Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deegan
Dec 12, 2008
I wanted to thank Fan of Nickleback and everyone else who has given advice in this, and the previous, thread.

I also want to thank Dusting Duvet for the resume and coverletter service

I had an interview today at a firm that I'm very interested in. It had been six years since my last, non informational, interview. I think I hit it out of the park.

This interview was a huge contrast to an informational interview I attended about 6 weeks ago where I 'Honestly' gave my opinion about my completely disfunctional employer. I remember rambling around questions they asked about my direction and my goals and I gave my income history without batting an eye. Looking back I shake my head at how pathetic I probably seemed.

I've spent the last 10 days practicing the OP's methods and refining my professional profile so that I could present myself as the best candidate for this position. The 1-5 scale for answering questions, and the advice to never say anything bad about anyone, redefined my interview process. I prepared, did my research and used every bit of advice from these threads that I could manage. It works!

When asked "Do you have any questions for us?" I used an answer directly from the OP: "What can you tell me about this companies management philosophy that you find most effective?" I changed it to fit my style and it elicited a "That is a GREAT question". Bonus: It was something that my interviewer had actively been working on the last 6 months. Because my current job is so disfunctionaly managed it was not an empty question on my part. I wanted to know if they even HAD a management philosophy.

Deegan fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deegan
Dec 12, 2008

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

Uh. So nothing else is getting added to the OP; it hit the 50,000 word limit and I didn't save a second post because that seemed kinda ridiculous for a post on how to interview.

So, by definition, I have written a novel on successful interviewing practices (contributions included, of course).

On a comedy forum.

. . .

*updates resume*

Why did I see an achievement window pop up when I read this?

:ssh: Remember, don't put your gamer score in your resume.

• Locked thread