Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Richardanator posted:

I had a job interview for an awesome engineering internship last Friday. The hiring manager called me today and told me he'd like to set up an informal interview "at a Starbucks or something". I'm curious what your take on this might be. Do I have the job and this is more of a meeting to discuss the particulars of the job, or might there be somebody else in the running?
That sounds more like a first-pass vetting to make sure you can carry on a conversation and aren't otherwise broken. Hiring managers will typically screen the candidates before they get to the actual people who are requesting the position be filled so their (very expensive, compared to HR) time is not wasted. A lot of places will just do a phone interview first, but in-person can work if everyone involved is local.

Sounds like you got through the first pass of HR reviewing your resume, so congrats! For an engineering co-op or internship just display what limited knowledge you've picked up from classes and that you know how to follow directions and you should be ok. Follow the advice from this thread ("Think of a time when..." and have examples ready) and you'll do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Is this an actual company? Actual companies have offices and conference rooms they use for interviews.

Unless you're not local to them and the interviewer just happens to be travelling through your area or something, it seems a bit weird to me. Job interviews are not usually informal affairs; there's a reason HR is usually present.

Different industries might do things differently I guess.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
It's not that uncommon, although it's usually the reverse (hiring manager is a formal meeting, your actual supervisor can be informal). I recently had a final interview for one of the largest law firms in the States take place at a cafe.

Richardanator
May 8, 2006

Mmmm.....
It's for an internship with a fortune 500 company. I have done a psych screen, and a formal panel interview already. Now I'm off to have coffee with the regional engineer who I interviewed with. The tips in this thread were awesome btw, and I tried to expand my answers to include a time when I was able to teach other people based off of my experiences.

Godline
Jun 17, 2013
For the job I have now I had to go to an assessment day.
Group assessment was basically a dick waving show, people running their mouths etc etc I actually didn't contribute to any of the discussions but when some guy was running his mouth for a little too long I just interrupted and explained that we understood his point and that due to the time constraints we should carry on / let somebody else wave their dick about.

After that was a series of 10 minute interviews 8 times similar questions from each interviewer with a different angle. This was on a one to one basis or two interviewers to one candidate.

I asked for feedback and didn't get it but was offered a different job to what they had advertised, paid better and had more prospects so took it.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Richardanator posted:

It's for an internship with a fortune 500 company. I have done a psych screen, and a formal panel interview already. Now I'm off to have coffee with the regional engineer who I interviewed with. The tips in this thread were awesome btw, and I tried to expand my answers to include a time when I was able to teach other people based off of my experiences.

This might be a "mentor-matching" interview if you're thinking about interning in the local office - my internships in college would have me have an informal conversation with my potential mentor to suss out whether their team would be a good match for my interests.

I've also gone to coffee shops with local candidates if traveling to the office would be annoying for them.

I wouldn't stress out too much - just go, be professional, and have some questions prepared about the specifics of working at that company, but I would anticipate more of a sell interview than another formal screen.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Is this an actual company? Actual companies have offices and conference rooms they use for interviews.

My 1000-person company interviews at a local cafe all the time - either for initial screening interviews or for tie-breaking "cultural fit" interviews after the hiring panel has submitted their recommendations to HR.

We're in a secure building, so it's a pain to have candidates showing up early, requiring the manager to interrupt their own work to come down, sign the person in, and find someone to babysit them. Conference rooms are also in high demand, making short-notice bookings a pain. Sometimes it's just easier for a hiring manager to parcel a coffee break and an interview together.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I have a interview here for data scanner: https://www.linkedin.com/company/jerrick-media

But I have no idea what kind of company this is other than online advertising?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Alder posted:

I have a interview here for data scanner: https://www.linkedin.com/company/jerrick-media

But I have no idea what kind of company this is other than online advertising?

Not an advertising company. Looks like a holding company for a few online media brands. Here's a list of their brands

jerrickmedia.com/about/

Miss Ginger
May 16, 2011
Has anyone had an interviewer texting the whole time? I legitimately couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a stress interview thing or if she's just a dick. She'd directly ask me a question and start texting as I responded :wtc:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Miss Ginger posted:

Has anyone had an interviewer texting the whole time? I legitimately couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a stress interview thing or if she's just a dick. She'd directly ask me a question and start texting as I responded :wtc:

She's a jackass, you don't want to work for a company that tolerates that poo poo from a manager or HR.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Miss Ginger posted:

Congratulations, you have the rare satisfaction of being able to reject an interviewer for "not being a good fit."

I encourage you to send a form email informing that, although you were impressed with her position and experience, at this time you are moving on to other interviewers who more closely match the remit. Be sure to wish her luck in her search.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 5, 2015

Miss Ginger
May 16, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

She's a jackass, you don't want to work for a company that tolerates that poo poo from a manager or HR.

It's an extremely large pharmaceutical corporation and I'd really like to work for them, in theory. It's a great position for me, but that panel just seemed so loving crazy

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Miss Ginger posted:

It's an extremely large pharmaceutical corporation and I'd really like to work for them, in theory. It's a great position for me, but that panel just seemed so loving crazy

You clearly have not read Sundae's posts in the corporate thread.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Miss Ginger posted:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You clearly have not read Sundae's posts in the corporate thread.

Seriously, dude. Run like hell.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FrozenVent posted:

Seriously, dude. Run like hell.

I'd like to read those posts anyone got a link.

Miss Ginger
May 16, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

I'd like to read those posts anyone got a link.

It's gold

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Email from Recruiter I tried to add on LinkedIn posted:

[Race Realists],

I enjoyed speaking to you today.

Here is the job description below. This is a full-time position with Aaron's.

Help Desk Admin

We are working with Aaron's staffing a number of entry level positions for IT Help Desk Engineers. Our client is looking for bright highly motivated individuals that are eager to work and grow in their career . Great potential for career growth with a company that is in a huge growth mode and has one of the best managed IT departments in Atlanta. The department manager has promoted 40 people out of entry level positions in the last few years some are making as much as double their initial income.

Key Traits for successful candidates:

1. Attitude (Collaborator, Team Player) OUTGOING PERSONALITY

2. Aptitude for technical skills at a Help Desk level

3. Accountability (She does not want to worry that they will do what they say)

4. Agility (Able to adapt to and navigate rapid change)

Duties
This position resolves any customer support issues and escalates any technical issues to a Technical Support Analyst as needed. This position also updates documentation regarding issue troubleshooting and resolution.
Answer inbound calls, creating issue ticket and documenting all issue details. Update ticket detail as needed until issues are closed.
Handle, document, and resolve or escalate any email issues presented.

Position Requirements
College degree in Information Technology or Technical college degree preferred but will consider candidates that have IT helpdesk experience .
Basic to intermediate technical knowledge
Intermediate communication & customer service skills
Intermediate call center skills
​A drug screen and criminal background investigation are required before beginning employment

Shifts
The center is open from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturdays. There is shift work and either a permanent Saturday or alternating Saturdays and although new employees are trained for a few weeks on a daytime schedule, once they are able to start performing the work independently, they are moved to their permanent schedule which is typically evenings. As earlier shifts become available, they can bid on those to move up to earlier start times. The latest shift is from 2 p.m. to 11 p.m. and the start times for the various shift hit every hour.

Benefits (attached)
Paid time off including vacation days, sick days and holidays
Ongoing training and development
Medical, dental & vision insurance
401(k) plan
Life insurance
Disability benefits
Employee Purchase Discounts

[Race Realists],

Below is a link to an active interview, a video interview, where you would record yourself providing answers to three questions. Please treat this as you would an actual face to face interview as this video clip will be forwarded to the client.

The only preparation that I am able to give you is to make sure you are equipped to answer questions pertaining to one of your greatest achievement, your greatest failure and also a short 4-5 minute summary on why you would be the best candidate for Aarons to interview. I would advise to keep the interview professional and make sure to limit any disturbances, excessive movements and unwelcomed noises during the recording.

Nervous as hell,

Never had an interview like this before.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Race Realists posted:

Nervous as hell,

Never had an interview like this before.

Don't be nervous. Given their concerns your competition doesn't seem to be people with Harvard MBAs. It sounds like if you have a degree, dress nicely, be friendly and keep your chill you'll do great.

Obviously keep your answers to how you can help Aaron's help desk. When you tell them about your greatest achievement try using the story format you learned in grade school if story telling isn't your forte. (Character intro->conflict->SUCCESS!) If it is then don't be nervous cause man those are some softball questions.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 17, 2015

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
At my Student Assistant "job" I recently encouraged the staff to come up with an online version of their exam sign ups. I guess that's something IT related?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Race Realists posted:

At my Student Assistant "job" I recently encouraged the staff to come up with an online version of their exam sign ups. I guess that's something IT related?

Just be focused on how you're able to fulfill this role and better the company. Seems like a decent job since it has benefits and what not and doesnt require a degree. Still, one of the core functions of the company is repossessing lamps so I bet they find hiring someone like you, who is eager to perform well, a challenge. Let them know youre there to fix that.

"Honey, we didnt pay the lamp rent this month....theyre going to repossess them"

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 17, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Yeah, don't be worried, but make sure you practice, those video interviews can be weird if you're used to getting some sort of feedback.

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008

Miss Ginger posted:

you sure she wasn't just taking notes on her phone? unlikely I suppose.

in any case it's outside your realm of influence. just pretend she had a good reason so it doesn't ruin your mood, maybe her dog just got sent to the emergency room or something

stickykeys
Sep 9, 2015
I keep getting interest from employers saying they've found my CV which includes big corporations, government and police but once I have the telephone interview I'm told they're not going to progress to a face-to-face. I'm not sure whether just to keep applying for jobs or I should work out exactly what I'm doing wrong...

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

stickykeys posted:

I keep getting interest from employers saying they've found my CV which includes big corporations, government and police but once I have the telephone interview I'm told they're not going to progress to a face-to-face. I'm not sure whether just to keep applying for jobs or I should work out exactly what I'm doing wrong...

Keep applying, work it out in the mean time.

stickykeys
Sep 9, 2015

CarForumPoster posted:

Keep applying, work it out in the mean time.

I'm just getting a bit worried that at some point agencies will see I've been turned down a lot and won't waste their time putting me forward for jobs.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

stickykeys posted:

I'm just getting a bit worried that at some point agencies will see I've been turned down a lot and won't waste their time putting me forward for jobs.

What agencies? What database of job applications are you talking about?

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I'm in a weird professional position and maybe other goons have some insight as to how to proceed.

I'm finishing a one-year grant appointment. A similar job has been posted at my (very small) workplace, and the institution's executives have met with me privately to encourage me to apply. Tomorrow, I'll re-submit my resume and cover letter for this new position.

The big problem is that the past year, I've done....very little at work. My immediate supervisor has been either absent, disorganized, or hasn't given me things to do, despite my repeated requests. I met with the previously-mentioned executives about five months ago to express concern ("I really want to work, I love my work, but I'm worried because my supervisor hasn't been giving me any, despite asking - help?") and while they were receptive and thanked me, nothing changed. I haven't received any kind of meaningful feedback from my supervisor (or execs) about my work, despite requests. The place in general is catastrophically mismanaged, but it's exactly in my field (and I really need another year or two of experience before I move on).

In the past year, I received my graduate degree, was awarded a fellowship in my field, and have worked conscientiously to maintain and improve professional competencies in my field. I drummed this up in my cover letter, partly because I'm proud but mostly because I'm trying to compensate for how little professional development has occurred in the last year at my workplace.

I'm on tricky ground, because I like the place where I work but also desperately want to take on more responsibilities and professionally grow - which, if I remain under this supervisor, isn't going to happen. I don't want to lambast my current supervisor, but I know that - given the opportunity to work for another supervisor in this new position, I would thrive.

Can anyone give me advice on how to prepare for the upcoming interview, without making GBS threads things up terribly?

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 22, 2015

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If they know you, they're probably well aware of the situation as far as being given work. Not super familiar with grant appointments, but if it were something like an internship or they approached it that way, that could explain some of it.

Don't go into it feeling defensive. You're self-conscious about your lack of development, so drill yourself on interview questions and focus on what you HAVE done.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

stickykeys posted:

Agencies? What? I have never had a recruiter do poo poo for me that actually went anywhere. I have one friend (of 25+ I have discussed the topic with) in finance who had a Robert Half recruiter help them land a thing, otherwise they've been utter poo poo.

Recruiters outside of the company youre applying to = travel agents = realtors.

Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FFG1NqKzCg

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My guess is by "agencies" he means government agencies, but it was not clear.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Recruiters / HR people... What system or service are you using for Microsoft Office skill testing?

Currently have a very limited budget and after web searches cant find anything decent. Any testing recommendations I should look at before spending the time to make my own?

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I just applied for a job with a comically diverse range of skills they're expecting from applicants.Knowledgeable in multiple academic fields with a background in web design/development, public relations, graphics design, video editing, programming, statistics, and teaching. I'm not really sure what to make of it. I'm really good at some of those things and have only the vaguest knowledge of others. Every other job interview I've had has been for very specific projects with narrow skill requirements so interviewing for a gig that seems to expect you to be a super polymath is intimidating.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Did you apply or have they called you for an interview? The "preferred" skills is really just a wishlist; if you don't meet their minimum requirements, they aren't going to interview you. Do you have degrees or certifications in any of those areas, or have they listed the same as requirements?

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I just sent an application last night. I meet all the minimum requirements but the preferred stuff has me worried simply because I don't know which skills I should focus on brushing up on in case they offer an interview and a skills test comes up. For instance, they want skills in php, ArcMap, drupal, sql, python, R, SAS, Stata, and Adobe's photo/video editing software. Some of those I have some passing experience with (SAS and PHP )and would need some reading time to do anything complex. Others I'm very good with and have actually taught classes on (ArcMap and R) but my skills are a bit rustier than I'd prefer . For things like Adobe Creative Suite and creating interactive web graphics I haven't had to do anything beyond some light photoshop work and tweaking websites for lab groups. Its just such a long list of skills without emphasis on any particular one that I'm not sure if I should read up on the ones I'm not so comfortable with but think might be lesser parts of the job or focus on the stuff I'm pretty sure will be a big deal but could do with some polishing.

I think the stats stuff scares me the most. When I've had to put on my stats hat in professional environments its always been for people or companies who don't have much knowledge themselves and just want me to get the job done so I've been able to rely on methods and tools I'm most comfortable with (this generally means working in R and excel). Its a stupid and unprofessional mentality but working for someone who actually knows as much or more than I do is foreign and scary for me.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 3, 2015

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

NancyPants posted:

Did you apply or have they called you for an interview? The "preferred" skills is really just a wishlist; if you don't meet their minimum requirements, they aren't going to interview you. Do you have degrees or certifications in any of those areas, or have they listed the same as requirements?

I wouldnt say they aren't...its just unlikely. I wouldnt discourage people from applying because they have 2 years experience and it says min 3-5, 5-10 preferred.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I suppose that's true, but if you're going to ignore their posted minimums, wouldn't you only want to do that if you know you'd be a strong candidate because you're well-qualified for the skills they list?

I don't know anything about tech hiring, other than that they will give you skills tests. I don't know what the norm is as far as not meeting requirements.

stickykeys
Sep 9, 2015
Is it ok to apply for job X but when asked where I see my career path going, say I'd like to work in job X for a couple of years at which time I'll have completed some studying at which point I'll move into job Y (which is in the same industry, a role offered by that company but I'm not qualified for)? I thought it was quite reasonable to say this as many people might say they'd like to be a manager in a couple of years time.

Yet a couple of weeks later I was told I wasn't successful and the main reason was because I was more interested in doing job Y.

Am I supposed to say I want to get job X and that'll do me until retirement?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

stickykeys posted:

Is it ok to apply for job X but when asked where I see my career path going, say I'd like to work in job X for a couple of years at which time I'll have completed some studying at which point I'll move into job Y (which is in the same industry, a role offered by that company but I'm not qualified for)? I thought it was quite reasonable to say this as many people might say they'd like to be a manager in a couple of years time.

Yet a couple of weeks later I was told I wasn't successful and the main reason was because I was more interested in doing job Y.

Am I supposed to say I want to get job X and that'll do me until retirement?

Why would they not hire someone excited for the job at hand? Being a manager is a bit different because (ideally) its a position that you get to by be being good what they hired you for.

NancyPants posted:

I suppose that's true, but if you're going to ignore their posted minimums, wouldn't you only want to do that if you know you'd be a strong candidate because you're well-qualified for the skills they list?

I don't know anything about tech hiring, other than that they will give you skills tests. I don't know what the norm is as far as not meeting requirements.

Yes. Also I agree with your comment about tech hiring. When I got my tech industry job I read the technical bible of the subject they were hiring me for and watched every webinar I could.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
I have an interview tomorrow as a tutor for a primary school class. I am told that I will be tested on my mathematics ability and my writing.

What would the test be composed of? Would it be like an ability test taken for graduate level jobs or something simpler?

• Locked thread