Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Pilkington posted:

I have a friend that is currently looking for a job and getting a few interviews here and there. However, I worry that she may be losing points in the interview due to "speaking fob." By that I mean adding and leaving S's off of words, improper verb conjugation, etc. I feel like this is a subject that interviewers won't mention to an interviewee if they ask for feedback and I was looking for opinions from those with more experience on the subject.

It could be an issue, especially if the position is any way customer facing. Your people represent your company, and someone who cannot communicate in proper English might not be the best fit for the job. Thinking about it though, I don't think I've ever given it much conscious thought, more or less lumped it in with how they generally presented themselves which is why someone might not get feedback on that sort of thing directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Subderisorious posted:

I have some questions that hopefully someone can help with :) I have an interview next week at a major biotech company following a series of phone interviews.

1) I want to bring a list of references but I'm not sure how to format it. I always thought I was supposed to have three people so of those three, I no longer work with two - so do I list their current employers like I see on generic templates?

2) I'm wearing a skirt suit (which is okay since I'm not a guy). Am I supposed to wear nylons? Again, it's a major interview. But wearing nylons for almost 10 hours of being grilled sounds unpleasant.

3) For almost 10 years now, I've had a very small, unoffensive nose piercing (stud). I'm told I should take that out for interviews but isn't that almost deceptive if I plan to wear it when I work?

My opinion

1: I've never heard of anyone actually being asked for references, but I keep a simple sheet titled References in the portfolio I bring to interviews just in case. I personally put their job title and company. Gives credibility to the reference in my mind. Are they getting a reference from my pet sitter, or a manager I used to work for?

2: I'm a guy, but I know this varies by what part of the country your in, and the type of company you are interviewing with. Modern West Coast company, no nylons needed. Stodgy Old East Coast company, play it safe and wear them. Banks and Law firms, definitely nylons. In the south it just kind of depends. Try to do some homework on the company. It's also a generational thing. Folks in my generation (late 20's early 30's) don't really seem to care either way, while my mom who just turned 50 would never even think about not wearing them to a job interview/church/funeral/formal occasion.

Worth mentioning, there are tons of different kinds of nylons out there. You don't have to get the generic Hanes Control Top ones at the drug store. If it's warmer weather wise you can go to a lighter denier nylon which will be a little more sheer and breathe easier. If the mega control top stuff bothers you get ones that don't have it. A decent department store will have a nice selection. Make sure they fit as well! My wife can't stand pantyhose at all, so on the ultra rare occasion where decorum requires a dress and no bare legs she's worn stockings and a garter belt. Keeps her lady bits cooler I guess. Probably not something I would recommend in your situation.

Honestly if I was a woman I would be more worried about having comfortable but interview appropriate shoes for a 10 hour interview day than if I should wear hose or not. Definitely leave the power pumps at home.

3: Once again comes down to the company, try to research what working for them is like. Anyone over the age of 50 is probably going to notice it and unconsciously have a negative impression of it. Many places have a dress code policy that forbids facial piercings. If they don't, don't worry about it.

Interviewing is tricky, you have such a short period of time to make a good impression.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Generally I ask about the work/life balance of the position.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My personal thoughts are you get 1 thank you contact and 1 follow up, don't use the follow up too soon, but don't wait too long. If they said you'd hear something by Wednesday, don't follow up at 9:30AM on Wednesday, but if you haven't heard by Friday afternoon or the following Monday, a follow up wouldn't be out of place.

• Locked thread