Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Protip: if you stumble on a question during an interview, don't call yourself or your thought process retarded. We'll make fun of you behind your back.

runlegosleeprepeat posted:

I've heard of interviews in technical fields using some oddball questions and/or brain teasers to see how candidates work through problems. For example, "How many barbers are there in Chicago?"

Now, in an engineering firm, these questions would be VERY important and much more revealing than other types of questions. They want to see how you think and work your way through a problem that you don't know the answer to.

You could answer the barber question like this:
1. Find total population in Chicago.
2. Divide in half to get number of men. Women don't go to barbers.
3. Multiply by some percentage to eliminate those men who cut their own hair or don't have any.
4. Figure how many haircuts a barber can give in a day.
5. Figure how often the average man gets a haircut.
6. Describe a rough formula to calculate the required number of barbers.

Or you could answer it like this:
"More than I could count! LOL"

In this case the "oddball" question is really a Competency question in disguise. Would you agree? What do you think of questions like this? With so many jobs being in technical fields, especially jobs that goons are applying for, this could be a common thing.

Thanks, this thread is awesome!

EDIT: VVVV Engineers can be consultants too!

I find these questions to be dumb and condescending. If there are only a few minutes left in the interview, then I know it's just to loosen up for the day and I'm somewhat ok with the question. If there is a significant amount of time, I always ask for another technical question or a design problem instead. These types of questions are just lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread