Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I'm in a weird professional position and maybe other goons have some insight as to how to proceed.

I'm finishing a one-year grant appointment. A similar job has been posted at my (very small) workplace, and the institution's executives have met with me privately to encourage me to apply. Tomorrow, I'll re-submit my resume and cover letter for this new position.

The big problem is that the past year, I've done....very little at work. My immediate supervisor has been either absent, disorganized, or hasn't given me things to do, despite my repeated requests. I met with the previously-mentioned executives about five months ago to express concern ("I really want to work, I love my work, but I'm worried because my supervisor hasn't been giving me any, despite asking - help?") and while they were receptive and thanked me, nothing changed. I haven't received any kind of meaningful feedback from my supervisor (or execs) about my work, despite requests. The place in general is catastrophically mismanaged, but it's exactly in my field (and I really need another year or two of experience before I move on).

In the past year, I received my graduate degree, was awarded a fellowship in my field, and have worked conscientiously to maintain and improve professional competencies in my field. I drummed this up in my cover letter, partly because I'm proud but mostly because I'm trying to compensate for how little professional development has occurred in the last year at my workplace.

I'm on tricky ground, because I like the place where I work but also desperately want to take on more responsibilities and professionally grow - which, if I remain under this supervisor, isn't going to happen. I don't want to lambast my current supervisor, but I know that - given the opportunity to work for another supervisor in this new position, I would thrive.

Can anyone give me advice on how to prepare for the upcoming interview, without making GBS threads things up terribly?

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I have three interviews this coming week, for wildly disparate positions. One of them I'm - on paper, at least - overqualified for, but really want: I'm just starting my career (after grad school) and am trying to get into a more tech oriented field. This position would be a great place to do that.

How do I make clear that I'm really into the position and am not going to split?

I'm amped to learn the systems used and get to work, plus it seems like a great company. I know I have a ton to learn and am 100% cool being entry-level and putting in the time.

• Locked thread