Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Sivlan posted:

Try yourself out on the question that managed to kill the most candidates in my most recent round of interviews:

Describe a time when you went above the "call of duty" in a job or school setting.

Why did you choose to do so?

How did that kill candidates? Please tell me it doesn't involve Call of Duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for talk about giving interviews. My apologies if it isn't.

I just had to interview some job candidates on my own (I had sat in on other interviews) for the first time in a while and I think I kind of made a mess of it. In one of them I completely forgot about the "do you have any questions for us" part which made the ending rather awkward when he reminded me. I think I also forgot a bunch of the pro forma questions: tell me about yourself, why are you looking to change jobs, etc. What I did do, that I thought was really helpful at seeing who really knew what they were talking about, was ask some open ended, job related process questions. Someone asks you to build us the capability to do X, how would you go about that? Your resume doesn't mention any experience with Y, if you needed to learn Y, how would you go about it?

I'm curious what people's thoughts on that approach are. Nobody seemed terribly put off by the questions but they likely had their poker faces on. Is there any reason why questions like that are a bad idea? They might be a little susceptible to BSing, but I think I'd rather have someone who said, "I'd look on Google" than "I have no idea."

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I have a question: Is there a SomethingAwful group that gets together and interviews each other (skype im guessing)? SOME OF US DON'T HAVE FRIENDS. No, not really, but right now none of my friends are available.

I'd be willing to participate in such a venture. I currently do technical interviews for programming and data science positions.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Oh, well then I suppose we can make one, although I may want to see if more people would be interested in it first. Is there a particular program that would be best for that? Could we even do group interviews!! :eyepop:

To pass a group interview all you need to do is say something intelligent and not talk over anyone.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

Having lived in both places I can say the calculator estimation is pretty spot on for the case presented. YMMV.

The only two things to note IMO are:
-youll probably be able to contribute more toward a 401k on the higher salary.
-different regions commonly have different benefits that are normal there. My Bay area and Central FL benefits packages are totally different. In florida they actually use the word pension, a word you probably wont find in the tech industry.

I would suggest use at least 2-3 of the several calculators out there.

Consider, though, what the present value of one year's credit to the pension is. Even worse, if it's a defined benefits plan and not Federally guaranteed, the risk adjusted present value is probably close to zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

TheSpartacus posted:

I have a couple of questions because I feel somewhat odd about a request I given prior to the interview. I'm being flown out to Texas for an entry level chemist job next week but the team manager asked me to provide him two letters of recommendation to him, although he didn't say when he wanted them.

I feel weird about this because I have 2 people I can ask from an internship I had in 2013, but I'm having trouble connecting with them. I'm currently working as a chemist, have been for 8 months (only want to relocate, otherwise I'd stay at my job for longer) since college graduation but I can't exactly ask my current bosses for letters or references until I have an offer in hand and pass the backgeound/drug checks. I already told him that I would try to get some to him, but how can I communicate that I'm having issues with my previous references and I can't use my actual good ones from my current job until they give me a firm offer, even if it is contingent on my current employers references? Also isn't it a little odd to be asking for letters of recommendation before even having a in person interview? I could provide a letter from a college friend that I tutored in organic, but I don't feel like that is a very strong letter, professionally speaking.

Coworkers -- preferably ones you're also friends with.

• Locked thread