Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
:siren::siren::siren::siren:
1) Before asking a question:
• Please at least do a ctrl-f of the OP first; it's very likely going to at least brush over what you're curious about and help you ask more pointed and direct questions. Also, if you want to know "how do I respond to X question" then take the time to google "x question interview answer" first; that way you are able to ask more pointed and specific questions and receive better answers.

2)Before offering advice:
• Please make sure that you're giving actionable and observable tips, something that would fit in a S.M.A.R.T. goal, because it's important that people can actually accomplish what you're telling them and feel confident about it (i.e. "Be nice" vs. "Smile, respond with positive verbiage like 'absolutely!' and always find something to compliment each person on").

3)I've recently taken on a new role in my career and won't be available to reply very often:
• Sorry about that, but everything I am laying out below is how I was able to get a job I wasn't qualified for and over the last decade built a very comfortable career spanning several companies and titles without a college (or highschool) diploma. I mean there's hard work and dedication sure, but that's the easy part compared to just getting the opportunity to prove that's what you are capable of.

:siren::siren::siren::siren:

Old thread is here.

----------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm a guy who is pretty good at interviewing, and who trains people to interview on a regular basis.

My credentials: I’ve been interviewing for over a decade, hiring for both direct reports and in general. My workplace peers have been populated by up to 50% of my ex-employees (who I force into roll-playing interviews and letting me review their resume from the moment they tell me they’re interested in a promotion). I have ex co-workers and employees from years ago who will ping me for interview refreshers as they move upwards, and sometimes past me, in their careers (it happens, and I get a lot of joy out of that). I’ve helped people become trainers, managers, analysts and just about any other position you can think of. It’s just one piece of their success, but it’s the one that I consider to be the least taught and most woefully under-explained.

It's important that everyone understands that interviewing is not "an art" and that there's not some mystical power that some have and others don't. Simply put, interviewing is as much a science as technical writing. Those that study the formulas behind it and practice the most will virtually always get the job given a completely equal resume (generally, even with a much less impressive one. Stats do not get hired, people do).

For example, f you have thought any of the following things, then this thread is begging for you to read it:

• Interviewers already know who they’re going to hire before anyone goes in
  • I don’t understand why they hired them instead of me
  • I’m always nervous before I go into an interview
  • I’m always getting interviews, so they know I have the skill and experience—why aren’t they hiring me
  • I’ll never get past the first interview anyway, because [insert reason here]
  • Why are they asking me that when it has nothing to do with the job I am applying for
  • These are trick questions

To get started, let’s just get on the same page as to what each interview can look like and what basics you should be prepared to turn into habit.

-------

Types of interviews:

—Phone (or screening Interview—
Purpose: It acts as a cost effective method of quickly (usually 10-30 minutes) ascertaining whether or not a candidate has the ability to communicate well while projecting enthusiasm and confidence without the benefit of their good looks or gestures. Some basic general questions and basic job related questions will be asked, but In most cases the intent isn’t picking good candidates so much as weeding out terrible candidates.
How to successfully navigate a phone interview: Have your resume, any professional references, the job description, and details of successes you've had in your work history spread out in front of you. Print them single-side and lay them out face up, page by page, next to each other so that there’s no rustling sound as you look over them. Have another page with a bulleted list of your professional successes/talking points and best answers to common interview questions for your field (and in general). Remember, you’re only a voice, and they need to hear you smiling at the opportunity to talk to them. Use positive filler such as “Sounds great!” and “Perfect!” instead of “OK.” Dress up, lock yourself in the closest thing you have to a quiet office, and try to visualize the person as being right across from you.

—One-on-One or Face-to-Face Interview—
Purpose: This is the most common interview for a reason. This allows an employer to observe how you groom/dress during what should be your attempt at impressing someone, how you carry yourself in a professional environment and how you perform during a structured interrogation over the course of 30-90 minutes.
How to successfully navigate a one-on-one or face-to-face Interview: Dress like this is important (polished shoes, tie, groomed, etc.) and carry yourself well (chin up, back straight, relaxed smile). Be polite; thank them for meeting with you when you enter, and again when you leave. Gather your thoughts before speaking, and it’s always OK to ask for, “just one moment, if that’s alright, to decide which scenario best fits that question.” Answer questions directly, and in the exact format specified. Be truthful, but don’t say anything that might not be received well and doesn't pertain to your ability to be the best fit for the position you’re applying for. Remember, whoever is best at conveying why they’re the best fit for both the company and the position gets the job. Your goal here is to make them feel like you understand and selected their company and their culture to spend most of your mutually beneficial waking hours with. Like going on a date, you don’t want them thinking you’re after them because you haven’t been laid in months, because you think they’ll let you buy nicer things or that you’re only here because “any port in a storm, amirite!”

—Group Interview—
Purpose: This allows the employer to view how each candidate adapts to meeting new people, how they interact with the other candidates in the room and a clear view of how shy or confident each is in a group setting with their peers. This style is done with one or multiple interviewers, and all candidates interviewing while seated next to each other in the same room.
How to successfully navigate a group interview: The questions are usually very soft-ball, because the focal point is mannerisms, professionalism, confidence and politeness in a potentially stressful situation. There are two ways this might be delivered. The first is having questions tossed out to the group for anyone to answer, and the second is direct questions to each interviewee. It’s hard to screw up with the questions (usually general stock things like “Tell me about yourself” or “what do you do when things don’t go your way?”), but it’s easy to forget one or more of the following: shake every single person’s hand and introduce yourself when you arrive (15 minutes early) and another shake and nice to meet you (by name) on the way out, listen visibly and smile while others are answering questions, never interrupt anyone in the room—no exceptions, step up and answer questions if tossed to the group, keep your answers concise and pointed (2-3 minutes max) and respond to the interviewer and not the other interviewees.

—Panel Interview—
Purpose: To allow several perceptions of the same answer to be discussed after the interview. Two (or more) heads are better than one, right? Often this will include interviewers of varying job titles, from entry level to middle management, or it may simply be a peer interview (made up of people that hold the position you’re applying for). In the latter case, it’s primarily to ensure that the workforce would actually want to work with the candidate (though they have been trained on what kind of answers they’re looking for), this ensures that anyone hired by management will be well received. If this is the case, expect a second interview to be with management and to be a very similar experience in regards to the type of questions asked. The panel interview is common among high-level management and some public service interviews as well; board/committee members all enjoy having a say in who gets the job.
How to successfully navigate a panel interview: This is basically the same as a one-on-one interview, only you want to split 50% of each answer’s eye contact amongst the group while giving a solid 50% to the person that asked the question (and not all at once, please). Remember to thank each one (by name) for their time afterwards.

—Stress Interview—
Purpose: To be a dick. Seriously. There are a lot more accurate and less bombastic ways to find out how a potential candidate handles stress than trolling them like this. Interviewers will ask ridiculous questions as though there were a distinct right or wrong answer and avoid eye-contact while giving awkward and disinterested pauses. They might even attack you personally with snarky questions about your hair. It can be in any setting, with any number of people, and is utterly useless IMO. Supposedly, creating bad blood and a poor first impression is a great way to see how a candidate will respond when faced with on the job stressors.
How to successfully navigate a stress interview: Locate the nearest door, and slam it on the way out. If they really want to know how you handle stress, they’d put you in a simulation of your new role for half an hour. Seriously. But . . . Egh . . . If you really, really need a job though and hate yourself a lot; Sit back, act like everything is normal. They won’t warn you this is the type of interview it is . . . but you’ll know. Act as though everything they’re doing is no big deal, and just keep on keeping on throughout the whole miserable hour just as you would in any other interview. For example, if they say “were you hungry when you put on your lipstick?” then keep your mannerisms and tone matching the idea that they were simply curious and reply with “not at all, I had just eaten because I wanted to be fully prepared for this interview.”

—Informational Interview—
Purpose: This is your turn at bat. It can be for whatever you want, finding out more about a field, title, company . . . anything really. Salary, background; you name it! This is a real thing, why aren’t you doing it?
How to successfully navigate an informational interview: Find a professional, make a connection and ask them if you can set up an informational interview. Explain what you want to find out and whether and if they are available to practice a mock interview for their role, or really just whatever you want to get out of their time with you. Just be mindful it’s a courtesy on their part, so act like it throughout. Dress and present yourself as though this were a real interview, and set the time limit before hand—stick to it down to the second no matter what you’re in the middle of. You can always request another sessions later.

—Online or Skype Interview—
Purpose: Generally, this is purely out of practical necessity. The job may be in another city, state or country and it just doesn’t make sense to fly people all over for an hour of their time.
How to successfully navigate an online or Skype interview: Follow all the guidelines for a one-on-one interview as well as a phone interview . . . just keep your papers spread out of sight of the camera (ideally condense them to no more than two pages—and tape them to the wall just behind the camera so it always looks like you have eye contact). Also, for the love of everything, clean up your house and make sure you have a nice background and time alone before it starts. This is one you definitely want to practice with a friend through a Google hangout or whatever first, just so you can get some feedback on exactly what you look like as you go through it and can fine-tune everything before the big show.

Pissingintowind posted:

To contribute, since you didn't explicitly mention case interviews, here's a quick write-up:

—Case Interviews—
Purpose: These interviews are often used for jobs that contain a lot of strategic problem-solving (anything related to blue-sky type strategy). The interviewer will want to see how you are structuring a problem, how you are accounting for variables, and how you present a solution, all under time pressure. They will also want to see if you are good at finding missing pieces of information. A good case interview doesn't necessarily have a single right answer, it is more a probe of a candidate's thought process.
How to successfully navigate a case interview: Personally, I think these are the most difficult interviews. You will want to start by listening as the case is presented and taking notes of important details. When the interviewer is done presenting the case, repeat back what the final goal is to confirm, and ask any broad clarifying questions. Now, structure the problem. Use some sort of framework to guide additional probes for details, and examine one branch of your framework at a time. For example, if you are trying to understand why a company is not profitable, go into costs and revenues separately. After you've gone down all the branches, prioritize your biggest conclusions, and present them back in an organized manner, making sure to make a point. Throughout this process, manage your time wisely.
Additional Resources:
Business school casebooks: http://masterthecase.com/case-interview-casebooks/
Case in Point, by Marc Cosentino

-------

Types of questions/assessments

—Behavioral Questions—
Purpose: Welcome to the stock interview inquiry. The idea, well researched and mother-approved, is that past behavior predicts future results. They want to know what you did, when and what the results were, not what you might do or what you think would be the best thing to do.
How to answer behavioral questions: Directly and as a story. If you hear “Tell me about a time,” “Can you tell me when you,” or “Give me an example of” then you will answer with “About [time] ago at [company] I [did things] with [people’s actual names] and [the end result was]. What I learned from this was [lesson] and it’s something that I try to pass on by [whatever method] to [achieve results faster/help others avoid pratfalls/whatever].” If you instead start your reply with “I would” or “I think” or “What I usually” then just excuse yourself from the interview and apologize for being terrible at parsing questions unexpectedly asked in plain English. In today’s interviewing environment this is the most common type of interview question, and my last question is the response most people give.

—Competency Questions/Assessments—
Purpose: This helps an employer discover exactly how capable you are at performing the specific job role you’re applying for. This may be in the form of a written test, role-playing/performing skills that you would actually be employing in the position, or just as questions peppered throughout an interview.
How to answer competency questions/assessments: This one is all you. If they ask you “Can you give me a specific example of your leadership skills?” it’s up to you to have you’re your research and know a) what a leadership skill is, b) what an example of it looks like c) which ones you are most successful with and fit this particular job role/culture the best. If they give you a test asking you “describe the difference between a breadth-first search and a depth-first search” then you should probably know the answer. If they ask you to read a paragraph in Spanish, then OK great you should know how to do that. They might have you pick up a phone that has a mock irate customer with an overdraft on the other end and you need to calm them down to get them to another department. Know what the company expects from the position you’re applying to; Google it, learn about it and talk to people who do it for a living. You should do everything to wow them here, but your breathing room is that if you ace everything else, then falling a smidge short here is more forgiving than anywhere else in an interview since it’s easier to teach a job skill than it is to teach drive, communication and sound judgment. Don’t expect even a remote chance at the position if you outright bomb it though.

—Hypothetical/Opinion Questions—
Purpose: Mostly, the goal of these sorts of questions try to separate the nuances between the you that you present yourself as, and the you that actually exists most of the time. “Tell me about a time you had to deliver a message you didn’t agree with” doesn’t come with the internal turmoil and thought process you’ll display if they ask, “What would you do if a single parent who worked for you asked about layoff rumors because their home might be foreclosed on and they needed time to find a new job if true? Take into account that you know layoffs start next week, but you have been asked not to say anything to your staff.”
How to answer Hypothetical/Opinion Questions: The guiding principle here is that most of these questions will be based around the job skills you’re applying for. A good way to process these questions is by turning them into “Tell me about a time” answers whenever possible. For example, a bank may ask “Hypothetically, if your friend stole something trivial from someone, what would you do?” can be thought of as “Tell me about a time a co-worker you liked stole something trivial from the company you worked at, and how did you react?” If you don’t have an example, that’s ok because some of the questions may intentionally not quite fit your experiences, but if you at least process them with all this in mind you’ll stay closer to the answers they’re looking for.

—Oddball Questions—
Purpose: From my experience with them, it’s mostly to lighten the mood or to make whoever wrote the interview feel clever. You don’t get much out of them (i.e. “what’s your favorite animal” and “what do you think about when you are alone in your car?”) compared to questions that are directly related to performance and behavior. Some people like to talk about how it shows an interviewee’s ability to be creative and think on their feet, so I guess I’ll go with that.
How to answer oddball Questions: If it sounds utterly ridiculous i.e. “How many quarters would you need to reach the height of the Empire State building?”, then just shoot out whtever comes to mind. Say “More than I’ve got!” Say “Exactly enough to reach the top!” Say anything except “I don’t know.” However, if it’s just out of left field but not actually utterly ridiculous i.e. "Jeff Bezos walks into your office and says you can have a million dollars to launch your best entrepreneurial idea. What is it?" Then you probably applied at Amazon and they probably just want to know if you have any idea what direction/industry Jeff Bezos is currently (likely publicly and vocally) interested in pursuing to see if you’re here for a job or because you have an actual interest in Amazon and it’s goals.

runlegosleeprepeat posted:

I've heard of interviews in technical fields using some oddball questions. For example, "How many barbers are there in Chicago?"

Now, in an engineering firm, these questions would be VERY important and much more revealing than other types of questions. They want to see how you think and work your way through a problem that you don't know the answer to.

You could answer the barber question like this:
1. Find total population in Chicago.
2. Divide in half to get number of men. Women don't go to barbers.
3. Multiply by some percentage to eliminate those men who cut their own hair or don't have any.
4. Figure how many haircuts a barber can give in a day.
5. Figure how often the average man gets a haircut.
6. Describe a rough formula to calculate the required number of barbers.

In this case the "oddball" question is really a Competency question in disguise.

Any other questions will just be mix of general direct and non-direct inquiries regarding job duties, your personal interests, etc. etc. etc. to see if you actually had jobs and how nicely you’d fit into the culture. They want to feel you out to see if you’re the kind of person they want to be around 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (or more) too, y’know.

-------

So, where an interview falls apart for most people is when they try to understand how exactly they’re supposed to better answer the question than their competition. Experience plays a role, but recognizing the experiences that you’ve already had is usually the crux of the issue. So let’s start with a simple breakdown:

Here is how you should think of every question that you are asked; each one will be graded on a 1-5 scale even if they're not going to do that at all.

Memorize this scale:

• 1 answer: Didn't understand (or didn’t listen carefully to) the question and/or stammered and wandered around it with no clear destination. Alternatively, made disparaging remarks about someone or took the time to explain why doing the wrong thing in their particular example was the right thing to do.
  • 2 answer: Understood the question and gave a clear answer, but didn't have a story. There was no clear beginning, middle and/or end--also if asked to "tell me about a time that" chose to instead respond with something like "Well what I would do is," or ,”Generally I.”
  • 3 answer: Understood and answered the question properly and didn’t have any negative aspects to their complete and well-thought-out answer. The end. Good job on not doing a wrong thing (this is in the top 25% of interviewees in my experience. This is almost always the high-score you are trying to beat).
  • 4 answer: fulfilled the 3 answer requirements--then explained what was learned from the situation, and how it helped avoid similar (but different) problems in the future. This shows someone might be valuable down the road, thanks to the amazing ability to learn and adapt. Also, if you did this, you just did something that I’ve only had 5-10 out of hundreds of candidates do--have a beginning, middle, end and warm and fuzzy prologue to the story. You just proved to them that you’re the kind of person that never makes the same mistake twice (or a similar mistake the first time) . . . as opposed to being the kind of person who simply says that is what they do. You also proved you are self-directed in both your personal and professional growth, and there’s a lot of great implications in that.
  • 5 answer: A perfect 4 answer combined with a simple piece regarding how you grew that learned experience into a teachable philosophy . . . which you now pass on to peers and coworkers by [whatever] to help everyone gain the benefit of your personal experiences. So now I have someone who is valuable to all of my employees even when they screw up? That shares information learned from their personal experiences with their coworkers, which potentially means admitting to a mistake instead of trying to hide it, instead of keeping valuable knowledge a secret in the hope that it gives them an edge? GET THAT INTERVIEWEE A PAYCHECK!
Find out everything you can about what questions might be asked. Make every answer a four and you’re almost guaranteed to be one of the best interviewees they’ve been lucky enough to have the opportunity to bring on board. Have two fives and the rest comfortably at a four, and they might not need to even look at other candidates.

Let's start with the glue that holds the 1-5 scale together. You've probably heard "You're interviewing for your next position every day." and you probably think it means "Make people like you, network and/or also look great all the time."

That’s a very superficial take on it that gets touted in almost every workplace, and I want you to change your understanding of that question entirely. Instead, it should be understood as every day you should be actively hunting the answer to one of the "Tell me about a time . . ." questions that interviewers love so much.

Actively search them out. That means that you need to have an understanding of what the interview questions will be. Google the interview questions for the position you want, ask co-workers and managers what questions they've been asked, tell your boss that you want a mock interview and then do all three of those again twice a month. Once you have those questions, start looking at your day differently. If you know they're going to ask "Can you tell me about a time that you delivered a message that you didn't agree with?" then start paying attention to what you don't agree with and what you're saying to people about it. Also, as you look up questions you probably read great answers as well, so try acting them out in your work life.

So, you're saying in all capital letters, "I HAVE THE ANSWERS BUT THEY JUST WANT WHO THEY WANT!"

Well no, that's almost never true. It’s very rare for a company to pass on the more impressive candidate, there’s money and profits at stake remember, so be the most impressive candidate.

So great, now we come to the most important part—interview communication. Remember, at the end of the day if someone knows how to do the job perfectly and has the best attitude then they’ll get the job . . . If they can explain how and why that’s true in a professional and desirable manner.

So, without further ado:

-------

Interview communication

—Verbal Faux Pas and Saying What You Mean—

Beware the but!: When you use the word “but,” you are saying, “I only mentioned that previous thing so I could devalue it. Now, here’s what I want you to focus on.” Never, ever put a positive talking point or something you want to carry weight before a “but.” For example: "I didn't always get along with my boss, but we always got the work done and I learned a lot," vs. "We always got the work done and I learned a lot, but I didn't always get along with my boss." Same words, same intent, but you can clearly see what matters most to the person in each example. Anything that may be perceived as a negative should always go first.

”Honestly, I” or “To Be Honest”: Unless you’re going to say “Honestly, everything I’m about to say is just more evidence pointing to why I fit your culture and needs perfectly,” then just don’t say it. Too often this comes up in an interview and is followed by something that would be better left unsaid. Here are some non-verbalized questions that may be raised when you use it: Why are you putting a disclaimer before your statement? If you really thought it was the right thing to say, why aren’t you simply saying it without the “honest” in front of it? What’s so different about this particular statement that you need to start it by professing how open and truthful you’re being? What does this say about all the statements you made without it?

All Words; No Actions: Explain your defining characteristics through examples during your interview. One of the biggest missed opportunities in an interview happens almost immediately. The interviewer asks, “How would you describe yourself?” and gets a few descriptive words. Throughout the rest of the interview, the interviewee tells story after story of their workplace experiences, and never once ties them back into their descriptive words. If you would define yourself by those words, wouldn’t they sneak into a major work experience or two? Conversely, when the question is asked at the end of the interview, the interviewee uses words to describe themselves that had never been brought up before. As an aside, avoid saying you’re a “people person” unless they outright ask you, “would you say that you’re a ‘people person’?” Using that as a selling point shows a pretty low bar being set— getting along with people is a non-optional trait for someone who will, at the very least, have to maintain an employee/employer relationship on a daily basis.

I Never This, but I Always That: If you’re going to say you always do something, then you need to explain the fail-safes you set up for yourself to ensure that’s true. Same with never. It may not kill an interview, but it will likely be noticed and won’t score you any points. Instead use phrases like, “I try to avoid [thing] by doing [x,y,and z]” or, “I like to ensure that I [thing] by doing [x,y, and z]. The key is to explain what you do to ensure successes and prevent failures, and not simply that you never screw up and always succeed. This is in regards to job skills/experiences mind you—If asked if you’ve ever stolen from an employer, been in a physical altercation at work or followed a dress code, then you probably want to fall back into absolutes.

She Was Lazy, He Didn’t Listen and They Were Mean: If you talk bad about anyone, or much of anything really, then count yourself out. Remember, no one is there to defend themselves or the company, and all the interviewer will know for sure is that you badmouth people and companies to strangers if they do something you perceive as less than perfect. If you feel that you absolutely must discuss what you feel to be flaws in other people, change course and be a diplomat. Talk to how you understood the two of you communicated differently, or that your personalities may not have matched perfectly but the work always got done in a timely manner. Say you’re leaving because the company wasn’t able to support the growth you are looking for, but do not talk poorly about anyone, even in a vague way. Even if asked directly, “Can you tell me about a time you didn’t like someone at work?,” tailor it to a positive ending such as, “once I understood where they were coming from, and we learned to communicate better, we ended up being able to work very well together.”

Uh, Well, Like, They Were All, Y’know, For Real.: Short and sweet, talk like a professional. No slang, zero of it, and get rid of empty fillers. Everything you say should have a purpose, and if you can’t think of anything to say that take a breath and relax while asking for a moment—the pause will be forgotten a lot faster than a stammered, rushed or unprofessionally slangy answer.

—Mannerisms and body language—

Look the Part: It doesn’t matter what kind of environment it is that you’re applying to, what matters is that you’re not a part of it yet. You need to show them your best, even if you’ll never have to wear outfit again. If they need you to impress someone (CEO’s like to do quality checks) they need to know what you think your best looks like. This is not the time to show your ability to stand out creatively, this is where you show your ability to dress up and tone down. Candidates with the former are abundant and the latter is a challenge to find –OR— being you is hard, but being capable of being what is needed at any given moment is much more impressive.

Men, polish your shoes, buy new socks, take your things to the dry cleaners (worth the $5-$10). If you have a matching suit jacket then wear it. If you are just out of highschool, please don’t wear jeans, and I don’t care how expensive or what color they are. If you’re just lost, men’s clothing stores (think Men’s Wearhouse) are great for this—walk in and say, “I have an interview, $150 and have no idea what to wear,” and they’ll find you a suit to match both your frame and the occasion. They’ll even tailor it for you at no extra cost. Ideally you want dark blue (almost black) slacks and suit jacket, a red patterned tie and a white shirt. No joke, Google image search “Obama Suit” and strangely the most powerful man on Earth often wears the thing I said is a good idea. On a budget; black pants, black dress shoes, black belt, red tie and gray/grey button down from who cares. Also, if you have piercings, tattoos, scarification or outrageous hair then cover it up, correct it or leave it at home. Today is the day to show that you have the capability to fit in, not the need to stand out.

Women, if you wear makeup then keep it simple and natural. If you’re fresh out of high schoool, remember to tone down the jewelry and please ditch the body candy fragrances. Also, style your hair, and we’re not talking pony tails. As for clothes in general, think Neiman Marcus and Ann Taylor (under “suiting”)—If you are on a budget, New York&Co. has a decent CityKnit line as well. Fortunately women generally need less help here because every advertisement ever has scorned them for their lack of Photoshop since their birth; however, everything I said about men showing their ability to keep it boringly impressive applies to you too. I’m talking a small-heeled, closed toe shoe.

It’s All In the Eyes: Nothing in the room matters except the interviewer, and your answers need to be delivered with a relaxed and warm expression beamed directly into their eyes. When they talk, you look in their eyes. When you talk you look into their eyes, maybe glance around as you gesture or whatever, and back to their eyes. The rest of the time, just be comfortable. If you aren’t comfortable with looking directly into someone’s eyes, which is something I am always uncomfortable with, remember that they have no idea if you’re looking directly into their eyes or if you’re staring at the bridge of their nose, or (my favorite) in between their eyebrows. Make this a focal point of any role-playing you do with friends/coworkers beforehand and ask for feedback until you feel it’s comfortable and habitual.

Chin Straight, Chest Out, Mind Your Manners!: Do not fidget. Do be cognizant that every movement you make should have intent. You need to carry yourself as though you are friendly and confident, and remember that no one can read your mind; just practice faking it in the days before the interview if you’re not, and perfecting it if you are.

We’re All Professionals Here: Do not make flirtatious gestures (even back) to anyone, roll your eyes at anything, “kill time” on your phone while in the lobby or otherwise let your outside personality trump the friendly, charismatic professional that you need to embody while applying for the job. From the moment you walk up to the building until the moment you are back on the road, you are nothing but an eager candidate looking to make the perfect lasting impression at every opportunity.

A Complete Run-Through of Your Non-Verbal Interview: You’re likely sitting in wait for the interviewer to come out to greet you. Keep your lap clear of items so you can rise easily without fidgeting, rushing put things away or maneuvering to get organized before you stand up. If you’re bored, read your resume or bring a management/leadership development book with you— they’re going to walk in at any time; whatever you’re doing is their first impression of you. If you’re waiting to be called in by a secretary, everything still applies. Keep your phone turned off and put away; this is no situation in which to be seen “killing time”. Introduce yourself and make small talk with security or the secretary, whoever is around. You never know who’s going to be talking about you to the hiring manager after you’re gone.

When the interviewer enters, smile like you’re meeting an old friend and stand up, spine straight, and reach to shake their hand while looking in their eyes. Keep your chin parallel to the floor at all times, and keep your hands away from your pockets at all times. When you reach their office, if they don’t offer to let you sit down, then take the chair across from their desk—avoid any temptation to sit in anything plush or comfortable as it kills posture and makes getting up again look awkward.

When you sit down, only use the front 2/3 of the chair, this eliminates any habits you might have in leaning back or using arm rests, and if forces you to look engaged and excited (on the edge of your seat, if you will). Your back should be straight and chin parallel with the table top. Once you’re seated and the interview is underway, your hands should match the culture—if this is a fast paced and aggressive environment, then talk with them ; if this is a tightly professional and carefully analytical culture, then fold them in your lap and gesture sparingly. Do not drum your fingers, fidget around, etc. They’re either accentuating a point you’re making or they’re folded in your lap, extolling your attentiveness and focus on the interview(er).

Once the interview has ended, it’s time for another firm handshake while you thank them (by name) for seeing you. Before you leave, get a card from the hiring manager and/or interviewer in the event you have a follow up question (really this is so you know who to write a thank you note to) and walk out with the same posture you came in with, waiving while bidding farewell to the secretary and/or security (again, by name) on your way out.

------

AND NONE OF THAT MATTERS IF YOU DON'T PRACTICE

ROLE PLAY. Ask friends to interview you with questions you Googled. Ask your boss to interview you for their position. Ask your spouse to deal with it and go through the motions with you. It doesn’t matter how, what matters is how often. Once a week, you practice all the above for an hour; you never question feedback you just write it down. You change anything anyone tells you to, because you have no idea if they’re right or not until you find a pattern and style and rhythm that compliments your natural you while fulfilling the above.

General Tips (really just edited things from the other thread)

quote:

As for questions . . . please, please don't force them. Please. I just don't care. Nobody cares. I mean, never once has that been the deciding factor ever. Literally this conversation has never happened: "Man, I was just about to hire them, and then I asked if they had any questions--then they just said 'Nope!'"

Either you rocked the interview by proving you're the right person and don't have any questions that need answering, or you rocked the interview and also had a good question that made sense to ask. In fact, I would go so far as to say that people that ask questions, clearly because they googled "how to interview", go half a tick down if I have other people to interview that day. Interviewing is tedious and I usually have an actual job I'd rather be doing.

Good questions:
  • "Assuming you decide I'm the right fit for this position, what date would I have to prepare to start?" (Bonus: this is like asking "how did I do?" and getting a real answer, because generally the start date isn't some magical number no one knows. Caveat, sometimes it is).
  • "No, I don't. But I appreciate your time, because I feel even better about my decision to pursue [this company] than I did before I came in, thank you." (Note: not a question, but makes you sound confident and awesome. Also, if they get awkward you won't have to agonize over whether you should just turn your attention to that other thing you applied for or not.)
  • "What can you tell me about the management philosophy that you find most effective?" (entry to executive level question--you might save yourself from a really awful job with this one)
  • "Taking what I've shared about myself into consideration, what don't I know about your company that makes you a good fit for me?"
  • Finally and with no general relevance outside of dispelling this myth, the line that landed me my last position: "Well, I came in with a few prepared but you already took care of those . . . So . . . Uh . . . Really, while we were talking, all I could think was 'it's like someone literally made a position for me and at a company I want to retire from.' So all I have left is a genuine thank you, because I'm very impressed and I really hope you feel the same way."

Basically, you should have a set of personal values, needs and expectations. As long as that's true, and you have questions that you need answered to ensure that the position and/or environment is a good fit for you, then feel OK about interviewing them right back. If you don't then get started figuring you out I guess.

Bad questions:
  • *Reads absolutely anything off of a paper* (if it's so important to you, why'd you have to read it to me?)
  • "How much does this position pay?" (or any other income related questions)
  • Any boring, prepared questions that you honestly don't care about the answer to. Your interviewer will know you are doing this. Your interviewer will hate you, deeply.

quote:

As for "honestly" it's just bad. So bad. It's like starting a sentence with "OK, so here's where I finally get to feel outraged about not getting this job!" I mean, why not just say what you were going to say? Why do you need to warn people about your sentence unless you're about to say something awful?

As for other bad words, that all depends on situation. Here are some very generally-yet-not-always-bad guidelines:

words not to use when talking about yourself:
  • never
  • can't
  • always
  • any expletive (even if they use one)

words to use when talking about yourself (regarding just about anything other than punctuality and availability. Use "always" for those.):
  • generally
  • consistent
  • reliable
  • historically

Why? Because you don't ever want to sound absolute--you've known them for what half an hour? You have no way of measuring nuances, and you need to leave yourself room while sounding like you have your you pretty thought out. You know what you do generally because that's generally what you have found successful, but you also accept that different situations require different actions etc. Capice?

quote:

You can get hired while being overqualified. You have to find a way over the hurdle of crappy over-qualified candidate experiences that all employers have had.

The best advice I have is to downplay titles, skills and experience. Find out everything about a company before applying, and apply as much to the company as the position in your cover letter. Get an endorsement from someone who can explain your love of whatever you're applying to, and bonus points if you can get a reference to say "Honestly I'll never understand him/her, they were doing very well where they were at, but always seem to talk about and gravitate back to working in [position that you're overqualified for]." Your best bet is to rewrite your resume to the appropriate skill level, and interview as top notch at the level you're applying to.

quote:

"What is your greatest weakness" is not a "gotcha question," and has depreciated only because so few people are capable of doing anything useful with it that, by and large, it was simply a huge waste of time that failed to offer any insights.

If I have a candidate that I think is talking out his/her rear end, then I might throw it in to see if I can get any insight into their real personality.

However, here is what you do if anyone ever gives you this question:

1) Be honest. I want to hear that I have a person who can analyze themselves, understand what constitutes a weakness and explain clearly that they understand the hardships that it can cause themselves sure, but also their peers.
2) Be proactive. Never let anyone get to the point that they have to ask you "So what did you do about it?" Always give them a clear story about the impacts your weakness had on yourself and others, and then run straight into "And that's why I started [thing that counters weakness. i.e. planners, outlook and alarms for time management issues] and "really devoted myself to ensuring that something that I was aware of didn't just get to continue impacting my own success and the work that others relied on me for."
3) Be analytic and cognizant. So break down why it works, not just how it works, and explain how you use your methods to help other people who struggle with the same problems you've had, and how--most importantly--at this point other people think of it as a strength of yours. Explain how they have said how easy you make it look because of all your successful coping mechanisms. Then explain how you use that opening to tell them how much of a challenge it can be sometimes, because you've found it helps them be more open about their own challenges and more comfortable in trading tactics and pratfalls to the benefit of everyone.

What are you demonstrating with each of those?

1) Empathy, an introspective nature and self/environment-awareness.
2) Internal drive to improve that doesn't wait for someone to tell you to "fix it," and a desire to strengthen your abilities past just "passable" to benefit you and everyone you work with.
3) Honest and open acknowledgement to your coworkers/employers of your own strengths and weaknesses, confidence, and a drive to teach and mentor that isn't hindered by the all-too-common attitude of enjoying a leg up over your perceived competition.

"working too hard" = "I literally am pretty amazing as far as I can tell, and also probably have bad time management."
"I give too much" = "I'm easily intimidated and you'll have to micromanage me to make sure that I'm working on what you need and not with something that someone else tasked me with."
"I'm a perfectionist" = "as you can see by my answer I just gave you."

In any interview, with any question, ask yourself "Why are they asking me this, and how can I use it to show them that I'm the best candidate they're going to talk to?" Beyond that, and I'm just going to reiterate constantly (sorry in advance) "Interview for your next position every day." Look for the answers to these questions, and recognize the experiences you're having so that you can tell someone about that time.

quote:

What employers are looking to find out about candidates when they ask "Where do you see yourself in X years?"

They want to find out if they('re):
  • planning to stay with the company for a length of time (do they have reasons to leave state later? Have they thought about their future enough to have planned on this company as part of their career goals or is this just a job? etc.)
  • have long-term career goals that align with the company (the number of times I hear "well after I graduate I want to be a nurse!" or "I want to gain a lot of skills here, because I'd like to eventually take them to [unrelated job field] etc." would probably surprise you.)
  • generally stable and working towards something as opposed to stagnating because they just don't care or have the drive and motivation to exceed.

Tell them why you want to work there, and don't include money or finances. Don't make the mistake of essentially telling them "Well I'll be here unless someone else pays me more." because you don't get the same product from a money driven individual as you do someone who is genuinely passionate about the work for the sake of it.

quote:

Interviewing is like being on a date; you wouldn't show up on a date and start talking about your ex/current, how powerless you are to all those terrible people that just don't treat you fair even though you're super awesome, what you expect to have bought for you or how depressed and negative you are--so don't do any of those things here either.

quote:

Remember, you're not running away from the job you have. You are running towards the job you want.

No one reads this many words, let's talk about juggling!

Funny story, interviewing is like juggling. It’s really easy to explain to someone who never juggled, and then have them blindly explain it to someone else to the effect of the third person successfully learning how to do it.

See, you just hold two things in your dominant hand, and one in your non-dominant. Throw a thing from your dominant hand to your other, and from that moment on, every time something hits it’s vertex you toss a thing from the opposite hand. Wash, rinse repeat!

So basically if you can’t juggle from reading that, you can’t interview simply from reading all this.

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Fantastic!

I have a primarily operations management/business analyst/process consultant sort of background in financial and technology industries. However, due to personal experiences with the bars interviewers set with oddball questions, I may have a skewed perspective.

Beyond that, having waded oddball questions and found success with just joking around with them (most of the questions were/are still behavioral questions--as is almost universally standard; I have yet to see an oddball question make the difference between getting hired or not *personally*) probably didn't lead me into focusing on ways to successfully navigate those and make the absolute most of them.

Very appreciated insights, both by me and likely anyone who reads the thread. The op will be updated tonight after I'm near a computer instead of my phone. Thank for your contributions!

I stand by my experience and opinions with/about stress interviews though :colbert:

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 2, 2013

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Uh. So nothing else is getting added to the OP; it hit the 50,000 word limit and I didn't save a second post because that seemed kinda ridiculous for a post on how to interview.

So, by definition, I have written a novel on successful interviewing practices (contributions included, of course).

On a comedy forum.

. . .

*updates resume*

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Careful with that, because there is nothing normal about interviewing. Normal people are humble, and attempt to be their individual versions of honest.

Beyond that, the small stuff is what makes pupils dilate, and I disagree that it shouldn't be the goal. You get different results setting the bar at "getting to work on time consistently" compared to "be twenty minutes early everyday" and interviewing goals aren't that different.

Question to those with a lot of experience with case questions though, because I still can't see them being as effective at making good hires as behavioral questions; if someone blows the rest of the interview out of the waste but craps out entirely on the case questions, in everyone's experience, what are their chances of being hired?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Fame Throwa posted:

I really struggle with interviews, and I'm sure a lot of goons have the same kind of issues. I have social anxiety and while I function well in most social situations, job interviews are still pretty much pure torture to me. It doesn't matter how much I practice answers or whether I have good stories, I turn into a human disaster when I interview. Other than :catdrugs:, does anyone have any suggestions for getting through interviews when you have a lot of anxiety?

There's a lot of things that can help, but I want to stress that if "no matter how much I practice" means you role play interviews for less than one hour a week for three months, or that you're just focused on the answers themselves, then you'll surprise yourself with just how much more practice can make a difference. Also--and I'm not saying to have a public discussion about it--separate diagnosed social anxiety disorder from "my dad is the same and doesn't do well in some social situations either." Virtually no one walks into an interview with zero nervousness--for me I get over-explanatory and chatty, over-analyzing everything as I'm saying it causing me to ramble; I have to be aware and check it constantly. Please don't feel like you need to defend yourself, or even really talk about it, because everything I'm typing here is geared towards public consumption and not you.

The more room you make for practiced answers and movements, the less room you have for anxiety. If it's really bad, you need to read up on the informational interviews and do them once a week with a new person each time--when interview situations become a normal and rehearsed setting, anxiety has a much tougher time finding a home. Again, I'm not saying that's the case here. I'm just saying really analyze if that is the case or not before looking for something else to help you.

If there's no progress, look into assertiveness training. If there's still no progress, talk with your psychologist/psychiatrist (and if you ever can't further your life's goals because of feelings you can't control, please make having a trusted one of either of those things your focus).

Good luck.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I can hit this from my phone so:

Sell yourself like a car salesman. You're the product, so hook them first because setting a range expectation can stunt what you can actually negotiate with a fully interested and sold employer.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
It isn't uncommon for a good, robust story to garner a response of "Well that answered my next question too, so let me ask you [thing] instead."

If they don't say that, I would recommend shying away from that idea mostly because you're there to show how much experience you've had; the more stories the better. It won't kill you if you're in a pinch though.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

ChairMaster posted:

So I need a couple good lies for the questions "What's your worst quality?" and "What's the deal with the long gap in your employment history?"

The true answers to both of these are not the sort of things that'll get me hired, they're "I'm a weird loser who doesn't connect with people, and I procrastinate every single thing in my life, and I stay up all night for no reason at all", and "I was just really depressed and didn't want to leave the house so I spent all my time playing video games and jerking off".

Like the first one you're supposed to be honest and talk about what your solution to what sucks about you is but I don't really have a solution, and nobody would hire someone with those problems even if I did. And the second one, I know you're supposed to talk about doing something constructive with your time, but I can't really think of anything I could make up that someone would believe. What should I say to these?

e: Also the gap in my employment history is almost 6 months long, and the reason for it is cause I got fired for not being good at my last job.

This advice won't change in case anyone in a similar place is wondering; if you are depressed, your problem isn't that you're unemployed. You can tweak an answer or two in order to fit situations you haven't actually experienced, but you can't pretend to be somewhere mentally that you simply can't be. I know, I know, if you just try hard enough because there's totally a bunch of people that bootstrapped through it. Seriously find a way to get help first, any way you can.

You need to find some kind of empathy (btw, that doesn't mean "feeling bad for someone" it means being able to share someone's feelings, regardless what they are). Once you can understand how someone else can do and feel things other than what your gut reaction tells you to feel or do you will be able to walk through those ideas and talk to each step as though you've been there.

You don't have to be able to feel and think like the people who you want to hire you, you have to be able to understand why they would feel and think the way they do.

As is, anything I say would lead to setting you up for failure because you wouldn't be able to operate "off script" and answer on the fly digs for more information.

Apply to somewhere that has lovely pay and lovely benefits, but where one just barely covers the other. Fast food, for example, is basically "My biggest weakness is that I work too hard!" interview territory. Put your whole paycheck towards health care and get a therapist, you're already unemployed, you won't be losing anything.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
For me, I just talk to the fact that most disagreements and conflicts aren't opinion issues, they're communication issues. I explain how I root cause, and then just tie it into whoever pissed me off most recently and how I recognize negative emotions towards a person as a need to relationship build and tell them about a time.

I use it to show how I actively prevent conflict and proactively address situations. Yay I'm able to communicate how I'm beneficial to maintaining a positive team environment hire me.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
True story, don't give me or this thread credit. You got you interviews, and you aced it. In my experience it is equally as hard to get people to own successes as it is failures, but really own them all equally especially during yearly reviews.

The fact is this is a buried thread more than one subfurm deep; you would be successful regardless because you were obviously seeking success out.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
The rule I go by is "will the answer to this question cause me to either accept or turn down this job?"

It sounds like some of your questions might be more geared to doing, not getting, the job. It's not a bad thing either way, necessarily, but questions can cause assumptions as to your knowledge and abilities--both good and bad. It can be a benefit to make sure you have a clear and tangible purpose past curiosity for job-related questions during an interview.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Original_Z posted:

Goddamn, I hate interviews where it's obvious that the interviewer is reading from "the big book of interview questions". I got some of the most generic questions possible and had to try and answer them to actually be relevant for the position. It was the second interview, the first one was done by HR and knew what they were doing, but this second one was a manager that obviously didn't have any expertise in it.

I hate questions like "have you ever gone behind your manager to do something he didn't agree with?", or "have you ever been late with reaching project milestones and didn't give ample notice?" Like, even if they had, who would admit to such things? Bloody waste of time and almost insulting.

Those are both valuable questions. The first one eliminates people more often than you think; alternatively it can show a person who is honest, was humbled and learned a lesson about command structure and team work. The second is similar.

My suggestion would be to spend time analyzing why questions might be valuable rather than dismissing something you may have the need to impress someone with in the future.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Why did you say you wanted the position, and what your first two years would be like? as close to verbatim as possible, if you can.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Volmarias posted:

So, I wanted to come and post about this:

Aside from the part about weeding out terrible candidates, this isn't true at all, at least for us.

[ . . .] I'll have your resume and I'll ask you a question about your prior work history, but I'm only using that question as a starting point of a conversation.

[ . . .] The reason that I'm asking you this is to try to loosen you up before I start the proper interview, but that's not true, because I've already begun; the point of this is to see if you know what the gently caress you are talking about in regards to what you put on your resume.

[ . . .] I'm going to continue the phone screen by ignoring the rest of what you have on your resume, and ask you technology-specific questions that we require people who will be working here to actually know. [my emphasis] Then, we're going to ask you to open up the shared editing session (e.g. collabedit.com, google docs, etc.), ask you a trivial coding question, and watch as you write it.

I realize that this is something of a rant, but I'm really annoyed by the idea you're proposing that the phone screen is actually a personality test, when it's really a "is this person able to tie their shoes y/n if y is this person an engineer y/n" test.

I'm not sure which part you are talking about that wasn't true, but I'm always looking for better ways of doing things. I'm having a hard time following which part you disagreed with, so here's how it came across to me so you can help me understand.

To clarify, from my vantage, I mention what it's usually for and then go in detail as to what you should do to prepare for it (which I would think would leave anyone who was qualified extremely prepared to impress even you). It seemed like most of your disagreeing wasn't with the process as I outlined it, but with a general irritation due to unqualified candidates lazily flopping through your phone interviews. I'd clarify that this isn't a guide to being able to do a job, it's a guide to to best communicating that you're the right person to be hired for the skills which (I'd hope) you already have. Overall it seemed like you were saying that a phone interview is exactly what I described it as, but instead you have a more indepth almost-Skype interview portion at the end (which I cover separately).

Did you fully read what I suggest under "How to successfully navigate a phone interview"? Did I misunderstand something you were saying?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I wish I had more time for this thread, but objection still noted and I get the angle.

This thread, and I should add this to the bold openers of the OP somehow, is useless to anyone who doesn't have/understand the core competencies of the job they're applying for.

The struggle I originally had with something like that is because I don't want to confuse people into thinking that everything on a job posting is law and that someone with 1 year of experience shouldn't bother applying to a job that posts as "requiring" 5, for example.

Edit:

quote:

The only reason I bring it up is because we seem to get a lot of candidates who don't understand that, and think that we're only going to be asking them about their previous work history and maybe a couple of softballs.

I was just rereading some of this thread, and I think I am getting the original disconnect. The best way for me to explain it is that (outside of the shared-screen competency portion) even the questions you're talking about are softball questions to qualified candidates. For example, if an interviewer asked me "How would you employ Six Sigma to reduce customer complaints regarding product failures?" it would be a softball question--but it might be perceived as a grilling to a person who wasn't competent with Six Sigma.

This guide is specifically written to help qualified candidates best explain why they are the most qualified, not to help anyone actually become more qualified for a particular position.

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 25, 2013

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
It shouldn't be viewed as creepy at all as long as you don't memorize the degrees of separation between the two of you and recite each one to the interviewer or anything. Well that and the other no-brainer stuff like suggesting a connection or using their connections to try to circumvent the interview process.

Think of it like an extension of a business card; it's a public, professional database. If they even notice in the first place, they'd likely compliment you an putting extra effort into your preparation and desire to know the company better.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
If you thought of your interview as resulting in a GPA, would you want a 0 or a 60% on one of the final exams? A very large number of interviews do actually end with a GPA. Prepare for a 1-10 or 1-5 scale. Ever answers is rated.

Situation: You're boned; you have been asked about a time when you diffused a situation, but you've never done that. You need to prove you can do it to ensure that you are strong in the running, since they only ask about things related to the most necessary job skills.

Resolution: Draw from experiences from these places, in this order. Never skip one down because you think you have a better answer in the next category unless you think you'll drop the interviewer's jaw.

1)Work experience within the last three months
2)Work experience within the last 2 years
3)work experience from any time in the past
4)Volunteer experience (soup kitchen crew, whatever)
4)HighSchool/College experience (whichever is more recent, make it good)
5)Experience with Family or Friends
6)"I haven't had experience with that, would you like to hear about [as similar a situation as possible]?
7)"I don't know"
8)WOW guild experience

"I don't have any work experiences that I can draw off of, however I did have a situation with [whichever category you can talk to] that I can discuss. Would you be interested in that?"

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 31, 2013

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I can only fathom that you are applying to some kinda awful places, that you are applying to kinda special awful places that have relationships to those students or you are saying things awfully weird.

What was the context in which a place you quit from offered you your job back? How long has it been and did you ever report it to the EEOC? I ask because if the only place that knows something happened is your company, then your story needs to match up to whatever they say happened.

Yeah.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

BothSides posted:

I don't think I'm wording it strangely. I just say I was forced to give my two weeks notice due to severe harassment and through everything that happened I continued to work until my last day, and was even offered my job back, and although I really enjoyed my job and working there I was not willing to put myself into that situation again. I guess I just ran into some people that just don't get it. I really truly do not understand why leaving a job due to harassment isn't acceptable. Even my boss at that job was said, "I don't blame you." We were put into horrible situations. I haven't worked much the past year to due different situations, and it just really feels like this is another hurdle. So am I saying something terribly wrong? Are these just horrible apathetic interviewers? And if so, what do I say/change?

Also, I'm in Canada so no EEOC here. But I did attempt to report them, however, the labour board would do nothing about it since they did have a system and training in place for workplace violence and harassment. I called them immediately after I handed in my notice and they basically said "if they are providing the training and have a "process" in place, that is all they are obligated to do." Apparently not following the process doesn't matter. :shrug:

edit: They offered me my job back a week after I handed in my notice.

OK so a few things:

If you are saying you were "forced" stop it right now. You weren't forced; you may have made the right decision in a situation that others may have just ignored and sadly limped through, but you weren't forced. You were decisive and discerning in the environment in which you chose to work, but you were not forced. Capice?

Did the person go through the thing that was training and processing? Did it fail to provide non-harassing results after they did it? If the answers are "yes" and then "no" respectively, then you are telling your new employers, "If you hire anyone that does something scary or bad, no matter what, I'm quitting immediately." Just like (the imaginary world that imaginary America exists in) once someone goes to jail they have "done the time and paid for their crime" and have a clean slate unless they crazy it up again. You have to treat them as such. I'm not saying "Hey, good news! You get to treat them like it never happened and hug them!" I'm just saying "you have to treat them as such."

If their process failed, that's when you go to the Maple EEOC and start raising Hell. Before that, you still made a conscious decision to leave a business on your own volition because you did not feel comfortable in the environment. You took ownership of your own career and decided that you were not able to objectively review better opportunities while being side-tracked. Fortunately, you were in a position to begin that process, and that's why you're here now, looking to see which companies have standards and cultures which will best challenge and grow your experiences while providing a superior culture that you want to add your own abilities to.

Basically, if you act like you were forced to do something you decided to do then you're hurting yourself. Also, if (and I mean if, so don't take it personally) when you say they "did nothing" it means "they talked to them and put them through training but they didn't harass me after that" then you need to really find a way to own "There was no way that they could reconcile that situation without firing someone" with "No really, if mistakes happen in your company I'm not going to immediately up and leave and blame and badmouth everything you stand for because of someone who you have very little control over and probably can't fire because you have things in place that state that if someone fucks up no matter how bad then you wag your finger really hard and then if they gently caress up again you either put it to a written warning or fire them depending on the paperwork you have agreed to with your human resource department *gasp*."

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
That's interesting, constructive dismissal usually has a lawyer and damages involved; however I'm not a lawyer and constructive dismissals are a treacherous water for me to even begin to wade in. Especially since I'm even less familiar with Canada's laws on it. Either way, I'm sorry you had to deal with it.

Can you speak with your prior manager and find out precisely what he/the company/HR/whoever answers those calls would say if asked about you by a potential employer?

If the method of your termination will be released in a check, then perhaps you can come up with an angle together which avoids badmouthing/negativity and sounds more diplomatic and neutral: "The business was unable to resolve issues of harassment which impeded my ability to effectively do my job. The relationship ended with a constructive dismissal, however I maintain a very good relationship with my previous employer and you can speak with him at XXX-XXX-XXXX if you would like a reference."

If it's not going to be released keep it simple: http://www.ehow.com/how_8596953_job-job-due-boss-harassment.html

Fair or not, badmouthing an employer or the environment is always a red flag. They don't know the truth and know they can never find it out in full, they only know that you're saying things about people that aren't there to defend themselves.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
There's always a chance you just have a poo poo market, but it would help if you have details. What are the questions that you have the best answers to (what are those answers) and same for worst.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

StarSiren posted:

quote:
Tell me about yourself: I like telling stories. In college, I studied film production. I’ve worked as a director, writer and producer for short award-winning films, but I found what I really loved was the marketing side of production. I’ve always really enjoyed viral marketing for movies, because it gets the audience involved and interested in something that originally no one had a clue about. I’ve pursued this interest and turned my attention to telling stories through marketing, especially utilizing digital media. As I’ve grown and experimented with digital content in freelance work with x,y,z, I’ve found that I enjoy enriching a companies social footprint as it not only brings them profit, but it also helps the client's audience receive a perceived personal touch that makes them feel better about themselves and put trust and loyalty into x-product/company, etc.

How to handle tough clients/management/etc: I like to figure out the root cause of the miscommunication and use it as a chance to build the professional relationship. In the case of my example, I sat with the individual and we talked out the situation with an X agreement on the matter. Moving forward we were able to better understand each other and work together more effectively.

Strength: My past employers and co-workers have all said that I'm very knowledgable. I believe this to be true, as I find I'm a curious person, in general. To illustrate this, at X job, I became the go-to person for not just the customers, but for internal issues. If someone in another department didn't know how things operated, or just had general questions, they usually came to me to discuss procedures.

I feel this one needs work.

quote:
Weakness: As a child, I had a speech impediment which made me a pretty shy kid. They were able to cure my impediment, but I stayed shy for a long time. As I began to realize my professional goals, I knew I needed to correct this shyness, and ever since I have been forcing myself into situations where I have to be vocal and I have to be seen, such as volunteering to be a spokesperson for a group, or purposefully interacting with the public on behalf of an event. By doing this, I have slowly overcome my shyness, even though it does creep up now and again.

The truth is, I am shy. It does cause issues. I try to work past the issues.

I'll start with these, to see what you have to say. I do get asked other things that are field-specific, which I might expand on later.

Do you actually walk them through the conversations or is that fairly close to a quote?

On the second piece, being knowledgeable is not a strong answer to explaining what you think your best strength is. It can help if you're moving to a new company with a 1:1 product that you'll be dealing with, but even then one of the problems with it is that your described strength is a pretty common quality that is likely a part of the job description. You should talk about things that drive you, how you feel about being great at something and why, and/or an adaptable trait or skill that you pass on to other people. I'd rather know that your strength is quickly becoming knowledgeable because it's important to you that you become the go-to person in your career (and I'd like to know how you actually do that), not that your biggest strength is that you learned a lot about something.

Those were the two biggest stand-outs, though overall I didn't see passion for the work as much as an experienced worker. That's not bad, in and of itself, but I don't know how competitive your market is. As an interviewer I ideally want to know I'm hiring someone who loves the work, and I want to be engaged while they tell me why.

Also, I like the weakness. It can be extremely powerful if I have an impressive interviewee who can explain how they got over a personal challenge--though I'd agree to take shy instead of disclosing what can be considered private medical information. Give me a story about when you realized it, and let me walk through your challenges with you. Tell me about the first time you found yourself getting over it, I want to know how you knew that you were getting over it and what made you proud.

EDIT: Subtle changes for your retail answer:
It's a good foundation for an answer, but I would definitely drop the word "claimed" and all insinuation that she might have been wrong. Simply, it shows your inner monologue with a negative edge; it is stronger to say something like "She let me know she called and was under the impression we had the item in stock, which we didn't. Someone from our store may have accidentally given her misinformation, or she may have simply called another store on accident, but either way my only concern was that she walked away remembering her experience with us the way we wanted to be remembered. Being the team lead and senior employee, it was a great opportunity for me to lead by example as well so I . . . "

Just like that, a story which every interviewer has heard a million times, "Angry customer doesn't know right from left, so I jump through hoops to make them smile," turns into "I always look for opportunities to lead by example, especially when others perceive a situation as challenging. Part of what I bring to your company is confidence and a professional attitude that I am always conscious of imparting on others through even everyday activities."

EDIT EDIT:
Wow I sound really down on your stuff, but I promise I'm not! You're going in the right direction!

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 12, 2013

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

OperaMouse posted:

Any tips for asking the questions?

What are good ways to find out how someone is to work with?

Try starting here: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-conduct-a-job-interview.html

Then checking here: http://www.inc.com/guides/2010/04/conducting-job-interviews.html

And specifically this may help: http://www.startuplessonslearned.com/2008/11/abcdefs-of-conducting-technical.html

StarSiren posted:

I walked away from an interview today with free swag (shirts). Is this normal?

Serious question: They asked me if I had experience doing policy work in a specific sector. I talked about my policy work in a different sector (because I do not have experience in the specific sector in question). They came back around and asked if I had experience with that specific sector, though. I explained I did not but that I felt the principles were the same, for the most part, it's just the subject matter that changes.

Was that, bad? Good? How should I handle a question like that?

Never heard of giving out free swag. Then again, I have no idea what field or position you’re going for so maybe it makes sense for their needs?
As for the question, it depends. If you genuinely don’t have that experience, then it’s probably good that you didn’t try to fake it. What the grade to that answer will hinge on is if it really is just the subject matter that changes or not, or if there’s deeper nuances to it that you might have brushed off with that statement that they find important. Not trying to scare you, just that’s an either way kinda question/answer combo.

A better way to approach it in the future might be to say something like “Well I have a lot of experience delivering [X skill] quite well, but I haven't had the opportunity to deliver them in the specific area you’re asking. It seems as though the transition should be fairly seamless, however. Are there specifics to that sector that would concern you about my ability to transition?”

That way you can find out why they’re asking and likely open up a dialogue to prove that you do have those specific skills; experience doing it exactly their way be damned.

Subderisorious posted:

I have some questions that hopefully someone can help with :) I have an interview next week at a major biotech company following a series of phone interviews.

skipdogg covered it pretty well, but I had this unfinished post sitting around from last night so I'm doing it anyway!

1) It is getting rarer to find employers who care about references, mainly because a lot of companies don't allow management or employees to give them combined with the fact that if someone does have references they're . . . y'know, gonna just say good things anyway.

Always good to have on hand though, so here's a couple of examples you can use: 1, 2and 3.

2) Doesn't matter. Seriously, it really doesn't. Unless it's part of their dress code, in which case I'm lying and it matters a lot. You may want to call and ask if that's the case and just make whatever decision from there.

3) You're going into an interview to show what you're capable of at your best, not who you are every day. Your interviewer doesn't look like that every day either (generally), and it's not deceptive any more than not wearing jorts to a funeral even though that's what you might have normally worn that day.

Find out if it's in the dress code. If it's not, then wear it after you get hired. Interviews are not the place to worry about fashion; so break down your looks to what is necessary to look professional and leave anything else at home. If you even begin to question if you shouldn't do something, then you probably shouldn't just to be safe.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

I have an interview for a very 'hands on" Mechanical Engineer position with business casual dress code.

I am thinking:
-Collared, button up shirt.
-Khaki or navy pants.
-sport coat or blazer that matches but probably a different color than the pants.
-Leather shoes but not shiny ones.
-No tie

What do you all think of this?

Will you be involved with manufacture? If yes then that should be good.

Best path is always to ask your recruiter or hiring manager "would a suit be appellate attire for the interview" so they know you intend to aim high and can talk you down as appropriate.

I'd recommend this for everyone, every time and for almost every job if the interview expectation isn't immediately apparent, though.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Then you should be fine.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

yoohoo posted:

what would be the best thing an "okay" fit could do to get the edge over a "great" fit?

I would love to hear from other interviewers on this.

My bottom line is literally an okay fit can't get an edge on a great fit. For me, that's like asking "How can a person who drives 20 mph over the entire length of a 10 mile track beat out a person who drives 70 mph over the entire length of a 10 mile track?" It's an impossible question.

I noticed you talked experience though. All I know about anyone is what they tell me, except for what I detective. Being able to do something for a lot of years (more than 5, as a cutoff--depending on how close to/far along the executive path you are) is kinda unimpressive to me, mostly because if you're so great why are you still doing the same thing a decade later? I end up asking myself why this person is so mediocre as to just exist as this OK thing that isn't good enough to be promoted or terrible enough to be fired. This isn't to say I haven't been surprised a few times by a person who's just genuinely in love with the thing they're doing.

I mean, I google you too. Also I probably check your Facebook. I ask security and the receptionist if they noticed you, and if they do, what they remember. I'll also scan company records to see if anyone lists you as their contact. This has probably won the edge for someone as often as it's solidified them as 2nd place btw.

I take a lot of pride in my hires!

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I shouldn't have presented, "why haven't you moved up," as some kind of general red flag. In my field it is, In others it's not. No matter what field, however, experience is only as valuable as your ability to communicate how much you've made of it.

I stand by my generalization that the most common differences between 5 and 10 years of experience in a single position are, a) how likely they are to be burnt out, and b) how clever they are at finding ways to avoid doing work.

Disclaimer, I'm only referring to most fields :colbert:.

And, CarForumPoster,absolutely I'll check Facebook. I can't speak for other employers, but I use it because I can cut away all the bullshit and see the candidate that I'd actually be hiring. All I'm doing though is making sure that there aren't any outright contradictions compared to your resume and that you're not a lovely human being (i.e. violently racist etc).

For example, you said you are bilingual and that your gap in employment was because you moved to a new state last year . . . and then your Facebook shows you checking in at bars from the same state for the last two years after posting how you were fired for lying about being bilingual and would rather be shooting up than working anyway.

I don't care one way or another about the boring day-to-day details, drunk pictures and/or "sexy" Myspace shots that everyone has.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Oh, I'll find you.

No, not really, there's like 1 out of 4 people I can't find anything on. Internally I high five them for being able to have such a low profile online and just go with whatever I got from the interview.

Think of it like this though, I have your name, your email, the state and city you live in, the name of your last employer, the school you went to and likely your interests/hobbies. Using that, Google yourself for exactly 10 minutes and decide if there's anything you should remove. Twitter probably hurts more people more than Facebook/G+ tbqh.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

semicolonsrock posted:

Can anyone tell me good places to find interview styles of companies? Glass door is good, but only for big ones. Right now I'm working off what the listing mentions, but would live any other resources.

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for; questions or types of interview settings.

If it's the former, Glassdoor is one of your better bets. If it's the latter I'd be careful over-preparing for a specific type of interview; it can change based on how many interviewers they have for what position and how many candidates there are.

Just prepare for behavioral questions and to act out or otherwise have your skills tested for the particular role and you'll be as prepared as I'd imagine you can be.

You might look into the various companies that provide hiring training and systems to companies so you can prepare for quirks and cultures. Check out places like http://www.peopleink.com/products.html and http://www.ddiworld.com/products-solutions/listing/targeted-selection then Google "Interviewing Systems" and read up!

EdsTeioh posted:

What is the best way for a male with long hair/beard to present himself on an interview? I'll be going on one at a major credit union this week and am struggling to find a clear answer for this. Tied back? Bun? Down? My hair just a bit past my collarbone and I keep it clean/trimmed, etc, but I REALLY want this job and want to make a great impression.

I'll echo DukAmok. Unless it serves religious purposes, cut your hair. Yes, long hair and beards will hold you back from getting a job in a customer facing industry. Yes you can still find places that will hire you with long hair and a beard.

If you have time on your hands and it's really important to find a place that accepts you no matter what you look like, then more power to you. I can only advocate that you don't let someone else get a job simply because they would rather someone else's hair(lessness) be the face of their business.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I'll probably just be echoing, but this is so common that I wanted to throw in my two cents.

Remember, the person who gets hired is the person who is most likely to add to the team/business and the least likely to be a drain. You have a very limited amount of time to impress them, and they're going to take everything you say about others and apply it to what they can expect you to say about them. The old addage, right? If you can't say something nice . . .

A better approach for you might be to say something like:

“It was a very hands-off management style with a lot of on-the-job learning and a trial-and-error method of approaching problems.

Since parting ways, I’ve retained the practiced focus on efficiently finding answers before asking questions, and it’s really helped me expand my knowledge base. Even if do I have ask someone for the right direction I’m better able to discuss the challenges I had in finding the information, which often helps me better understand the resources available.

Because of the focus on finding my own way and leveraging other employee’s knowledge and experiences, it also increased my professional network (as well as teaching me the importance of maintaining that network).

Another benefit of the internship was that my employer made it clear that he didn't want me to rely on him/her for everything, including my time-management. There was a lot of down-time in between projects thanks to how well we all worked together. Along with taking that down-time to better learn own my role and assisting others, I was allowed personal growth and to use it to expand my knowledge in web development and design.”

Do you think something like that might be able to be worked into your situation?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

corkskroo posted:

At an entry level or something like that you're best off accentuating the positive as much as possible.

Once you get to a higher level and have a good understanding of power dynamics and how to play the game you can navigate these waters and critique without talking out of class. But unless you're at that level just go with "accentuate the positive."

That said, read the room. When I interview folks, if they're perceptive, they figure out that I'm not you're average corporate hiring manager. Still, they shouldn't go overboard criticizing their previous job but a little "we're all grown-UPS" acknowledgement f challenges will let me appreciate their honesty. But read the room. That's my main advice for all situations. If you can read the room you can achieve a lot.

Would you mind fleshing that out a little more? I'm interested in your experience and environment.

How would they notice you aren't the average corporate hiring manager? how would you describe an average corporate hiring manager? How do you split the dichotomy between proper criticism and overboard criticism? How do you go about reading the room?

My personal experience with even high level executives: anything said about the last boss might as well be about them a year from now. I mean, unless it was something like "Haha yeah, my last boss was near impossible to work with at first, but I/we . . . " Basically, providing an example of their skills at partnering successfully with just about anyone. I've come away with "everyone can be a poor communicator/unfriendly boss/bad partner sometimes."

The people I've worked with are (ideally) individuals who can support the business, even when all the chips are down. They find ways to be successful in partnering with whoever is necessary (specifically without talking about someone who isn't present to defend themselves, like during an interview).

In the event I ended up sitting in front of someone with your take on things, however, it would be good to have insight into what you want people to align to.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Thanks for the follow up, that's a pretty in-depth explanation.

I agree with you entirely, I think, in that it's the difference between "but I don't want to badmouth them . . . " and "don't even get me started!" The easiest way I have to explain it is "the closer you come to name-calling, the further away your are from a job." Sound like what you're getting at?

I actually have a presentation coming up to talk to internal mobility and promotions. I'm trying to keep it laid out in steps/facts/actionable items, but also include the "flavors" they might need to recognize and adapt to (thanks again for your own btw).

Also, I liked your explanation of communication skill assessment in regards to the negative speech being rolled into overall communication ability. I'll probably adapt that for the presentation as well. It sounds silly, but I never drew such a clean, general summary. My take has been pretty much the same--but more geared towards the outcomes than the skill itself (i.e. "poisoning the well," causing inadvertent rifts, failing to capitalize on potential partnerships etc.)

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

No, it's the difference between saying something negative about a previous employer, at all, and still being in the running for a job. If you use either "I don't want to badmouth them" or "Don't even get me started!" in a job interview, that's pretty much going to be it, sorry.

Be positive. Always.

;) the difference between. I only used those as a way to allude to the general implications of a subtle interview conversation.

Agreed though!

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
What were the immoral policies?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Don't make common business practices a moral issue, talk to leaving a job field that just wasn't suited to you.

In fact steer the conversation towards how the experience there helped guide you towards the realization that what you really wanted to do was [thing you are applying to].

Remember, you're always running towards a job, and not away from any. It also helps keep you focused forwards on questions about things like this.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I agree that isn't a bad answer, and I don't think it would have hurt the interview.

As an aside, in case anyone gets it again, you can also use something along the lines of

"I've had that happen before. A couple came in and when I walked over they let me know they weren't interested in my help. They already knew what they needed and where it was.

I made sure they knew my name and told them I'm always available for questions if they come up. I also told them where they could find me and let them know we appreciated their visit.

They really appreciated the way I approached the situation, and the next time they came in they asked for me by name. I felt really good about being remembered, and now I share that experience as a best practice."

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I know what the interviewer wanted and that's why I said that tbqh.

You're right though, if it didn't happen don't lie about it. Do it today and hooray you won't be lying.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I agree to a point.

It's minimum expectations when people weave things and show that they really understand the question and can relate an experience to it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think more than a handful of interviewers do anything but root for each applicant until they prove themselves wrong for the job (if for nothing else, to fill the role as fast as possible).

It's far better when a person researches exactly what the role is looking for, makes sure to spend time practicing the times they are going to talk about at their current job, and just levels the competition by speaking to the actual experience that proves them the best candidate.

By and large, interviews are a thing you can walk out of knowing you have the job. The problem, time and time again, is that people "wing" them. They don't practice, and if they do, they don't research how to practice in a structured and consistent manner. Drives me insane! "Good enough" and "better than" are frustratingly weak ways to look at your own potential future, and I seriously cannot find it in me to pat someone on the back for what is, essentially, just "not screwing up."

It's not the 80's, you don't need to get lucky in who you know or what books your local library has in order to find out the best methods of doing things nowadays. Also, I just want to be clear that this isn't aimed at anyone at all in this thread--only at the idea that I challenge the notion that an interviewer should ever be (or that any ever really are) excited that someone is able to simply relate something meaningful to a question. At best, that's meeting the bare minimum expectations--as anything less is failure by definition.

I gave a seminar last week, and it was really eye opening for a lot of people to understand what a minimum expectation in interviewing was. I never get used to the fact that people simply don't think of googling "interview guide" (look at the second hit's pdf for God's sake).

I have no idea why that bothered me so much, but have a bunch of disproportionately aggressive words about it anyway I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Instead of defining yourself and your successes through overcoming a negative, can you think of a specific instance in which the skills you gained in conquering depression helped turn a good or not bad situation into a better one?

For clarification, not a dig on your being proud of your personal successes over depression, hold on to that. Professional life simply has a different focus, not a better or more important one.

• Locked thread