Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Crotch Fruit posted:

Hypotethically, would it have been better for me to answer that question by saying that I am not proud of my accomplishments? Something like "Yes I graduated high school and college, but I feel those are just achievements that normal people should do. They are not accomplishments I am proud of because they have not benefited me or improved my life and career. What I do feel most proud of, is a small accomplishment, in that I have held my last job for six years, and I am very good at the work I perform. My employer does not offer many awards for recognition, however I know they recognize me. That last time that I was sick and could not work, when I called to let them know, my boss said 'wow, you must be really sick, you have never called in'."

Similarly, should I be concerned with the remarks from the secretary? Hypotethically, if you went in to a job interview, and in the waiting room, the interviewer came out and high fived his/her best friend and said "it's going to be so fun to work with you this job is yours!", would that be breaking sort of law or unethical or anything? I am not particularly bothered by the fact the people who are helpers have a significantly better chance of getting in. What I am bothered by is going in for an interview, and being told the next three people after you are literally already hired. Hearing that had a tremendous impact on the quality of my interview, but at this point, I don't believe there is anything I can do about it.

You seriously don't have anything that you're proud of? Never learned a skill, volunteered for an organization or anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

systran posted:

I just had a Skype interview where I felt it was going quite well. I tried to put the "fuzzy epilogue" into a lot of my answers and followed a lot of the advice in the OP.

I was giving clear answers with stories and not stalling or getting lost, trailing off, etc.

It was me being interviewed by 10-12 people, all co-workers and bosses I would have.

I had planned to take the advice from the OP and not ask questions just to ask questions, and I was going to simply ask when I would need to start if selected. I ended up having a question based on something they didn't clarify during the interview, so I asked it when it came time for me to ask questions. Right before that they had asked me when I'd be able to start if selected, so that question was gone.

After they answered the first question, one of the people said, "And what else would you like to ask us...that can't be all." The "...that can't be all" was thrown in at the last second and threw me for some reason. I had planned to close with just restating concisely that I was very interested in the job and that I felt I would be a great fit, but I got thrown off and ended up stalling a bit while I decided if I should ask another question. I realized I didn't want to ask some forced question, so I transitioned into saying I felt comfortable the job would be a good fit and that they had answered all my questions, but I'm sure it came off as unsure.

During all this, I had thought the interview had been going on for an hour and eight minutes, but it had actually only been 38 minutes. They told me earlier that the interview would be "about an hour, but could go longer."

Do you think I totally screwed up by not asking more questions? Does it seem like they expected me to spend 30 minutes asking them random stuff? I had read their website extensively and also had asked some questions during the interview, so I really didn't find it necessary to ask questions for the sake of doing so.

Since I am fairly sure I did well until the end, I'm hoping they just remember the good parts and don't mind that I ended the interview earlier than anticipated. It also seems like they didn't have enough questions planned out for the interview to actually be an hour, as I gave fairly long answers to many questions that involved telling stories of specific things I had done in x and y situations, yet answering their questions only took 30 minutes.

I've found that, from the other side of the table, that only about 1 in 10 candidates have enough questions. They can be really generic; I don't really care. Most of it is to see how well the candidate does in conversation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bobsedgws posted:

So question about asking questions in an interview - is asking the interviewer how long they've worked for the company and why they've stuck around that long good questions?

Good questions:
1. Asking how long someone's been there - gives context to answers
2. Asking what roles/projects the person has worked on - gives you the ability to follow up with relevant questions which may be related to your potential role

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

electricHyena posted:

This is a great thread, which I would have stumbled across it sooner!

I had a face-to-face interview 13 days ago at a great company for a position that fits my skillset perfectly. This was the 2nd interview (first one was over the phone), and overall I feel like I did pretty well. At the end of the interview, the hiring manager told me it might take 2 weeks ("but hopefully a lot sooner than that") for them to decide, but that I would hear back no matter the outcome.

So, tomorrow will be 2 weeks exactly and I haven't heard anything. Should I send a follow-up email tomorrow, or will it come across as desperate/annoying?

Really, the best thing would be to have another offer from another employer with a firm deadline, since that gives you an excuse to make contact again. But I don't think it's overly pushy. I might hold off for a day or two just to give them a buffer, but I don't think it would hurt your chances to ask about the process.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Any reason that you can't call the first place and ask for their input? I imagine that they have probably made their decision.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

systran posted:

I'm not thrilled about rushing them, and if for some reason they haven't yet decided I will make it sound like I have other options and maybe they wouldn't feel as bad picking someone else over me. I think I will email the second job now and say that I will let her know by Wednesday. When it really comes down to the wire I may have to call the first job and see what they say before committing to the flight.

If anything, having other options available is going to make you more attractive as a candidate. They know you're job searching. Have they given you a deadline for an offer? If not, it's not rude to ask when they will have their decision.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Buy a god drat suit. You are going to be a grown man, so you should have a suit. You can get a very decent CK white label suit for something around the $300-400 range. http://www.calvinklein.com/shop/en/ck/search/mens-suits-blazers Make sure it fits in the shoulders, everything else is tailor-able. Throw in $100 for tailoring (please tailor your suits, thanks in advance, this makes sure they fit right!!) and you're good to go.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There could very well have been a better candidate. Not getting an offer doesn't mean you hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My guess is by "agencies" he means government agencies, but it was not clear.

• Locked thread