Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Ron Don Volante posted:

What's the consensus on sending a thank you note/email after an interview? Is it expected now?

I've never sent a thank you note to an interviewer. I was told by my current employer that the only time he would send thank you notes was if he felt he messed something up in the interview and used the thank you note as a way to smooth it over:

"Thanks for having me in today. I really appreciated the opportunity to talk about xyz and was glad I could tell you about some of the experience I have with xyz. Please don't hesitate to call or e-mail if you have any additional questions or need further clarification." etc.

I also recently got the opportunity to interview a few people for an entry level staff accounting position where I work and no one has sent me a thank you letter and I don't think any less of them for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

usernamen_01 posted:

After reading this thread, it seems like it is mostly geared towards people already established inside an industry. What kind of technical questions could a new graduate expect in an interview to "prove" his training in school?

This is largely dependent on your field. They will most likely ask you some basic questions about whatever your field is (and what you should have learned in college) to make sure you aren't an idiot.

For example in accounting they will often ask a few basic journal entry type questions. I've heard for software they will ask similar software related questions.

If you're looking for industry specific questions you will need to be more specific.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
In my experience (I've seen about 20-30 people hired at my current company for various tasks ranging from production line workers to a revenue accountant) a hiring decision has never been swayed by a followup e-mail. However it is very true that you aren't hurting yourself by sending one (unless you make a poo poo load of typos/grammatical errors). Your situation is a little more complicated though.

You could always write one to every person you interviewed this time around, and if given the opportunity, claim you did the first time as well. It would be a little weird to write 5, wait 3 weeks, write 9.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Ron Don Volante posted:

^ Alright, fair enough. The company I'm interviewing with also asked me for my expected salary, including base, bonus, and equity. This will be my first full-time position. What the hell do I say? I can get the salary (which is way above the average entry-level salary) off of glassdoor but I have no idea what to put down for bonus and equity. Should I ask for a 51% share of the company?

edit--Apparently Glassdoor has benefits info as well. The average for this position is 60k base, 20k cash bonus, 5k stock bonus. That seems really ridiculous for entry-level; I was expecting more like 45-50k. Should I go for the lower range on Glassdoor?

What industry/market/area are you in? This sounds extremely high for entry level, but if you're looking at a high tech startup in CA or NY it might be about right.

If that position is for an entry level office admin in rural Ohio you are probably pretty far off base. It's always best to just not say anything or say "competitive for the area/industry", wait until they make an offer, and then counter if you feel you have leverage or if it's too low.

ianskate posted:

Does anyone have pointers in regards to all-day interviews? What's involved in these sessions, and what's the ultimate goal?

My buddy did a half day interview at a well respected winery. He interviewed one on one with the entire "team" he would be working with as well as the supervisor, manager, and director. It was for a web development type position so he was asked varying levels of technical questions for close to four and a half hours without any real breaks. YMMV

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

the posted:

My last job on my resume I was let go from. How do I respond to the question, "Why did you leave your last job?" or "Have you ever been fired from a job?"

To really answer this it helps to know why you were let go. If the company was sold or you were laid off due to downsizing or something you should be okay. However since you asked how to respond to "Have you ever been fired from a job" it leads me to believe you did something stupid to get yourself fired. If you can somehow spin it into some "learning experience" bs you can probably go with that. I've only ever been laid off or quit, but was always told if you're fired from a job for serious reasons it's best to leave it off your resume. However if it was something like theft and you were charged for it, it's going to show up on a background check.

EDIT: Here's a thread where someone asked a similar question.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553995

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 13, 2013

• Locked thread