Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
After my second interview with a company I got a verbal offer and submitted paperwork for a background check. It is my understanding that a written offer will come pending my check results (which should be clean). That's all very straightforward.

What's confusing me is they've mentioned a starting date of [verbal offer + 2 weeks], when I likely won't receive the written offer until a few days before then. Is it expected that people will give notice following a verbal offer? That sounds idiotic to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I gave a written thank-you note and the hiring manager told me he was impressed by that during the second interview. This was for a job at a super traditional office in the south, so your mileage will definitely vary.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Mad Wack posted:

I think it's an insurance policy. I've never met a hiring manager that's been offended by one, and when I hire it's a small plus in my book. You might as well do it to cover your bases. Especially in any job where they want strong follow-up or following leads. It's sort of demonstrating that you have basic follow-up skills. Keep it really short though or you'll blow it.

That's a really good point re: leads. My interview was for a sales position, and showing that you have follow-through on contacts is really important for those.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

yoohoo posted:

Coming from the interviewee side, what would be the best thing an "okay" fit could do to get the edge over a "great" fit?

In my experience, not much. Like FAN OF NICKELBACK and Volmarias said were getting at, "fit" is holistic. When I was interviewing for the last round of hiring my team did, the differences between "okay" and "great" were wide enough that even if the okay candidate had been world-class in one of their strengths they would still have lagged behind in too many areas.

Vague and discouraging, I know. But that's par for the course in hiring from what I've seen.

• Locked thread