Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Stangg posted:

I want to ask a question in a 2nd round interview with a HR Manager and Senior Manager in a Japanese Investment Bank. Basically I want to feel out how they view the IT department as I know from experience that not having a positive view from senior management on the IT side of things makes for a pretty miserable life working there, how do you think it would be best to word this? At the moment I have something along the lines of "How do you envisage a typical day for someone in my position?"

I'd go with "Can you tell me more about the team I would be a part of?" That will give you a general sense of how they feel, plus you could respond with "I think that my skills in X will really complement the team's Y."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Do you have an iPad/laptop that you could bring in to show examples of your work? That would be the best solution, but be sure to download your website in case there isn't available Internet. If not, I'd email them and ask them if there is a PC available during your interview to show your examples, and include a link to your website. That's better than printing, since your work wasn't meant to be seen on paper, so there is always some degradation. I'd avoid redesigning their product, as it could be taken as criticism of the people you are going to be working with. I'd mention that you looked at their products, since it shows that you prepared, but tread very lightly when criticizing it. The last thing you want is to seem arrogant, nobody likes a new guy coming in, invalidating the team's previous work, and changing everything right away without getting any buy-in.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

melon cat posted:

[*]They're asking me a really interesting question: "What one question would you like us to ask you during an interview?" I've never had to think of an answer to such a question! Any suggestions?

I'd go with "When can you start?" I'm serious, this answer has several advantages. First of all, you've made the reviewer smile. Reading job applications is dull, and you've created a positive moment for the reviewer, which they will associate with you. They will also be more likely to remember you because of it. You've shown that you have a sense of humor, which is good, as one of the major criteria job interviewers look for is "Will I mind working with this person everyday?" Finally, this answer projects confidence. It says that you believe the rest of the application and resume stands on its own, so you can afford to give an honest answer rather than tell the reviewer what you think they want to hear. Granted, this answer is risky, as you don't know if the reviewer will have a sense of humor, but I think it will pay off more often than not.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Typically, most objective assessments in job interviews tend to be on the easy side. They are there to weed out the idiots, if you have some basic level of competency you should do fine on them, and getting an exceptional score won't help much. Of course, if your job requires some third party or government certification that could be a whole different ballgame, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Rolled Cabbage posted:

What did I do wrong?

A while ago I was approached by company asking if I'd like to come and work for them. I say sure thing, send me the details. Seemed cool so I sent in my CV. Recruiting person really likes it and next day I get an email asking for salary and notice period. So I ask if they have a number in mind, that I'd rather meet in person first to discuss and sure we could find number that works for both of us. Same day they get back and position has been got rid of and they might have something later in the year.

I loathe my current job and thought this one sounded pretty good, so I'm a bit :smith: what can I do to avoid this in future?

Chances are something happened internally that doesn't involve you. Either the person who you spoke with overstepped their authority and got shot down, or there was some confidential information they didn't have access to that directly affected your potential position.

• Locked thread