Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You're still missing Fan of Nickelback's point, though: It's not a guide to getting a job, it's a guide to succeeding in interviews. Getting a job involves poo poo like being competent, interviewing well is a completely different skillset.

What you're saying is "The most important thing is to be competent for the job you're interviewing for"; that's a given and not what's being discussed here at all. No matter how good you are at interviewing, if you're full of poo poo, you're full of poo poo. If you aren't, though, having your ducks in a row before the call helps tremendously.

Plus I think you're referring mostly to technical interviews over the phone as opposed to the more traditional phone screening that's done by recruiters and HR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

StarSiren posted:

I seem to have this problem of not being able to get past HR interviews and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I clearly sell myself ok on paper, as I get a decent amount of call backs, but I can never seem to get past the HR screening. I've gone over all the usual questions, practiced with a friend, tried to smile and walk confidently, etc etc... But I'm clearly failing to sell myself. Any additionally pointers?

I haven't had steady employment, in a professional career field, for almost a year now and it's draining me emotionally. I've been volunteering and freelancing to fill the gaps and keep up on my skills, but I can't seem to get beyond this point. Thoughts?

Well you didn't say what was wrong, so can you walk us through what a typical interview is like in your experience?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You could get passed over for wearing a piercing; you won't get passed over for not having one.

Seems like a pretty easy decision to me. After that, see what everyone else in the office does. Heck I usually show up to the office on Friday in jeans and a t-shirt, but I wouldn't have gotten hired if I hadn't worn a suit to the interviews. It's not dishonest, it's what's expected.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

I have not had compensation discussed in an interview except for a job that was so high stress the salary is what brought people in. Compensation offer usually comes with a concrete job offer and you bring it up then.

Seriously, don't bring up compensation at the first interview; if they bring it up don't name a number. Deflect the question, basically.

You're also assuming that you're going to get an offer from both jobs, which is far from guaranteed. Approach each interview separately, and do your best to get the job you're interviewing for. Until you have a written offer, that other job doesn't exist.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ron Don Volante posted:

When companies ask for 3 references, are they expecting to contact all 3 or do they just want one or two extras in case they can't get in contact with the first reference?

Any time you give a reference, you should expect that reference to be contacted. Whether they do or don't makes no difference.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

tiananman posted:

In my field (copywriting/marketing/advertising/publishing), I would want someone to ask me what I think sums up the entire purpose of the job and how I can fill that role.

I have lots of opinions about my field and the role it plays and how I fit into it, but sometimes I feel like interviewerss talk about a lot of the superficial standard bullshit without really discussing the BIG questions of why the role exists and how it fits together with the business's goals, etc.

If they're interviewing for the position, they've already decided they needed someone to fulfill that role and they ought to have a pretty good idea what it is. By all mean discuss the exact position and responsibilities though.

I'd also keep my strong opinions about the industry to myself during an interview, but that's just me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

swenblack posted:

If you want to score better, add "They're trying some creative new things to increase user engagement. Do I have enough time to tell you about some of them?" and have two or three specific examples on how you could increase user engagement, or whatever you do to add value.

Depending on the field, that might not be such a great idea. Trade secrets and all that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

I agree with you entirely, I think, in that it's the difference between "but I don't want to badmouth them . . . " and "don't even get me started!" The easiest way I have to explain it is "the closer you come to name-calling, the further away your are from a job." Sound like what you're getting at?

No, it's the difference between saying something negative about a previous employer, at all, and still being in the running for a job. If you use either "I don't want to badmouth them" or "Don't even get me started!" in a job interview, that's pretty much going to be it, sorry.

Be positive. Always.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

just wear a suit. You will never be faulted for wearing a suit outside of some small places in bizarro startup land.

Possibly retail or blue collar jobs.

But yeah, unless you know you shouldn't wear a suit, wear a loving suit. Unless you know the industry well enough to be sure, be the guy who's new who wears a suit to the interview, that's fine.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Last guy we hired passed his final interview six months before he started.

That's how long it took for funding to get approved. It got denied a few time in that period, but eventually someone changed their mind,

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

I doubt my answer is the best, what should I have wrote down? This was for a retail, non-comission based job.

I'm going to go ahead and guess the answer is something really, really stupid.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I interviewed for a job as a black jack dealer about 10 years ago; hosed up basic mental math during the interview ("What's 1.5 time $25?")

Didn't get the job. That was my worst interview ever, but then I only had about 6 or 7 in my life.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wear a suit.

When in doubt, wear a suit.

It's a very, very, very, very rare employer that will judge you negatively for wearing a suit to a job interview, and if this was one of them you'd know.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

Hypotethically, would it have been better for me to answer that question by saying that I am not proud of my accomplishments? Something like "Yes I graduated high school and college, but I feel those are just achievements that normal people should do. They are not accomplishments I am proud of because they have not benefited me or improved my life and career. What I do feel most proud of, is a small accomplishment, in that I have held my last job for six years, and I am very good at the work I perform. My employer does not offer many awards for recognition, however I know they recognize me. That last time that I was sick and could not work, when I called to let them know, my boss said 'wow, you must be really sick, you have never called in'."

Similarly, should I be concerned with the remarks from the secretary? Hypotethically, if you went in to a job interview, and in the waiting room, the interviewer came out and high fived his/her best friend and said "it's going to be so fun to work with you this job is yours!", would that be breaking sort of law or unethical or anything? I am not particularly bothered by the fact the people who are helpers have a significantly better chance of getting in. What I am bothered by is going in for an interview, and being told the next three people after you are literally already hired. Hearing that had a tremendous impact on the quality of my interview, but at this point, I don't believe there is anything I can do about it.

That's a pretty unoriginal interview question; make sure you have an answer ready for the next one. If you haven't read 30 Seconds and You're Hired (Is it in the OP? It should be in the OP), you should. Best investment I've ever made.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A 10-15 person interviews sounds like terribly inefficient management. Hey let's spend upward of 15 man hours on a single interview!

Don't anguish while you wait to hear back, keep applying to other places. Never stop applying (until you get an offer in writing.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

I'm applying for positions in the field of Child Services within my county. Would it considered kosher to mention personal life experiences when answering questions? Or would it be best to stick to professional anecdotes? For instance, if I was to be asked about why this position interests me, would it make sense to mention the fact that I have a child within the age range of whom I would be assisting which I feel gives me added experience and incentive to pursue said job? Or should I just say that I am interested in the position because it aligns with my future goals (working within the county, preferably with children) and will allow me to utilize my college degree (in Family Studies)?

I'd stick to the professional anecdotes. I dated a social worker of some sort for a few years, and my understanding is that they'd rather not have people who'll get too emotionally invested in their clients.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

HOLY poo poo! I got an interview tomorrow morning! THe guy called me about a half hour ago to set it up! :woop:

Small problem, It's for a AT&T Store and I don't think I know THAT much about cell phones and such. Can anyone here give me a hand? What are some of the important poo poo I should know?

Unless it's a technical position, they're not going to care so much about your knowledge of cell phone. More about your customer service and sales skills.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't blather about how I am so excited! for new opportunities! for an hour.

Start practising.

Why are you leaving your current job anyway?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I have an exploratory interview scheduled next week, with a company that I'm pretty sure isn't hiring at the moment (they just completed a fairly large round of hiring). Anyone has clues as to what to expect?

I'm not especially keen on travelling out of pocket for an exploratory, but hey, an interview's an interview and it's not that far.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It's not a high growth company, the HR rep was completely unprepared, they don't have any jobs for the foreseeable future. It was a complete waste of time, and I was pretty insulted. Seriously they asked if I'd consider an internship. I have over five years of experience.

I got a job somewhere else in the meantime. Ironically enough it's a job that the above HR rep said I was woefully unqualified for.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Lots of places have it right on the application forms.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Is this an actual company? Actual companies have offices and conference rooms they use for interviews.

Unless you're not local to them and the interviewer just happens to be travelling through your area or something, it seems a bit weird to me. Job interviews are not usually informal affairs; there's a reason HR is usually present.

Different industries might do things differently I guess.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Miss Ginger posted:

Has anyone had an interviewer texting the whole time? I legitimately couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a stress interview thing or if she's just a dick. She'd directly ask me a question and start texting as I responded :wtc:

She's a jackass, you don't want to work for a company that tolerates that poo poo from a manager or HR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Miss Ginger posted:

It's an extremely large pharmaceutical corporation and I'd really like to work for them, in theory. It's a great position for me, but that panel just seemed so loving crazy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You clearly have not read Sundae's posts in the corporate thread.

Seriously, dude. Run like hell.

• Locked thread