Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I had a very promising all-day interview last week for a tech company- it ended with the recruiter basically saying they were open to anything within reason to get me to join.

Then on Monday I got a call from him after the interviewers had a meeting. They want me to come back in next week to meet the team for one of the roles we discussed, which isn't quite the role I applied for.

I'm not quite sure what's up- I was under the impression that a single all-day interview is the norm. I'm sure recruiters are experts at flattering you to sell the company, but I really expected a job offer or a declination.

What should I expect from this 'meet the team' meeting? Does it sound like they're looking for a culture fit as a last screen, or am I basically starting at square one with a new role?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Sivlan posted:

Why do some people majorly inflate their salary range? Is this from some sort of self-help internet publication or something? I just had a bachelor's degree CS student ask me for $80k a year plus benefits for an entry level coding job. I mean, does he think I'm going to counter with $10k and then we'd work to something reasonable, like we're haggling in a flea market or something?

I just move on to the next guy.
I don't know where you're located, but 80K isn't unreasonable for an entry-level college graduate in Silicon Valley/ New York, is it?

• Locked thread