Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I'm glad to hear what you think of "stress" interviews. I recently got to a 3rd interview with a Boise analytics company, which turned out to be a Skype panel interview with the company's founders, former Goldman Sachs traders. They attacked everything I said and went on weird tangents, and I somehow ended up having to defend the benefits of a liberal arts education. They didn't ask a single question relating to the actual position. Not a fun experience overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

What's the consensus on sending a thank you note/email after an interview? Is it expected now?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

A couple times now I've had this question come up in interviews and I'm not sure exactly what they're looking for.

"Let's say you have a great idea but your supervisor doesn't like it. How do you proceed?"

I answer something along the lines of: I'll try to communicate my idea as clearly as possible, making sure to understand their perspective on it. I'll present the ultimate results of my idea to my supervisor in order to clarify what the end goal is.
And then I'll follow up that answer with an example from my work experience of me convincing a supervisor about some good idea.

In both cases, the interviewer has followed that up with "What if your supervisor still doesn't want to approve your idea? What do you do then?"

To which I say I'll drop the idea or put it on the backshelf for now, as the boss knows better. But it doesn't seem like the interviewers are entirely happy with that answer. Is there something else I'm expected to say?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I have a phone interview with Amazon tomorrow and according to Glassdoor they ask at least one case question, which I have no experience with. Any idea on how to prepare for that?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

When companies ask for 3 references, are they expecting to contact all 3 or do they just want one or two extras in case they can't get in contact with the first reference?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

^ Alright, fair enough. The company I'm interviewing with also asked me for my expected salary, including base, bonus, and equity. This will be my first full-time position. What the hell do I say? I can get the salary (which is way above the average entry-level salary) off of glassdoor but I have no idea what to put down for bonus and equity. Should I ask for a 51% share of the company?

edit--Apparently Glassdoor has benefits info as well. The average for this position is 60k base, 20k cash bonus, 5k stock bonus. That seems really ridiculous for entry-level; I was expecting more like 45-50k. Should I go for the lower range on Glassdoor?

Ron Don Volante fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 9, 2013

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

antiga posted:

Not if those are the averages for the actual position you're applying for. Don't sell yourself short for no reason.

It just feels strange going from offers in the 30's to asking for 85k total compensation.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Bugamol posted:

What industry/market/area are you in? This sounds extremely high for entry level, but if you're looking at a high tech startup in CA or NY it might be about right.

If that position is for an entry level office admin in rural Ohio you are probably pretty far off base. It's always best to just not say anything or say "competitive for the area/industry", wait until they make an offer, and then counter if you feel you have leverage or if it's too low.

Big tech company in Seattle. I ended up asking for around the bottom 1/3rd of the Glassdoor range, just hope it doesn't backfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I'd move on. If they wanted to get back to you, they would have. You could send them an email if you want but I wouldn't expect anything.

• Locked thread