Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've been invited to a competency based interview. Got this link:
https://careers.un.org/lbw/home.aspx?viewtype=AYI
Explaining what I should prepare for. I've recently had a fairly similar interview, where I've bumbled my way through a bunch of (what turned out to be) fairly common "experience + positive lesson" and "unorthodox question + show me you can think on your feet" stuff, and this time around I'm trying to be a bit more prepared. Reading through the thread as we speak. It's a translation / research position, and my prior experience was mostly in freelance translation work and academic writing.

What kind of things should I emphasize - or, more importantly, what kind of common statements would probably make total sense to me as a freelancer but would act a huge "don't hire this guy" flag for the interviewer?

I have a lot of "competence" or "problem solving" stories I managed to come up with, but not a shitload of "people skills" or "social interaction" stories, which might be a problem (doing freelance work specifically because it doesn't require working with a team / direct supervisor). Do I embellish some things? Try to bring in stories from other lines of work? (I've spent a large part of my student years as a reception clerk, mostly in the night shift, and I can kinda come up with "problem with a co-worker - action - result" stories there)

Edit - forgot to ask a very specific question. I tend to drink a lot of water, particularly when I talk. The last time I had an interview, the interviewer caught onto that and kept coming back to the whole "are you nervous, is there a problem of some sort?" angle. Is there a non-aggressive / non-boorish way to go "just so you know, I'm going to drink an entire bottle while we talk, doesn't mean much of anything" at the outset of the interview?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread