Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Dead Pressed posted:

If you have to travel out of state-and in my case 14 hours away out of state, you need more time to get there than "time with an accountant" gets you...

Pretty customary to be flown out the night before, interview, and fly back the next day. Or if for some reason that's not possible then interview on a Friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Teddles posted:

I really need to practice my interview bullshitting skills. In the middle of July I applied for a graduate job with a big four accounting firm to start in September which required a certain level of a specific rare language, so it wasn't as if they were tripping over candidates for the job. I have excellent academics across the board, graduated from a global top five university, and can speak the rare language to the required level and more. Alas, in the telephone interview I failed to show that I had sufficient career motivation. No job for me and no-one to fill that position for them, I guess.
:suicide:

What language?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

zmcnulty posted:

Japanese isn't rare. You were probably competing with a handful of other bilingual candidates, also from top schools, many of whom have better/native Japanese. Even in London... especially in London.

Yeah I was going to say the same. I wouldn't take it so personally Teddles, because a big 4 is definitely going to get plenty of people who can speak Japanese.

Now if they were desperately in need of a fluent Aramaic speaker then I'd be worried about your ability.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Teddles posted:

I'd only agree that Japanese isn't rare if we don't exclude the "Konnichiwa, watashi wa anime ga daisuki :japan:" selftaught :anime: crowd.

Of the Big Four, three recruit directly into Japanese departments via the graduate program, which starts hiring in August/September; as of right now, almost ten months after these positions opened, two of the three are still open - the ones which require actual Japanese ability, N3 and business-level fluency respectively. The one which doesn't require Japanese ability went only last week. So what with these positions which only hire one or two graduates at most being available nine months on, to start in September - and one of them requiring a low Japanese level that I think would actually be pretty useless in a business context - I don't think that it's fair to say that hordes of high-level Japanese speakers are beating their way to their doors. I'm not saying that I'd be the very best at the job, but I'd probably be above average, and certainly better than thin air, which is who they're currently on target to recruit.

I only applied to two, the N3 and no-Japanese required one - business level Japanese is a bridge too far, I think. The no-Japanese one went while I was still in the preliminary testing phase, which is fair enough; if it's gone, it's gone. I failed the N3 one at telephone interview; again, I wouldn't mind, but being criticised for my career motivation by an organisation at which the mass exodus of graduates who've used and abused it to get their qualifications and then say "gently caress you bye" is practically an annual tradition stings a bit. I would have stayed, you silly geese.

I got feedback, which was actually pretty good of them, but the unrealistic nature of what they were looking for really opened my eyes to just how much you need to embellish, exaggerate and, as the partner of a Big Four firm told me, make poo poo up to get in.

Now I don't know the particulars of this situation but I work at a big 4 (consulting side though) and just because a job is listed doesn't mean they didnt hire someone. At least in my area they are always looking to hire if you're qualified. Now, of course, you may be right and I'm not certain how I would convey career motivation myself in an interview. (I came in experienced not entry level so it's a different style)

Do you have any idea what they may have been talking about? Possibly an answer to some question you remember?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Ron Don Volante posted:

What's the consensus on sending a thank you note/email after an interview? Is it expected now?

Don't send a thank you note unless you're a 70 year old grandmother. People often send thank you emails but they aren't required and don't really help your chances. As for "required now" no... They used to be more common but have started disappearing.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Alternatively, why don't job listings have a salary range included? Seeing "based on experience" doesn't really help. Both sides are just waiting for the other to name a number first because whoever says a number first loses.

Not really. The person offering the job in most cases knows what they will pay and wont offer to someone making far less or more. Much like someone who is looking for a job won't include salary ranges but they almost definitely have a low end they wont breach (I'm thinking of people who are valuable and in-demand here)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

Just write them, it is better than not writing them.

No. Definitely do not write a thank you email 3 weeks later.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

corkskroo posted:

Just a reminder: Always send a custom written thank you note! This is important!!

Interview advice from grandma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

corkskroo posted:

It's true, but you'd be amazed at how often it gets overlooked and the impact it can have.

I misread it as an actual hand-written note at first. Thank you emails are so-so... I often send them, but I wouldn't say it's important. As someone who has hired people I've never given them any thought unless they use really poor grammar/spelling.

• Locked thread