Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
^: Yes, if your thank you note mentions something we talked about, a question I asked/you asked, or something like that, I am 10000% more likely to care about it and actually bother to follow up on your app. If it is a generic "you're awesome and so is this job", I just kind of ignore it.

Bugamol posted:

To really answer this it helps to know why you were let go. If the company was sold or you were laid off due to downsizing or something you should be okay. However since you asked how to respond to "Have you ever been fired from a job" it leads me to believe you did something stupid to get yourself fired. If you can somehow spin it into some "learning experience" bs you can probably go with that. I've only ever been laid off or quit, but was always told if you're fired from a job for serious reasons it's best to leave it off your resume. However if it was something like theft and you were charged for it, it's going to show up on a background check.

EDIT: Here's a thread where someone asked a similar question.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553995

Yeah, ~as a manager~, if you tell me you got fired but you can explain what you did wrong and the steps you've taken to make sure it won't happen again, it is completely cool with me. However, if you say "I got fired because those jackasses expected me to show up on time, I mean, how dare they amirite guys? :rolleyes:"... that's a different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Crotch Fruit posted:

Trip report- I had my interview with the local union today. Somehow, I was scheduled as the first interview of the day, closely followed by 3 "apprentice helpers" (employed by union contractors, not part of union), the lady checking us in joked with the helpers and said "Unless you really screw up today, you already have the job!". :suicide:

Beyond that, I think I answered questions well and acted professionally, but I'm pretty sure I messed up one question: "what accomplishment are you most proud of?" Well poo poo, I'm not really proud of any of my accomplishments, sure I graduated high school, went to college, and have held a job for the last 5 years (with no promotion) but I kinda fell like all that poo poo is just what people do, it doesn't make me feel like I am proud or that I have accomplished anything. So my response was a brief pause followed by "I cant think of anything specific at the moment." I fully believe that response probably eliminated all my chances of getting in, but honestly I don't think I would have had any chance in hell of getting in even with perfect answers.

I also went in with a suit and tie, EVERYONE else, all other applicants and the men doing the interview wore blue jeans, I know I made some sort of impression this morning. . .

That was a bad answer, but may not be a dealbreaker if you gave them reason to think you're motivated to succeed and interested in the field otherwise. Keep your chin up - a no isn't a no until they call you and say it is.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

electricHyena posted:

This is a great thread, which I would have stumbled across it sooner!

I had a face-to-face interview 13 days ago at a great company for a position that fits my skillset perfectly. This was the 2nd interview (first one was over the phone), and overall I feel like I did pretty well. At the end of the interview, the hiring manager told me it might take 2 weeks ("but hopefully a lot sooner than that") for them to decide, but that I would hear back no matter the outcome.

So, tomorrow will be 2 weeks exactly and I haven't heard anything. Should I send a follow-up email tomorrow, or will it come across as desperate/annoying?

Once their timeline runs out, feel free to ping them again. "Hi, EH here - still very excited about working for Chocolate Teapots, Inc. Can you let me know if you have an updated timeline for next steps?"

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
They actually can make you give them a W2 or equivalent, in the US. Several people have had offers revoked for lying about their past salary if they were stupid enough to tell somebody it. This is why it is extremely important not to disclose this information at all, because you can have an offer taken or be fired for lying during the interview process.

It's a really lovely move but there are plenty of companies that do it.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Eh, as a hiring manager, if I read those responses, I'd no longer be interested. I'd picture an exchange of: "Hey, sheneedstherapy, can you do XYZ?" "Well, I'd really like to evaluate what it's like to consider continuing activities potentially at some point what it would look like in the near future contemplating the completion of this work to our mutual aid and benefit."

The current salary/salary history questions are indeed none of their business. The salary expectations one is reasonable and the only reasonable way to deflect it IMO is to say "Specific amounts would depend on the scope and responsibilities of the role", not the "I want to show you how great I am for the role" stuff. If you can't price the role, how can you possibly say with the degree of certainty you're trying to how you'd be the best possible person ever for it?

I think you can much more simply address this by combining 1 and 2 and saying "Because of confidentiality agreements I've made with past employers, I'm not comfortable providing this information" and then giving an honest answer for your expectations; take your current total comp (add up the value of everything you get - salary, benefits, holidays, RRSP match, whatever), add 20%, and add x% adjustment for how much more responsibility/etc. you think you'd have and say "For total compensation, I'm looking for something around $X to move. Obviously we can negotiate how the different components of compensation get to that amount."

• Locked thread