Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
the Japanese thing throws me so this might be terrible advice:

I work IT development for a financial business and was kind of hesitant about joining. When they asked why, I pretty much said straight up that most finance places view IT as a commodity/cost-center and I want to be somewhere I can help drive and expand the business (implied: be rewarded for doing so and not stuck in a closet somewhere ).

Turns out that was actually a very good question because they were looking for that kind of thing and so was I so "hooray" because it might have been what got me the job, plus I felt good about the firm.

Thats pretty forward and might be considered rude at a Japanese firm, I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My first interview I mailed "a nice handwritten note" per my mom's advice. Looking back, I think it made me look really green and kind of weird. I didn't get the job and that prob wasn't the only reason but I doubt it helped.

Sitting on the other side of the table: I think a short email is ideal. They may not care but its never going to hurt.

For my job now I sent an email to everyone saying thank you, that I was very interested in what they were doing and I would be a great fit because my specific value to them would be x in role y. It was like three sentences written fairly casually.

Sending something in the mail or handing over paper is going to be looked at strangely unless you know they would go for that kind of thing or there is some specific circumstance.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

just wear a suit. You will never be faulted for wearing a suit outside of some small places in bizarro startup land.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Last guy we hired passed his final interview six months before he started.

That's how long it took for funding to get approved. It got denied a few time in that period, but eventually someone changed their mind,

question for people who have worked longer than the past 7 or so years:

Is this a recession thing? I know 6 months is kind of an outlier but it seems like these really long interview processes or sudden position cancellations happen an awful lot, and I am wondering if its just the way things go or a new terrible twist.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

its not uncommon for people who wear suits a lot to buy 2 or 3 identical suits to make life easier. So, unless you've got a stain or something its basically impossible to tell if its the same suit anyway.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

My first job interview I had some hypothetical business case as part of the interview and spoke for ~20 minutes on SE Asian outsourcing. It would have been great if the job had anything at all to do with SE asian or if I had also gone into depth about other things to show I'm smart in general. But I ran short on time and never got around to my other points. So I seemed like a dude really up something unimportant for the job at hand and didn't get the position.

In that spirit, I would love to read stories of truly terrible interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Email thank you notes are good. Especially if you had some natural rapore (spelling?) with the interviewer and can mention something you enjoyed or follow up on something. Either way it's like a sentence or two most of the time and probably makes no difference.

Hand written is I think pretty anachronistic and will probably make you look weird unless it's some niche industry where that's appropriate. My mom gave me some nice stationary for thank you notes when I graduated school and the first job I actually got was when I stopped doing that. She had good intentions but when was the last time you got a letter and was it from a parent or grand parent? Exactly.

This is just what I've been told, obviously you'll have exceptions of all kinds.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 9, 2014

• Locked thread