Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

After my second interview with a company I got a verbal offer and submitted paperwork for a background check. It is my understanding that a written offer will come pending my check results (which should be clean). That's all very straightforward.

What's confusing me is they've mentioned a starting date of [verbal offer + 2 weeks], when I likely won't receive the written offer until a few days before then. Is it expected that people will give notice following a verbal offer? That sounds idiotic to me.
I had something similar happen to me, but their company policy required two weeks between accepting the offer and the actual start date. I was in contact with my prospective manager and an HR associate, I would contact them and ask at an appropriate time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm starting looking for a new job, but I'm not sure how to answer why I'm leaving my current company. I'm leaving because for the past month, it's been one five day work week followed by a 12 day, and starting at the end of next week, it's all 12 days for the forseeable future. Can I just say that, or is that talking bad about my current company?
Just be sure to phrase it in a way that you are running to the prospective company, rather than away from your old one, and you should be fine. "I heard your company valued life-work balance and I was interested in pursuing that" or something similar.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Richardanator posted:

I had a job interview for an awesome engineering internship last Friday. The hiring manager called me today and told me he'd like to set up an informal interview "at a Starbucks or something". I'm curious what your take on this might be. Do I have the job and this is more of a meeting to discuss the particulars of the job, or might there be somebody else in the running?
That sounds more like a first-pass vetting to make sure you can carry on a conversation and aren't otherwise broken. Hiring managers will typically screen the candidates before they get to the actual people who are requesting the position be filled so their (very expensive, compared to HR) time is not wasted. A lot of places will just do a phone interview first, but in-person can work if everyone involved is local.

Sounds like you got through the first pass of HR reviewing your resume, so congrats! For an engineering co-op or internship just display what limited knowledge you've picked up from classes and that you know how to follow directions and you should be ok. Follow the advice from this thread ("Think of a time when..." and have examples ready) and you'll do fine.

• Locked thread