Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Dd they specifically tell you that you failed to show sufficient career motivation or did you infer that when you didn't get the job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Volmarias posted:

I realize that this is something of a rant, but I'm really annoyed by the idea you're proposing that the phone screen is actually a personality test, when it's really a "is this person able to tie their shoes y/n if y is this person an engineer y/n" test.

Interviews for technical positions tend to be conducted quite differently.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Yes and no. I'd say most phone interviews I've had, for non-technical positions that aren't sales, want to know about my experience and background and will ask about my resume and if I have experience doing certain things, and the rest is personality/behavioral. Are you persuasive? Do you get along well with others? Tell me about a time you did x. What would you do in this situation... Things like that.

At least half the time (more if I'm limiting it to big companies), it's conducted by an HR person or recruiter who isn't familiar enough with what I'd be doing to really dig deep into my competency, that's what the face to face interviews with potential managers or colleagues are for. So instead the interviewer is just going through my resume point by point (Oh I see you worked here, tell me about that. It says on your resume you speak another language, how fluent are you, etc) and then it really is the kind of vague questions I listed above.

But I think a lot of it is that at least in the fields I've dealt with, you won't even get this initial phone screen if your resume sucks and you don't have the right experience. Programming might be different in that you can sort of bullshit your resume, but it's really easy to tell if you can't code, so you might as well use that as the screener.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Urit posted:

Basically, what's the best way to say "Well I've never run into that, so I have no idea how I'd react." Just say that?

My sense is that you really have two options,

1. Say that you've been fortunate enough to never encounter that scenario (if it's one of those bad ones like disagreements with co-workers), but that if you did encounter that situation, you'd deal with it in a professional manner and do blah blah blah.

2. Say you've never encountered that exact scenario, but then share an anecdote of a similar scenario and you dealt with it.

However I'm curious what the OP thinks, given

quote:

• How to answer behavioral questions: Directly and as a story. If you hear “Tell me about a time,” “Can you tell me when you,” or “Give me an example of” then you will answer with “About [time] ago at [company] I [did things] with [people’s actual names] and [the end result was]. What I learned from this was [lesson] and it’s something that I try to pass on by [whatever method] to [achieve results faster/help others avoid pratfalls/whatever].” If you instead start your reply with “I would” or “I think” or “What I usually” then just excuse yourself from the interview and apologize for being terrible at parsing questions unexpectedly asked in plain English. In today’s interviewing environment this is the most common type of interview question, and my last question is the response most people give.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

WampaLord's suggestion is quite good, although I feel like in DC at least you can totally mention sequestration and people will be like "oh, got it, totally understand."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

What's your reaction if you can't find any internet presence for someone?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

At this point it just reminds them you got lazy and forgot.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

No sense in being modest, Advanced or even Expert are fine if you think you're really good with the software. Just keep in mind the job you're applying to and what you'll be expected to do.

That's an awesome question. Hard to help you though. What do you want them to know? What's your biggest strength/asset? What unique skillset do you bring to the position?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

"Everyone lies. But I've never lied in my professional life."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I don't think you hosed anything up, but that sounds unusually formal for a phone interview. I've definitely have time-constrained interviewers before, but never one that was like "we are stopping at exactly 30 minutes," did they give you a reason?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I also sent a follow up email with a bunch of questions about the company that I was genuinely curious about, as well as hopefully showcasing I am a bit more motivated than an average candidate. Questions such as "How much would I be expected to cooperate with other departments?" and that I believe I have some value beyond my immediate role. Was that good move? The email I got back was basically a politely worded "all the information you need is on the recruitment page" and I don't think the other person even bothered to read my mail, so it's a moot point, but I'm wondering for future opportunities.

I wouldn't do this in the future. Save these questions for an actual in-person interview (or at least a phone interview), preferably with someone in the department you'd be working in, not HR.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Dude, he wasn't attacking you, he was presenting the interviewer's perspective when they hear an answer like that. And he's right, there really aren't that many circumstances where it's better to tell an interviewer that your old job sucked, no matter the reason.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's happens. Maybe the CIO wasn't impressed by anyone he interviewed, maybe they were interviewing for a potential contract that didn't get signed, or the money they were going to use to hire someone got tied up somewhere else. Some companies even interview candidates regularly just to have people on file for when a position crops up (but they won't tell you that).

I don't think there's much of a protocol, be polite, say you remain interested in working with them in the future if another opportunity comes up, and that's it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

No, his answer is good. The bad answer would be to say that you'd "leave them alone." You might also say that you would tell them your name and then stay in their general vicinity in case they did need help.

edit: Similar situation, I know of a company that used to ask its retail employees something along the lines of "If you noticed $10 was missing from your paycheck, would you take that money from the cash register?" Obvious answer is no, but the "correct" answer is "I'd talk to my boss about why the money was missing."

Xandu fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 25, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

You can't specifically counter the perception that "big companies are [insert x here]" if it doesn't come up in the interview because you don't know exactly what their perceptions are, and as you said, people have different perceptions about the same company.

But you can show yourself as versatile, adaptable, whatever, on your cover letter and in the interview. Give examples of multitasking or handling change or dealing with a fast pace, whatever you think might be relevant. You can, to some extent, look at how the place you're interviewing at presents itself and adapt your examples to that. Sometimes that's easier, certainly if you're going to a small startup from a large multinational, that's something that can and does need to be openly addressed in an interview.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 7, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Kate Hate posted:

Sorry if this question was already asked, I skimmed the entire thread last night but wasn't sure if I saw this one.

How do you answer the "Why did you choose this company" question? I have a phone interview on Friday and the reason I am applying at this particular company is because (1) I'm moving out of state and my current company only has offers in the new location that are upper management and technology positions and (2) I like working in banking but I don't like working in sales and this is an analyst position at a bank; I meet all of the qualifications and then some. Are those reasons good or too honest? Every time I Google this interview question I get a lot of answers that involve gushing about the company and while I respect what the company does and want to be a part of it, I don't want to sound too desperate. I've been looking for a job out of town since the beginning of April, this is the first bite I've had, and I really don't want to screw this opportunity up.

1. Absolutely not, you can talk about location and how you're moving to the area, but don't say "I'd rather be staying with my current company.'
2. Yes, but don't mention sales. Focus on what you like about banking and analytical position.

Those people aren't wrong, focus on the industry if you have to, but the more you can specify about why that particular company would be a good fit, then do so.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, don't even think about mentioning depression. It's a red flag. Talk about a professional or school achievement and bullshit if you have to.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Honestly yes, medical issues, especially when vague and potentially non-physical, are red flags. It's a good story, but interviewers won't likely react well.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I wouldn't phrase it as "why they've stuck around that long," but I don't think it's inappropriate to ask what they like about the company. You can get some interesting information based on what they choose to focus on.

You should have some questions on the company and/or job itself prepared, though.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Crosspost from the resume/interview megathread: I am expecting a call at an unspecified time from an interviewer for a phonescreen. Is there ANY reason at all that I should NOT just deflect it, say it's a bad time (with some reasonable explanation) and reschedule it for a couple hours ahead of time? This is for a contract-to-hire position and ordinarily things would be scheduled through the contracting agency but the particular manager likes to do it directly.

I can't think of any reason this guy would be doing this specific thing besides trying to catch candidates a little off guard to see how they handle it.

It won't hurt you, but if you're already expecting it and it isn't a bad time, I don't see any reason not to just answer the questions.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I get it, just say you're busy at work or out and that it'd be great if he could call you back at x o'clock.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I'd say next week, but since it's Christmas, send them an e-mail on the 29th. It's possible they'll wait until after the holidays to make a final decision.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I mean, it is a little odd that they asked if you were still interested and called your references and then didn't back to you the next day. But given that it's the holidays and people are on vacation, I don't think it's anything to worry about yet. It's possible they're just waiting on one guy's final approval.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Alder posted:

I have a interview here for data scanner: https://www.linkedin.com/company/jerrick-media

But I have no idea what kind of company this is other than online advertising?

Not an advertising company. Looks like a holding company for a few online media brands. Here's a list of their brands

jerrickmedia.com/about/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, don't be worried, but make sure you practice, those video interviews can be weird if you're used to getting some sort of feedback.

• Locked thread