Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Not for me it isn't!

You're looking at the trainer in Yowyn, the farming town that's southeast of the starting town Vernis, and southwest of the castle city Palmia? Alternatively you can train it in the snow city Noyel, northeast of Palmia.

I got town names mixed up a lot when I first started - particularly Vernis/Yowyn for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Fairy claymore. Couldn't find it anywhere, but I hosed myself over by letting my initial claymore get destroyed by a slime so I'm starting over as it's pretty much impossible for me to get a new one yet!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

As a really stupid question, you're sure you're picking 'What can you teach me?' and not 'Train me.', right?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Stelas posted:

As a really stupid question, you're sure you're picking 'What can you teach me?' and not 'Train me.', right?

Yes. Give me SOME credit, here.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I did say it was a really stupid question. :v:

I don't know, then. Fairies don't get Sense Quality as default, nor do Claymores, so it should show up in the list. You might want to grab EloSnack and take a look through your save file, to see if the game thinks you picked it up somewhere and so removed it from the list. I don't think anyone ever added Elona+ specific fields to it, but it still works.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does Elona+ encourage you to avoid grinding levels? Killing things ended up being a very bad choice in Elona.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does Elona+ encourage you to avoid grinding levels? Killing things ended up being a very bad choice in Elona.
Don't you wish. Well, I suppose it encourages you to avoid grinding levels, what with the changes to Traveling and all, but the rest of the grind is, if anything, bigger than ever.

[edit]Unrelated to the above, but if you decide to play a caster after all, do not, I repeat, not invest in Casting, ever. I've been loving around with memory hacking and the difference between 2.000 Casting and 2000.000 Casting is literally only 7% extra success. It's so ridiculously not worth it.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 2, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I've been loving around with memory hacking and the difference between 2.000 Casting and 2000.000 Casting is literally only 7% extra success.

Memory hacking often doesn't work because Elona changes multiple values as you level up. Just setting Casting to a new value won't necessarily update all the other values. I just hosed around with wizard mode and got the following on Restore Spirit, at spell level 1:

No casting skill: 5% chance of success
Casting Skill 1: 56% chance of success
Casting Skill 2: 71% chance of success
Casting Skill 25: 85% chance of success
Casting Skill 50: 87% chance of success

e: Also, Casting becomes a lot more important on harder spells. Resurrection:

Casting 1: 5%
Casting 2: 5%
Casting 10: 10%
Casting 20: 37%
Casting 50: 64%

Stelas fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 2, 2013

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

code:
little girl (first pet)
Level 1 Female Roran Warrior
Attributes
Str:	14 (Superb)	Con:	16 (Superb)	Dex:	7 (Good)
Per:	7 (Good)	Lea:	7 (Good)	Wil:	9 (Great)
Mag:	7 (Good)	Cha:	10 (Superb)
Life:	100	Mana:	80	Speed:	96

brown bear (first pet)
Level 1 Bear
Attributes
Str:	9 (Great)	Con:	10 (Superb)	Dex:	5 (Good)
Per:	6 (Good)	Lea:	6 (Good)	Wil:	6 (Good)
Mag:	3 (Bad)	Cha:	5 (Good)
Life:	160	Mana:	80	Speed:	71
The bear has 60 more hit points and that is all. The bear has literally no skills above 4 and the little girl has some skills up to 10. She's a drat murder machine compared to the bear.

Welp, time to fix this. Coming soon: Elona's new "realistic bears" mod. Gotta do something to counteract the :japan:.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Nanomashoes posted:

Welp, time to fix this. Coming soon: Elona's new "realistic bears" mod. Gotta do something to counteract the :japan:.

If your goal is to counteract the :japan:, you may want to take marriage into consideration for changes too as there's a chance you'll just turn that into :furcry:.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Little girls are ok I guess, but I like my level 50ish silver bells wielding shirkens, Panties and Grenades. Each bell has a HUGE amount of speed, meaning the rarely get hit and if they do they will heal up in a round or 2.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 2, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Not to mention if you tweak their genes a bit you can give them rubynus gear and make them practically unkillable by adding tons to their initially pitiful life. Definitely the ultimate murderbeast pets.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Is the little girl better off having a sword, an axe, or a dagger? Because I've got the Ether Dagger thing and I'm thinking of slapping it on her.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sociopastry posted:

Is the little girl better off having a sword, an axe, or a dagger? Because I've got the Ether Dagger thing and I'm thinking of slapping it on her.
Do. The Ether Dagger's awesome and pets are immune to Ether Disease.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Fantastic. Also- Gene Engineering, where do I get it and is a Warrior of Elea plus a Little Girl a good mix?

E: Nevermind, it's in Port Kapul.

FluxFaun fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 2, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gene Engineering is mostly for putting body parts on things that lack them or handing down important skills. You also can't actually do it til you get a gene machine off the scientist dude in the port.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
And in true Elona fashion, it is yet another huge time sink that will take hours of grinding to get good results, but the beauty of it is that when you get bored of grinding for Genes, you can go dive a dungeon, or visit your ranch, or practice performing, or mess around in your house, or do some random quests, nuke a village, play with the Ragnorak, etc.

Also:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/noanoa/elona-shooter

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Holy sweet goddamn platina bells are amazing. I've got a Little Girl with an Ether Dagger and the best kit I've found so far (that I'm not wearing, that is), and a platina bell with a laser gun. :getin:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Nanomashoes posted:

If that's your goal, then you might well consider coding the entire game from scratch, from the pregnancies from drinking well water to the panties making perfect ammunition to kill dragons with.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Wells are so nasty, really. I went to the embassy to pay my taxes, and as I crossed the room, the little girl drank from the fountain.
She falls in and she drowns. In a fountain. :negative:
At least I've had dye on hand every time aliens happened.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sociopastry posted:

Fantastic. Also- Gene Engineering, where do I get it and is a Warrior of Elea plus a Little Girl a good mix?

E: Nevermind, it's in Port Kapul.

Like the dude said, you use Gene Engineering to grant your pets skills and slots. Read up on the wiki for more details - you want to make sure you don't give them too many slots because they'll get a speed penalty. You can get some skills from the slave trader pets - but no additional slots.

Once you have finished the Gene Machine quest, and you use the machine, you select the "receiver" pet - and then you see a list of all your remaining pets, and it shows what slot / what skills that pet would give if you feed them into the wood chipper. Make sure you take off any equipment before you mulch them.

Important skills that you want to give pets:
Firearm / Throwing / Bow / whatever melee skill you want them to use. You should be able to get these from slave master pets.
Marksman / Tactics (Marksman for Bow/Firearm, Tactics for throwing/melee) - again, get from Slave master pets.
Eye of Mind (crit chance) - this one is harder to find, it's not too uncommon from the enemies I'm getting from scrolls of ally at level 30. Maybe 1 in 5 chance? Stuff like goblins have the skill, so it's not like it's rare.
Traveling - again, somewhat uncommon - but awesome!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gils posted:

Wells are so nasty, really. I went to the embassy to pay my taxes, and as I crossed the room, the little girl drank from the fountain.
She falls in and she drowns. In a fountain. :negative:
At least I've had dye on hand every time aliens happened.

This is part of why all pets should be wearing wings. On top of all the other dumb ways not wearing them will get them killed.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Nanomashoes posted:

You can actually manually create and add new creatures into the game. I forget the specifics, but I've done it before to dump a miniature version of Ehekatl into the game. The wiki has some information on it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, but the only way you're going to make a bear good is by making it level 200 or something so martial arts starts doing more damage than most weapons (not counting the god weapons and other shenanigans, that needs more like 2000).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Give it the right to bear arms.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Bear sprite, god race. :v: Alternatively you can give it extra resistances to make it tanky or give it some special abilities.

I think I'll start playing this again and take a bit of a break from Dragon's Dogma. Probably going to end up rolling my usual Cat Pianist character.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 2, 2013

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

If that's your goal, then you might well consider coding the entire game from scratch, from the pregnancies from drinking well water to the panties making perfect ammunition to kill dragons with.

Water induced pregnancies are clearly just references to the Native American Raven trickster god, and perfectly fine.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Take a Little Girl and slap a bear sprite on it. That'll do it.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Woah, Elona+'s controls actually work! In the original everything was always bound wrong for me and I could never get past the tutorial since none of the buttons did what they said they did but now I can actually play it and it seems pretty intuitive.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Honestly, the game is best played with a controller, anyway. I really wish more roguelikes would take the radial menu approach. It certainly didn't limit the complexity of the game, just made it way less tedious to learn how to play.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I rolled an archer and did the trick to get the bow (the bastard with the dagger didn't die).

A few things

A: is killing everything I run into ultimately a hinderance? I remember in Elona I'd hit a level and suddenly have to start going home to pay taxes and poo poo - should I just be trying to do quests with as little exp gain as possible?
B: does it matter what god I choose?
C: is it worth trying to nuke that dude in my house to get his dagger?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I started a character and went to Vernis. The first quest I pick up is to trade for a piece of food. By the time I find the guy, it's already rotten. I return to the quest giver, who is also the general vendor for Vernis, and deliver the rotten food. He eats it and dies of food poisoning on the spot.

...drat.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Verviticus posted:

I rolled an archer and did the trick to get the bow (the bastard with the dagger didn't die).

A few things

A: is killing everything I run into ultimately a hinderance? I remember in Elona I'd hit a level and suddenly have to start going home to pay taxes and poo poo - should I just be trying to do quests with as little exp gain as possible?
B: does it matter what god I choose?
C: is it worth trying to nuke that dude in my house to get his dagger?

A: If you're playing Elona +, taxes are not a hindrance at all. I think my last one was maybe 188 gold. Paltry. That said, if you're playing vanilla Elona (why are you playing vanilla Elona) then yeah, taxes are gonna suck. They're gonna be about half of what you'd make for the cheaper Hunting quests.

B: Not really. You can switch gods whenever. Just go to the Truce Grounds and pick one that sounds good. I picked the wind one because I like bows. That said, whatshisbut of Earth gives a hella good pet later on.

C: Yes. Yes it is. You can give that dagger to your pets because they're immune to Ether Disease and it kills basically everything. Goddamn it's good.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'd just start over if someone survives the nuke, it only takes maybe 20 minutes to get there if the game hates you and doesn't give you good quests.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

dis astranagant posted:

I'd just start over if someone survives the nuke, it only takes maybe 20 minutes to get there if the game hates you and doesn't give you good quests.

Is it that much harder to just go buy another? I got a pair of seven league boots while doing it and it seems that's probably the harder than just getting another nuke.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I guess that's a bit harder to replace if you're not savescumming. It's mostly just me being paranoid about being able to afford the necessities before the game decides to start spawning real enemies based the levels you're gaining getting the money to nuke your house twice.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Miijhal posted:

Bear sprite, god race. :v: Alternatively you can give it extra resistances to make it tanky or give it some special abilities.

I think I'll start playing this again and take a bit of a break from Dragon's Dogma. Probably going to end up rolling my usual Cat Pianist character.

How do you roll a cat in Elona+?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gils posted:

He eats it and dies of food poisoning on the spot.

I hope you then took his stuff and cooked his corpse.

Verviticus posted:

A few things

A: Not really. Taxes have been slashed, and fame is more important than XP when it comes to determining the game's danger level. Largely it's a nonissue if only because Traveling will push you above level 6 very quickly, and if you don't get Traveling you're missing out on so much skill xp it's untrue.

That said, if you find yourself getting oneshot by rogue bosses or quests too often, consider lowering your Fame. The most reliably fast and cheap way to do this, without even losing stats for dying, is to take your pet to the pet arena in Port Kapul and repeatedly enter and escape out of a fight.

B: The new god, Yachatect of Wealth, is pretty drat solid in general. Certain gods are substantially better if you're a farmer / archer / magic user. If you're melee, then pretty much whatever.

NewtGoongrich posted:

How do you roll a cat in Elona+?

Oh yeah, I should put that in the op.

Unlocking debug races:

Open config.txt. Find the line extraRace and change "0" to "1". Start the game and you'll have access to a ton of races, including the deeply broken (and kind of dull) Catgod.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

I guess that's a bit harder to replace if you're not savescumming. It's mostly just me being paranoid about being able to afford the necessities before the game decides to start spawning real enemies based the levels you're gaining getting the money to nuke your house twice.

I don't even remember what the necessities are, but since I got the boots really early I've earned about 50k gp but only ~25 pp just doing high value quests.

edit: 2nd try, the same person died but dropped a miracle arrow at least. Third time's a charm right

edit2: to just save me time after the third person time it didn't I've just savescummed about 50 explosions. Maybe this one can't die anymore?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
How do you survive combat in this game? The minute a kobold gets beside my warrior dude with 60 health I get completely hosed up in a split second.