Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

ChairMaster posted:

So I need a couple good lies for the questions "What's your worst quality?" and "What's the deal with the long gap in your employment history?"

The true answers to both of these are not the sort of things that'll get me hired, they're "I'm a weird loser who doesn't connect with people, and I procrastinate every single thing in my life, and I stay up all night for no reason at all", and "I was just really depressed and didn't want to leave the house so I spent all my time playing video games and jerking off".

Like the first one you're supposed to be honest and talk about what your solution to what sucks about you is but I don't really have a solution, and nobody would hire someone with those problems even if I did. And the second one, I know you're supposed to talk about doing something constructive with your time, but I can't really think of anything I could make up that someone would believe. What should I say to these?

e: Also the gap in my employment history is almost 6 months long, and the reason for it is cause I got fired for not being good at my last job.

Just lie. Make poo poo up, use the thing the other guy said. You don't have to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

DanAdamKOF posted:

Any advice on coffee shop interviews? This is for a large and established company for a slightly-above-entry-level software position, the person I'm interviewing with requested we meet at a nearby coffee shop instead of the office.

Should I expect the same format as a typical in-office one-on-one interview, or is it likely they'll ask more oddball casual stuff like "What was your favorite vacation" and such? Should I dress exactly as I would for an in-office interview, or is there an expectation that I dress up a bit less (like lose the jacket keep the tie)?

I had an interview like this for a retail job. My experience was the questions were basically the same as in the backroom or whatever, the only thing is- since you are in an uncontrolled environment there are more chances of you doing something or encountering someone who screws you up.

For example- my interviewer was a hiring manager- not an HR person - and she offered to buy me coffee, which I accepted- I had to be mindful of what I ordered so I went with a small simple whatever, not a $9 drinks. Let them order first and follow their lead.

Next- it was in downtown Palo Alto and that Starbucks is SUPER busy with squatters so I had to be very careful. We lucked out and got a table but only barely. I was a little aggressive in grabbing one, which is a risk to take- but it worked to my advantage because that was the personality type she was hiring for.

There is also volume issues if it is crowded.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
Unfortunately recruiters and HR people don't really make the decision, but want to have something to say and tell you whatever to make sure you stay interested. I don't know if this means you are back to square 1 or not. They are probably arguing behind the scenes of how great you are and where to put you. It's definitely not a good sign that you have to do more to impress them. Things change so fast and they don't communicate with each other.

• Locked thread