Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost
Awwww, it's a baby!

I, A_Bluenoser, oath these 24 Napoleonic British line infantry for the month of May. They are 6mm scale and are from Baccus Miniatures.

If it is not too simple I suppose these are also a themed group since they are all part of the same infantry battalion and will all be identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

I plan on doing Baccus Austrians as an oath soon too. I love painting 6mm. I love it so much I've just sold 2 huge painted 6mm Napoleonics armies and now intend on doing them all over again. This bloody hobby...

I have been finding 6mm quite fun indeed. I just got back into miniatures after a six-year hiatus and the last things I painted before I stopped were 28mm heroic for 40k. I was pleasantly surprised at how much more fun and simple 6mm miniatures are and how good they look when put together as a unit.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
Nap Ghost
Oath Complete!

Some close-up images. Sorry for the poor quality, I have a five-year old point-and-shoot camera with no manual settings so I used the macro mode.

A bonus photo of them with the rest of their unit (the oathed minis are second base from the left).

There are 96 6mm figures in the unit and they represent a battalion of 600-800 men. I need three to four battalions of infantry plus some cavalry and artillery to have any sort of interesting game so still a long way to go!

In addition to the oath I hope to qualify for Themed Unit (British Napoleonic 1808-1812), Da Detectuvs Jurnal and Parts List.

Da Detctuvs Jurnal and parts list

Pretty much all the paints I use are things I had lying around from painting 40k about six years back and what I could get at the local hobby shop. The Vallajo paints are the only ones I ordered in.

Priming

I superglue the minis to a wooden batten for painting. I prime white and then use a brown wash to fill in the details and provide shadows.

Superglue
Wooden Batten
Armoury White Primer
GW Chestnut Ink

Basecoat

I paint the faces light flesh; the coats red; the trousers dark gray; the hats, shoes, greatcoat roll and cartridge boxes black; the packs dark brown.

GW Elf Flesh
GW Blood Red
Testors Model Master Acrylic (TMMA) Engine Gray
GW Chaos Black
TMMA Burnt Sienna

Highlights and Details

I paint all the belts white and the greatcoat roll on the top of the packs light gray. I also use light gray to highlight the trousers and hats. The hat badge is gold and the cuff turnbacks are light blue (this will be different for each battalion). The plumes are red with a white tip (this the same for all British centre companies). The gunstocks are light brown and the barrels and bayonets are silver.

TMMA Flat White
TMMA Neutral Gray
GW Burnished Gold
VMC Andrea Blue
VMC Light Brown
GW Chainmail

Basing

I use 1mm sheet styrene for the bases and I attach the minis using five-minute epoxy. I paint the bases dark brown and the glue on fine light brown ballast using standard white glue. To bring out the texture I drybrush the ballast with a bit of buff paint and then paint the edges light brown. Finally I add a bit of flock. I then varnish the models using a gloss coat followed by a dull coat.

1mm Sheet Styrene
Five-minute Epoxy
TMMA Burnt Sienna
White (PVA) Glue
Woodland Scenics fine brown ballast
VMC Buff
VMC Light Brown
Woodland Scenics fine turf (weeds)
Testors Gloss Coat
Testors Dull Coat

I think that's everything!

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
Nap Ghost

Thundercloud posted:

They look incredible when you have armies of them with well modelled terrain though.

That's the idea! And since you can get over a thousand of these guys for $100 or so you can start to field pretty impressive armies quite cheaply. It means that your games start to look more like the Battle of Jena as fought by Napoleon, not the battle of Jena as re-enacted by the local Napoleonic enthusiasts club.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
Nap Ghost

krushgroove posted:

Cool! :) This is a good time to remind some folks that

:siren: I STILL NEED ADDRESSES FOR THESE PRIZE WINNERS :siren:

Ledgem
A_Bluenoser
Namenlos

Ledgem - I also need to know what Dragon Forge products you want (up to $12.50 value, give me the product number and complete name) from the Dragon Forge website: http://dragonforge.com/It's actually easier for me to get email (because I can search for emails, can't with PMs) so please email me at krushgroove169 at gmail with your info

in the future I may have to institute a one-month cut-off for anyone who doesn't reply to their prize winner notifications. Sounds harsh, but we really don't want to be posting about this all through the following month. Please get in touch!

I did send you my mailing address and got a reply from you but I'll send it again :).

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
Nap Ghost
I, A_Bluenoser, oath these 24 French Napoleonic Infanterie de Ligne from Baccus Miniatures. The scale is 6mm.

The are also a themed group (2nd company of the 1st battalion of generic regiment of French line infantry).

Sadly I missed June due to the summer sailing season starting and an unexpected bout of boat building but things seem to have settled down so time to get going on minis again :).

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
Nap Ghost
Oath Complete

Napoleonic French line infantry in 6mm from Baccus Miniatures.

From the front

From the back

These should count as a themed group. I'm not as impressed with the casting on these ones as I was with the Brits in May but they are still pretty good. The metal is quite hard and brittle and most of the bayonets had broken off. I managed to glue them back on but the guns look a bit more like spears now. Oh well, still perfectly paintable :). I hope the colour re-production on these photos is better than for my Brits in May. My ancient point-and-shoot won't adjust the white balance or focus properly so I started playing around with gimp and managed to clean them up a little. They are a bit better than the raw photos but still not quite right...

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mr.Booger posted:

I know baccus is redoing their french line, how long ago did you buy them (might be from the older molds, which I think were starting to wear)

My brits were sharp and most of the ACW stuff I picked up is very crisp, but the covered wagons look to be an old mold as well.

I bought them in January or February as part of a big pack. They certainly look like they could be from a mould that was wearing out, a bit rough and pitted, but the detail underneath is not too bad. There was quite a bit of metal between the legs I had clear out. The metal was also different from the British, much harder and more brittle so a bit of a pain to work with. It was no problem in the end, just some extra work cleaning and gluing, but a bit of a disappointment after the very high quality British minis. Lots more of them to do so I just needed to come up with a system to work with them. The French cavalry looks better so it may just have been a bad batch of castings.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
Nap Ghost
I, A_Bluenoser, oath these 48 Napoleonic French line infantry. They are 6mm from Baccus Miniatures.

After a very busy semester at school re-training for a new career I finally have a bit of time to paint. Probably the last time too until the spring if the second semester is as busy as the first.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
Nap Ghost
Oath Complete!

From the front (they are not actually glossy, its just how the colour balance came out when photographing them)

From the back

They are also a themed group comprising the third and fourth company of a generic battalion of Napoleonic French line infantry. No Junranl, the guns and bayonets are actually metallic paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
Nap Ghost
Oh my, I had not checked this thread in a while and had not noticed you needed my contact info. I will send an email right away! Hopefully now that I am all moved, and my stuff is on the way I will be able to get into the new thread!

• Locked thread