Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You should always be keeping a mental/verbal count when drumming, once you get used to the cadences of the count it gets easy to insert triples anywhere, a bar of quarter notes ending on triplets would be ONE and TWO and THREE and FOUR-and-a ONE etc. It's just a matter of practice, some metronomes have these variations built in, your rhythm coach may already do this.

One thing that tightened up my timings was practicing hand motions while walking, get into a nice pace and have your feet become your metronome counting the whole notes and then practice quarters/eighths/triplets with alternating hands on the side of your thighs or against your stomach if wearing a hoodie, if you walk to work/school each day this can add up to be a fair bit of practice over a week.

Also watch as many youtube drumming videos (lessons or performances) as you can find time for, plenty of little things you can pick up just by watching another person play on a kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you have a rubber practice pad then that's a good approximation of how loud rubber e-drums generally are. I can be loud enough to travel into a neigbouring room but is drowned out by a tv or radio generally, if your neighbours are the type to sit silently in their home then they'll probably hear it a bit.

Kick pedal thumping is solved by making an isolation platform out of MDF and some tennis balls, my kick was the loudest part of the kit for sure due to the vibrations it sends through the floor but the platform I built stops that entirely.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AlphaDog posted:

I have another v-drum question. Will the PDX-100 pad work with the TD-1K? The manual doesn't mention it, but I've seen a couple of posts around the place which seem to show that pad on this kit, as well as a German site that's selling them together. Unfortunately, I don't read enough German to figure out what, if anything, they've done to make it happen, and googling is failing me.

I can't find anything concrete either but I think it will, the TD-1K is sold with both rubber and mesh snares, they wouldn't make a whole separate kit just for the snare so that implies the snares can be swapped over. On the roland site there's a couple of pics of the kits being played and they appear to have 1/4" cables running to each drum (couldn't see the connectors but safe assumption they use the standard jack) so it will probably fit into the PDX-100 just fine and looks to have support for both rim and snare zones.

The biggest issue will be mounting it to the kit, the default TD-1K pads seem to have some sort of clamp underneath the drum that holds onto the bar but the PDX-100 has a metal section on the back that slots onto a metal rod that is in turn clamped to the frame of the kit. You might need to buy this clamp/rod thing, but the mounting is in a different position so the upgraded snare will be pushed forward a lot more compared to the default one and may not work as well with the rest of the kit because you'll have to sit further back than before. Also just eyeballing the pictures of the kit it looks like the frame is thinner than the TD series frames so the clamp/rod might not be able to tighten around the frame anyway.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah literally a couple of piezos hooked up to a stereo 1/4" jack, they send a jolt through the wiring and then the kit electronics detect the amplitude of it and plays the appropriate sample in response. Not complex units at all and in general any e-drum will work with any drum brain providing the sockets match (might be different for the super high end TD-20 et al), the brain usually has some sensitivity settings to tame any triggering issues that might arise from using off-brand piezos.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Alesis aren't bad but they are a peg down from Yamaha and Roland, I've always seen them as a premium budget brand, they make stuff that works decently enough but placed beside a "proper" brand it's clear which one is the loser. That being said, that kit looks fine. For a thousand dollars that's actually a really good deal, I bought my TD9KX in 2008 for nearly $4000AU and apart from the toms being mesh and a better ride there's really not much that makes my kit superior to this one, it actually looks like a more modern version of the TD-9. The mesh kick is a good improvement for that price too (it looks like it could handle a double kick pedal fine, I use eliminators on a much smaller KD8), and kick/snare are easily the two most important surfaces so the toms being rubber isn't a big deal, the size of them almost seems luxurious compared to the 8" mesh pads I use which have a fairly small butter zone for hitting the surface without clipping the rims. Being able to load your own samples into the brain is a big plus, the td-9 can only modify existing internal sounds or use external midi with slight latency so this could extend the useful life of your kit significantly, you could find samples for any kit in the world.

The only real negative I would say the Command has is it doesn't seem expandable at all, there's nothing in the specs that mentions adding extra drums so you're stuck with one crash and one floor tom, still not a deal breaker though. Also only has a two-zone ride cymbal so no bell, the cymbals are probably the most limited part of the kit overall, but that style of hi-hat is fine (same as mine) and you can use each zone on the crash as a different cymbal and even the tom rims could be cymbals too. Still enough flexibility to not limit your playing in any real way but I do like a second crash.

Alternatives are really the second hand market, a td-9 at this price does happen occasionally and you could probably get a decent yamaha but they'll all be decade-old technology soon, my td-9 couldn't even play mp3 files until a(n easily pirated) $99 firmware upgrade came out and like I said can't load any more internal sounds which is something I long for on my kit so having that poo poo natively is still a comparative luxury in the world of e-drums. I don't think you'll find anything better than the Alesis kit with your budget, and it will be in vastly better condition than anything you could find second hand.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It does, but there's an unavoidable latency involved in running from the brain to the computer via MIDI, through the drum sim and out the speakers. It can be <10 ms with a good setup but it still makes drums feel sludgy, distant, other synonyms for not-quite-present. It's great for recording, play along to the inbuilt sounds while recording midi and so you get the immediacy of the brain and flexibility of a midi track, but for actual everyday playing and jamming that slight, almost imperceptible delay makes a big difference to how the kit feels. Responsiveness is king with drums, guitars can get away with a 10ms blur on the notes because the actual act of plucking a string will still be occurring when the sound exits the speaker but a drum stick can hit and be on the rebound just above the head when the sound triggers and once you notice this it's hard to ever un-notice, makes it feel like a copy of a drum kit instead of an instrument in its own right.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I didn't see that pic, sure does mean you can add another tom and crash, you could use prettymuch any brand of e-drum in there because they all use the same 1/4" jack.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nice thinking on the kick patch, I wore a hole in my rubber kick drum by using felt beaters, by the time I patched it was too late.

How does the kit feel?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mephiston posted:

So much bigger than what I was using before.

I have a lot of retraining to do with regards to my posture too.

I'm also considering getting another drum patch for the snare, for the sake of making it last, since I think I still hit it too hard.

But yeah, really happy with it.

Mesh lasts forever, I beat the hell out of my snare (fast punk beats = lots of snare use) and it looks the same as it did from factory. Well, almost as new, one time the little nylon tips came off the metal-cored sticks I was using without me noticing and I left a bunch of pock marks across all the drums, but apart from that there's been zero damage to any of my mesh heads caused by regular playing.
Anyone I show the kit to always plays really lightly like they're afraid to break it, until I push them out of the way, hit the kit as hard as I can in a vicious display of brutality, then tell them to have another go and take the kid gloves off this time.

If for whatever reason you did manage to hurt the mesh then replacements are easy to find and install, probably for not much more cost than the patches you use. Just make sure to not use the same sticks on an acoustic kit and an electric kit, the acoustic will shred the drum sticks leaving all sorts of sharp bits that could actually cause some damage, and a set of sticks will never deteriorate if just used on your alesis (I still use the same wooden sticks I bought with the kit nearly a decade ago).

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Just got my annual bonus from work and am finally gonna pick up some double bass pedals. A few pages back Pearl Eliminators were recommended, they still a good bang-for-buck buy? The P-2002C's seem to be floating around 300 right now but I don't mind assuming they should last basically forever.

Mine are 7ish years old and show no indications of wear, I don't envision ever having to replace them.
I have no idea what else is out that competes with them but the Eliminators are still great value.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

blorpy posted:

If you're still thinking about doing this, Superior Drummer turns out to be pretty great. It comes with quite a lot of drum sounds and you can apply a bunch of effects (compression/EQ/distortion etc) inside SD. It's also at least somewhat designed with e-kits in mind.

How's latency with the Nuc setup? I've tried my TD-9 through a computer into EZDrummer but it didn't feel as snappy as I'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I bought a Strata Prime as soon as it was available, it's an incredibly sick kit. I upgraded from a TD-17kvx triggering SSD5.5 setup to this and the Prime blows it away in all aspects, I was pretty happy with the SSD5.5 sounds overall but the inbuilt BFD just seems more reactive and dynamic and I've never heard e-toms sound so punchy and present. The kit responds to the lightest taps and it sounds like you expect it to, even resting the sticks down on the snare gives a convincing clatter.

The Prime feels great to play, everything behaves how I want it to and it's just a joy to bash around on. Having different size toms is a luxury I didn't know I was missing out on, now the small one goes bim and the big one goes bom as one would expect, you can really trick yourself into feeling that the sounds are actually coming out of the things you are hitting which I never really felt with the Roland setup.

Hardware seems fine as far as I can tell, the pads are heavy and solid despite not being full shells, no obvious compromises in the build quality. The module is solidly built and the screen is basically an ipad, software implementation is not quite there with some things needing refinement (going into two sub-menus and back out each time to change the backing track) and it's missing Bluetooth streaming from phones, but overall it's a nice clear interface with a lot of detail and decent workflow. Nice big cymbals all with bells (bells on a hat! marvellous), I stole two 12" cymbals from my TD17 for the new setup and they look like toys in comparison. The rack is sturdy enough and I prefer the convenience over standing drums, nothing moves around much when hit. There's mention in the 65 drums review about the hats wobbling, it's not as bad as they had it if you clamp down the screw around the felt pads, but even with this it still moves around a bit in the closed position, moreso than a single-piece roland vh10, which might bother people expecting the physical reaction of a two-piece hat. In practice it doesn't affect playing at all and I can Everlong the poo poo out of these hats for hours without missing a beat.

I've always owned mid-tier Roland drums and these Alesis parts feel as well built if not better than the gear I've owned before, and despite the Roland pedigree I've had to replace multiple pads, cymbals and cables over a couple of kits and many years, and even had to mod the roland hardware like putting shims under the cymbal rubber so it would trigger better, or running the hats and ride through an edrumin because the Roland implementations were trash. I'm not at all concerned about the longevity of these Alesis components.