Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
I have a couple of questions because I feel somewhat odd about a request I given prior to the interview. I'm being flown out to Texas for an entry level chemist job next week but the team manager asked me to provide him two letters of recommendation to him, although he didn't say when he wanted them.

I feel weird about this because I have 2 people I can ask from an internship I had in 2013, but I'm having trouble connecting with them. I'm currently working as a chemist, have been for 8 months (only want to relocate, otherwise I'd stay at my job for longer) since college graduation but I can't exactly ask my current bosses for letters or references until I have an offer in hand and pass the backgeound/drug checks. I already told him that I would try to get some to him, but how can I communicate that I'm having issues with my previous references and I can't use my actual good ones from my current job until they give me a firm offer, even if it is contingent on my current employers references? Also isn't it a little odd to be asking for letters of recommendation before even having a in person interview? I could provide a letter from a college friend that I tutored in organic, but I don't feel like that is a very strong letter, professionally speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

asur posted:

Any teachers you could ask? I don't think there's an issue saying that it's taking a little bit for the people to get back to you with the letters and I doubt he expected them before the interview since it's already a sunk cost for them.

No professors unfortunately, I just have my internship people and my current coworkers. My boss from my internship isn't returning my phone call so that looks like I won't even be able to use him as a reference, let alone a letter of recommendation!

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
Got done with an interview for a major company that flew me down to Texas on their dime for the interview. Had to meet 6 different people over the course of 2.5 hours. Quite a few weird things happened though. I had to wait 40 minutes in the MIDDLE of my interview because some of the interviewers were in meetings and one guy had just been promoted to be the manager of the team (he would be my boss) and the guy I had actually spoke with before had gotten promoted to a senior management position. The guy who would be my new boss had not even seen my resume until I gave him a copy. Probably one of the most disorganized interviews I've ever had, but I stuck with it.

Oh, and guys, proofread your resumes. I had the tiniest typo on mine, it was not a big deal but I did feel embarrassed about it (GC versus LC), very similar but very different analytical techniques.

• Locked thread