Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asur
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

My friend was invited to come to a job interview in a different country (both countries are in the EU), and the company is paying her the plane ticket. Prior to this she had a phone call, several emails, and she did a programming exercise (she's a software developer). If they offer her the job and salary, how acceptable is it to say that she'll consider and let them know in a few days? Are you supposed to negotiate the salary right there and then?

I don't know if it's different in Europe, but I've never heard of anyone getting an offer at the interview in the US and it's almost always acceptable to ask for a couple days to a week to decide after receiving the offer. I'd be very wary of any company that attempted to get someone to accept the job on the spot as it's rushing an important decision and not giving you time to look over the offer and decide how you want to negotiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

That makes sense, but the travel makes me thinking. Are they going to pay her two or three plane tickets to come several times? Or will they negotiate salary over email or Skype? Isn't it something that's usually done in person?

For both my jobs in software engineering, I got an offer via email and then email/phone negotiations. I've seen people go multiple times for several interviews, but never heard of anyone flying out again to negotiate an offer.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It doesn't really matter where your experience is from as long as you can answer the question, so just go with the best answer. I'm also skeptical about your answer to what motivates you. The way you phrase it seems like it could be easily twisted to mean that if you don't believe you can be successful then you won't be motivated. Also generally you don't want to mention things that reflect badly which dependent on the whole story underachieving may.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Absolutely you should. There are tons of calculators to convert your SoCal $ into Austin $. $100k in San Francisco is only $60k in Orlando FL. If someone was offered 70 in orlando they'd be living much better than on a low 6 figure SF Salary.

I agree that you should, but cost of living should be taken with a grain of salt. It's a guess using averages and it also only applies to certain expenses, housing, groceries, utilities, and transportation being the big ones.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

TheSpartacus posted:

I have a couple of questions because I feel somewhat odd about a request I given prior to the interview. I'm being flown out to Texas for an entry level chemist job next week but the team manager asked me to provide him two letters of recommendation to him, although he didn't say when he wanted them.

I feel weird about this because I have 2 people I can ask from an internship I had in 2013, but I'm having trouble connecting with them. I'm currently working as a chemist, have been for 8 months (only want to relocate, otherwise I'd stay at my job for longer) since college graduation but I can't exactly ask my current bosses for letters or references until I have an offer in hand and pass the backgeound/drug checks. I already told him that I would try to get some to him, but how can I communicate that I'm having issues with my previous references and I can't use my actual good ones from my current job until they give me a firm offer, even if it is contingent on my current employers references? Also isn't it a little odd to be asking for letters of recommendation before even having a in person interview? I could provide a letter from a college friend that I tutored in organic, but I don't feel like that is a very strong letter, professionally speaking.

Any teachers you could ask? I don't think there's an issue saying that it's taking a little bit for the people to get back to you with the letters and I doubt he expected them before the interview since it's already a sunk cost for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm starting looking for a new job, but I'm not sure how to answer why I'm leaving my current company. I'm leaving because for the past month, it's been one five day work week followed by a 12 day, and starting at the end of next week, it's all 12 days for the forseeable future. Can I just say that, or is that talking bad about my current company?

Saying you want better work life balance is a phrase it that doesn't bash the company. Also lets the interviewer know so you don't get hired at a similar place.

• Locked thread