Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I just applied for a job with a comically diverse range of skills they're expecting from applicants.Knowledgeable in multiple academic fields with a background in web design/development, public relations, graphics design, video editing, programming, statistics, and teaching. I'm not really sure what to make of it. I'm really good at some of those things and have only the vaguest knowledge of others. Every other job interview I've had has been for very specific projects with narrow skill requirements so interviewing for a gig that seems to expect you to be a super polymath is intimidating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I just sent an application last night. I meet all the minimum requirements but the preferred stuff has me worried simply because I don't know which skills I should focus on brushing up on in case they offer an interview and a skills test comes up. For instance, they want skills in php, ArcMap, drupal, sql, python, R, SAS, Stata, and Adobe's photo/video editing software. Some of those I have some passing experience with (SAS and PHP )and would need some reading time to do anything complex. Others I'm very good with and have actually taught classes on (ArcMap and R) but my skills are a bit rustier than I'd prefer . For things like Adobe Creative Suite and creating interactive web graphics I haven't had to do anything beyond some light photoshop work and tweaking websites for lab groups. Its just such a long list of skills without emphasis on any particular one that I'm not sure if I should read up on the ones I'm not so comfortable with but think might be lesser parts of the job or focus on the stuff I'm pretty sure will be a big deal but could do with some polishing.

I think the stats stuff scares me the most. When I've had to put on my stats hat in professional environments its always been for people or companies who don't have much knowledge themselves and just want me to get the job done so I've been able to rely on methods and tools I'm most comfortable with (this generally means working in R and excel). Its a stupid and unprofessional mentality but working for someone who actually knows as much or more than I do is foreign and scary for me.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 3, 2015

• Locked thread