Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Fame Throwa posted:

I really struggle with interviews, and I'm sure a lot of goons have the same kind of issues. I have social anxiety and while I function well in most social situations, job interviews are still pretty much pure torture to me. It doesn't matter how much I practice answers or whether I have good stories, I turn into a human disaster when I interview. Other than :catdrugs:, does anyone have any suggestions for getting through interviews when you have a lot of anxiety?

If you're good at what you do, own it. Go in thinking you're the best there is on the market. Don't sweat what they haven't even asked yet and just roll with the punches (if there are any). Don't look at it as whether the interviewer likes you... it's about whether you like them. It should never be the other way around. You're there to evaluate them. If they open a door for you, you have the option to take it. How would you act if you were there to have a discussion with someone you might want to sacrifice 8+ hours of your life per day? I would act like the company has something to prove to me. That makes me much more comfortable in interviews - and so far my track record is somewhere at around a 95% success rate (of about 20 interviews).

Of course, this is also assuming you did some screening before you went in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

ChairMaster posted:

So I need a couple good lies for the questions "What's your worst quality?" and "What's the deal with the long gap in your employment history?"

The true answers to both of these are not the sort of things that'll get me hired, they're "I'm a weird loser who doesn't connect with people, and I procrastinate every single thing in my life, and I stay up all night for no reason at all", and "I was just really depressed and didn't want to leave the house so I spent all my time playing video games and jerking off".

Like the first one you're supposed to be honest and talk about what your solution to what sucks about you is but I don't really have a solution, and nobody would hire someone with those problems even if I did. And the second one, I know you're supposed to talk about doing something constructive with your time, but I can't really think of anything I could make up that someone would believe. What should I say to these?

e: Also the gap in my employment history is almost 6 months long, and the reason for it is cause I got fired for not being good at my last job.

For the "worst quality" question, I typically say I trust people too much. To "solve" this, I always ensure I take an extra effort follow up with folks so we can hold each other accountable. The reason is to stay mindful that other people are busy (and forgetful as poo poo) and we often do not have the same priorities.

• Locked thread