Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!
I have worked in academia for the last 8 years, so this is primarily focused there, I have been in IT and part of search committees for execs, midlevel staff and taken part in faculty interviews as well, happy to share any experience I have. For my current job I had to do a presentation to the hiring committee, 30 minutes long, about my skills and why I would be a good fit for the position, which was pretty stressful. I'm no expert, but I've taken part in many interviews like this and have some basic advice., which I hope is helpful to someone.

• Include work that is relevant to the new position, making it relevant if need be. For example, if you are going into project management from network admin they care more about the skills used in managing a system migration than they do in the details of what you have been administering.
  • Don't use your old employer's PPT template. Probably 1/3rd of these interviews I have been in on have done that, from entry level to executive positions, it's tacky and IMO unprofessional. Please do not do this. Also, if you are interviewing multiple places, make sure you have the right mission/vision/web site screenshot in your slide deck if you are using them.
  • Don't bore them to death. It is a sales pitch, not a calculus lecture (unless it is an academic math job I guess), include enough detail to verify that you aren't full of it, but focus on the big picture.
  • You don't work there yet unless you are going for a promotion. Don't tell them what you need to change, if you are able to ask questions make them about organizational structure, current capacities/limitations, etc, you aren't there as a consultant.

I also worked on a committee that hired and worked with a search firm for about an 8 month search so I can share experiences with that if anyone is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread