Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

E: nm, over and done with

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

E: nm, over and done with

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 19, 2014

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I had some misgivings following my interview because I knew factually that the position was new and either the responsibilities were not clearly defined, or the manager (who was new to the department and possibly management itself) wasn't clear about them herself, but I figured everyone has to be new sometime. Two months in, and I'm very much questioning my decision to accept the job based solely on management.

Who here has declined an offer where the pay and the job fit what they were looking for, but they didn't have a good feeling about management? I'm curious what things others have dealt with.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

stickykeys posted:

I'm just getting a bit worried that at some point agencies will see I've been turned down a lot and won't waste their time putting me forward for jobs.

What agencies? What database of job applications are you talking about?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If they know you, they're probably well aware of the situation as far as being given work. Not super familiar with grant appointments, but if it were something like an internship or they approached it that way, that could explain some of it.

Don't go into it feeling defensive. You're self-conscious about your lack of development, so drill yourself on interview questions and focus on what you HAVE done.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Did you apply or have they called you for an interview? The "preferred" skills is really just a wishlist; if you don't meet their minimum requirements, they aren't going to interview you. Do you have degrees or certifications in any of those areas, or have they listed the same as requirements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I suppose that's true, but if you're going to ignore their posted minimums, wouldn't you only want to do that if you know you'd be a strong candidate because you're well-qualified for the skills they list?

I don't know anything about tech hiring, other than that they will give you skills tests. I don't know what the norm is as far as not meeting requirements.

• Locked thread