Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm flying out of town this evening for an interview tomorrow morning. I just realized that I will be leaving the hotel, going to the interview, and then going to the airport to fly home. What am I supposed to do with my suitcase? Leave it with the receptionist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

blah blah blah FoN. BLAH!

Reading this and practicing the tips, as soon as I applied them I got offered a job that's a) outside of the loving defense industry and b) an excellent career move.

Oh poo poo, and c) a 40% raise.

I got my offer letter yesterday, now I'm dealing with my manager to nail down an effective start date since I don't want to put in my 2 weeks notice until the background check/drug screen clears. I know they WILL clear, but with as lucky as I feel right now, I could see some loving hiccup that takes forever to sort out and ugh. That, and I want two weeks after I finish this job so I can drive across the state to turn equipment in, then move my family the 600 miles we're going for the job.

I'm saving every single receipt for deductions, boom.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

After my second interview with a company I got a verbal offer and submitted paperwork for a background check. It is my understanding that a written offer will come pending my check results (which should be clean). That's all very straightforward.

What's confusing me is they've mentioned a starting date of [verbal offer + 2 weeks], when I likely won't receive the written offer until a few days before then. Is it expected that people will give notice following a verbal offer? That sounds idiotic to me.

Just tell them you're willing to start two weeks from the date that you have an actual offer in your hand. They'll understand. Things change, and you don't want to be out on your bum because they rescinded the offer because the background check company mixed you up with Julio Caeaser Fatass and they thing you urinated on a playground 8 years ago.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

1. "Varied."
2. "I've been asked not to disclose this information." "Exchange rates make this varied."
3. "Negotiable based on benefits."

You are by no means required to give them this information and they can't make you give them a W2 to verify anything you tell them if you decide to tell them.

I generally just say that my current compensation doesn't impact what the compensation should be for the position they're advertising, or I make up a number that's 25% higher than what I make and say that number and "but that's just base, and I have a nice bonus and excellent, cheap benefits."

But if they're pressing that hard, I generally don't care to continue as they're probably going to be cheap as poo poo. If they keep pressing and you don't want to give the information, tell them that. Or say "just put in 1 dollar and we can come back to that if we decide we'd like to work together."

E: One more. If they press in person or over the phone I like to say "let's decide we want to dance before we talk about picking the music."

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Tell them you were meeting with them under the assumption they wanted to see if you were a fit for head of business development. If they ask if you're interested in the other role, just say you'd like to focus on the head of business development. You can fluff it up a bit, but you aren't forced to waste your time if they're going to try to turf you to a position you don't want.

• Locked thread