercise. This one works in some dynamic contrast and some advanced rhythm/drum choices. I love playing over the barline and it is apearent at the end (sort of a odd time illusion).

Flam Spree:
This is an advanced flam spree in the same realm of BD's shopping sprees. It is a bit more random but does slowly add more and more diddle, cheese and flam drag elements. My favorite passage is the 11/8 measure with the flam in the middle of the open roll; very hard to play clean but definitely possible (try it real slow at first and just drop that left hand one more time haha). This one also goes over the bar line at the end because why not!

Slow Fast:
This style exercise originated as a rote pattern that tenors usually played after tuning all the drums - as a check. Some writers write out their own and some lines just make them up along the way, but they are quickly catching on. I start on the right side of the instrument but with three notes instead of what usually is one (for a 12/8 pattern) just to give it a more odd timing rhythm across the kit. I also don't use the inside drums because it would throw off the flow (I don't use this as a tuning check anymore so that doesn't matter anyway, but you still could just without the inside drums). I LOVE this exercise because of the rare odd time present in the fifth measure. Instead of adding all sorts of tempo changes you really just keep the eighth-note triplets (ie 12th notes) going from the previous measure. There is no need to do that the second time though (at the end) becuase I decided to end it a little more authoritative on the 13" drum.

I can definitely post some more if you have specific exercises you're looking to check out (for writing style and taste).

ATwoSlotToaster fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 28, 2013

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Taliaquin posted:

And does anyone know of any exercises for strengthening snare hits? My right is, allegedly, good, but my left is still noticeably softer. Funnily, the opposite happens when I do a roll.

You could also try playing opposites, use the left on the hat and the right on the snare. This gets your left playing more and will build chops as well as some good coordination!

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Jazz Marimba posted:

I posted this in the home recording thread, but figured y'all might be able to answer my question too.

I'm looking to record myself practicing on drums, in multiple locations, for as cheap as possible and with as little setup as possible, and hopefully without having to futz with anything afterward.

Last night I tried using a recording app on my phone in a tiny room, and the ride and crash were fantastic, the hi hat could be a bit louder (probably just the fact that my body was blocking it), and the drums themselves were awful and distorted.

Is it possible to do what I want with just a phone? What are some alternatives? Thanks in advance!

I'm just speculating here because I've never tried it with a phone before, but you might just try plugging in some mics to the input jack and see if any of them are to your liking. Then it's just down to placement of the mic on stage. I bet you can even find a decent EQ app too if you wanted.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
Haven't posted here in way too long. Just upgraded some cymbals on my two kits:

(You can barely see my new Apollo ride on the far right of the second kit. It's raised way up. Ah, the problems of a drummer getting an overhead shot of their kit.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Greggster posted:

I always get so confused when I see drummers who have so much to play on, personally I think two hanging toms and one floortom + 2 crash + 1 ride & hihat (plus snare and kick) is the perfect amount of drums to play on.
I haven't played for a very long time though (I think this summer marks my 3rd year of drumming, and my 2nd year of playing in a band as a drummer) so this might change, how long have you've been playing?

Speaking of which, I really feel that I should start learning actual rudimentaries, I know paradiddles but beyond that I'm sort of lost.
I think I got the proper way of playing (using my wrists and having the stick alongside the arm) and that I got my sitting down, I never get a sore back after band practice (we play 2-3 hours at least).

I'm also excercising fairly regularly to keep my body fresh, but beyond that I'm not sure where to look. My city doesn't have any drum teachers so I've only played and played and played with my band/s to learn how to play, so I might have picked up some bad habits along the way even if I might not feel the effect yet.

I hope you don't get confused by the drummers playing their bigger kits, do you mean it's more confusing with so many sounds available? But yea man, to each his own. My kits have a bunch of sounds available to me, but I also like to have a few different sized crashes and splashes, this helps to keep the sounds fresh by not hitting the same crash at the end of every fill, or when you want to use a few different splashes or effects in the middle of a fill even.

As for drums, I like to be able to move down the toms to the right OR down the toms to the left, depending on rhythms to avoid shifts. But I also like to just have drum options available when I want them. I like to play progressive music so a bigger kit helps in general and I actually do have a smaller custom kit that I bring to shows to help change-over times.

Everything is on its own stand which means I can get things on and off stage real easily. It is still a good size but hey, that's how I like it! SA tends to like small kits, and that's fine, I can make a small kit sound great and a big kit sound even better! Oh, and I've been drumming for 21 years :)

Definitely learn/memorize your rudiments! Watch youtube for lessons, get that technique right before you build any bad habits while self-teaching. And have fun more than anything, don't let anyone tell you you're wrong if you're having fun!

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
Just did a photoshoot with my custom show kit!

You can check out the gallery of some of the other shots here:
http://patrickrfblakley.com/drumset/drum-setups/epiarch-custom-show-kit-gallery/

The drumset was built by Epiarch Custom Drums in 2008 or so. I use this setup for shows because it's so easy to set up and tear down quickly. I have two studio drumsets too if you wanna check them out here:
http://patrickrfblakley.com/drumset/drum-setups/

All the specs for all the kits are on that link. Let me know what you think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

sebzilla posted:

How many legs do you have?

One on the left, one on the right, and one right in the middle.