Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Nice thread, as someone who has been interviewing candidates for many years myself, I think these are all very good tips. I guess one I'd add is, know your resume. I have interviewed quite a number of candidates who, when asked specific questions about items on their resume, failed miserably at these questions. I understand people are trying to get through the resume screening, but drawing a blank on something important you listed on your resume is an automatic boot in my book. If you need to make notes to yourself as you are writing the resume for things to review for an interview, that is fine, just review your notes before each interview to make sure it's fresh in your mind.

I'm curious, though. You mention income as being a bad question. Hopefully this is because it comes up long before you get to the actual interview? I have to say, I've been through a few processes where they try and hide the pay scale until the offer. This is the dumbest thing imaginable, just in my opinion. Sharp employees go for a premium, and unless you're a startup with an amazing work environment and are handing out significant chunks of the company as compensation, no one is going to come work for you at a paycut regardless of how 'wonderful' an opportunity you have. Personally, if I apply to the job and there's no range listed, I ask for a range in the phone screen, because I 'don't want to waste their time if we have different general ideas about compensation' (actually I don't want to waste my time interviewing with people who don't understand market rates).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Ha, that's a fair point. If you've ever had the problem of thinking you left money on the table then maybe we work in some pretty different industries. My experience leads me to act differently, but both ways can work. I've had companies call to recruit me and when I asked about the range the top end has been 5 figures under my current salary, let alone how much it would take for me to want to actually switch. I used to go by your train of thought until I got a few offers that were big pay cuts without room for negotiation. Total wastes of my time to take off work and interview. After that, I always ask.

• Locked thread