Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I've decided it's time to change my drum heads (batter and resonator) for the first time in forever since I'm playing shows again and they sound pretty sketchy right now. I play in a country punk band (a la Drive By Truckers/Dwight Yoakam) so I'd like a warm tone but not much sustain. I'd like to go thicker because I hit them pretty hard and because obviously I'm lazy in changing them I'd like them to last for a while. My drums are a 90s Mapex Pro Series, multiple ply maple. Since its been so long since I've changed them I have no idea what I'm looking for - brand, type, anything. What heads should I be looking at? What's the best quality for the price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Super stripped down kit is the way to go. Some of the best drumming I've seen has been on a 4 piece kit with a ride, crash and hi hats. Cases for everything and put permanent marker marks on all your hardware so you know exactly where to set it.

A little anecdote- Not sure what their tour ride was but when I saw Cloud Nothing's last year I saw the drummer pack up and he didn't have reso heads on anything and was able to pack his drums all inside each other like Russian nesting dolls. I don't think he even had a crash. That setup probably took up like 3x3 altogether when broken down. He's a really decent drummer too.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Does anyone have that Sonor foldable Jojo Mayer kick pedal? Looks interesting but reviews are kinda mixed. I'm also a toe player and I think he's a heel to toe player so not sure if it's okay for my kick style. I really like the look and the fact that it folds though.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

How long have you had it? Any issues with parts breaking? How does it compare to other pedals you've used in terms of feel and responsiveness? I have a DW5000 that I've used forever so if you've used any DWs in particular that would be a helpful comparison.

Unfortunately I don't have any local availability so I'm trying to do a little more investigation before potentially ordering one.