Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
So I understand that models need to be only basecoated or primed to qualify as starting oaths, but what if I've primed different parts of the same model white and black? So I need to prime it all black and then re-prime the wings of my model white again?

e: I'm going to oath something else this month so I get off on the right foot, having never oathed before.

I, Zhent, oath that I will paint these 2 Games Workshop Space Marine Attack Bikes as my first official Oath. Look, a Baby!

Zhent fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
For the Detektuv's Jurnal, should we post all 3 WIP pictures in a single reply, or as we take them through the course of the month? Should any additional photos over the 3 required be posted in the painting thread, to limit the spam here?

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Zhent posted:

So I understand that models need to be only basecoated or primed to qualify as starting oaths, but what if I've primed different parts of the same model white and black? So I need to prime it all black and then re-prime the wings of my model white again?

e: I'm going to oath something else this month so I get off on the right foot, having never oathed before.

I, Zhent, oath that I will paint these 2 Games Workshop Space Marine Attack Bikes as my first official Oath. Look, a Baby!

I didn't include these in the original pictures, and I'm not sure if it actually makes any difference to the oath, but since they are a sponsor of the entire Thread and the bases are great, I wanted to include a picture of my Dragonforge bases that the attack bikes will be based on. These are going to be consistent throughout my entire Ravenwing army.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Hey everyone! Just a reminder that if you painted a bunch of miniatures that go together, you might want to apply for the themed group drawing. Hey, it can't hurt, right?

Sorry if this is a question already answered somewhere else, but do all the models for the theme drawing need to be part of a single oath? Or since that is a bi-monthly prize, can the models be painted across both months and count as one drawing?

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Zhent posted:

OATH COMPLETE

Finishing my first ever oath feels pretty good - Let me see what I can do to rack up some bonus points while I go here.

Detektuv's Jurnal

First shot. Bikes have been primed, bases have been soaked and scrubbed. Bases are from Dragonforge, one of the thread sponsors and I feel like I should keep mentioning that. I love his stuff, I have another 48 bases of this cobblestone pattern for the rest of my Ravenwing army and god knows how many for my Sons of Horus.

Second shot. Bikes are highlighted with grey and a 50/50 grey/white mix. Bases are primed black and airbrushed Minitaire Clay Red.

Third Shot. Bike bits have been painted, bases have been finished, and bikes are now attached to bases. From here to the complete shot there is some weathering of the tires, the headlights, and then some varnishing.

The Parts List:
Bases: Dragonforge Cobblestone Rubble bases. Painted with Minitaire Dark Leather, Red Clay, and Scorching Red. Alternating washes of Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil

Models: GW Attack Bikes. Primed with Vallejo Surface black primer. Highlights are Minitaire Charred Stone, Base Grey, and Dusty Ground. Reds are Minitaire Nebula Red. Greens are Minitaire Orc Complexion. Chrome is GW Leadbelcher, highlighted with GW Ironbreaker. Headlight is Minitaire Spellslinger Blue, Sky Blue, and Snow White. Also used are Secret Weapon weathering powders Rust Red and Rust Brown.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Zhent posted:

Oath Complete Post

Leperflesh - I have my Parts List in my complete post, but it is not indicated on the spreadsheet, unless I missed something require for that point. I believe the combination of Parts List and Detektuv's Jurnal also gets me the double bonus, which I did not list - should I edit that in?

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

My Alternate Universe Oath:

I hereby Alternate Universe oath this Forgeworld Bloodthirster of Khorne [GW], to be completed by October 5th!

I'm not sure if it needs a timestamp, since it isn't limited to this month, but since I took the picture with my phone I couldn't really get the clock in there. If needs be I can take another, since I'm going to spend the entire weekend filling holes and greenstuffing the seams.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

I, Zhent, pledge to oath 6 Ravenwing Bikers, 2 with Plasma Guns, from Games Workshop, along with 6 Dragonforge Cobblestone bases!

Battle Damage for Dummies, here I come...

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Sole.Sushi posted:

Unfortunately, yes, it does need a timestamp. Get it filled and pretty, and grab a shot for us all when you can.

Shot of the Bloodthirster with the time-stamp.

Alternate Universe Oath!

I understand these have to be completed by the end of the Season, but my goal is to have this done by October 4th!

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

It is well deserved. Your scythes are incredible and I am sorely tempted to rip off your color scheme in its entirety. If I were not already trying [failing] to replicate the Maynarkh colors out of IA12 I would be.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Zhent: Oath Complete

I am running out the door and just forgot that I never posted my oath - I will update the pictures later on if I make it back in time to set up my light box and take something not-poo poo.

I also qualify for a Themed Group and Battle Damage. The Themed Group is 6 Ravenwing Bikers - they go with one of the Attack Bikes in my last oath, but they are a themed group in and of themselves I believe.

Battle Damage:

A couple of bullet holes through the winged armor plating, and some cracks spiderwebbed out from them.

A bullet has glanced off the shoulderpad of this marine and dinged his backpack as well.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

I, Zhent, oath one Ravenwing Attack Bike from Games Workshop

Given the holiday, I am going to try and get this one done in 24 hours...

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Zhent posted:

I, Zhent, oath one Ravenwing Attack Bike from Games Workshop

Given the holiday, I am going to try and get this one done in 24 hours...

Oath Complete! and I am claiming Speed Painting

A mere 4 hours before I fly out of town for the weekend, so I am glad that I got him done. If it is allowed, I will post some better pictures once I return and can get my actual camera out - I'm not sure what the rules say about adding pictures after the Speed Painting time is completed.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Hey, I think I am getting the hang of this oath thing... 3/3 so far... But NOVA is in 28 days? Someone didn't plan appropriately....

I, Zhent, oath... these!

That is 12 Ravenwing Bikes - 5 Ravenwing Command, 7 Ravenwing Black Knights, from Games Workshop. There is one model primed white, and all the bikes are primed black.

The other models that I have to paint - because some of them have some slight paint on them in places, they don't qualify for the Oath per se, but since they all have to be done by August 28, I took a picture anyways...

24 models. 28 days. While planning a wedding. No problem.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Zhent posted:

Hey, I think I am getting the hang of this oath thing... 3/3 so far... But NOVA is in 28 days? Someone didn't plan appropriately....

I, Zhent, oath... these!

That is 12 Ravenwing Bikes - 5 Ravenwing Command, 7 Ravenwing Black Knights, from Games Workshop. There is one model primed white, and all the bikes are primed black.

The other models that I have to paint - because some of them have some slight paint on them in places, they don't qualify for the Oath per se, but since they all have to be done by August 28, I took a picture anyways...

24 models. 28 days. While planning a wedding. No problem.

While I leave for NOVA in 10 hours with 3 unpainted models, I can declare this Oath Complete

The Jurnal is claimed with the dirt / grime on the bikes treads - in some cases it does come up the side of the model as well, where I tried to model some more dirt.

Also, while I do not want to clog down this thread overly much with non-oath related photos, I feel like this has enough Oath-related material in it to count.

Ravenwing Army Complete

I am constantly amazed at the level of painting almost everyone in this thread seems to be able to achieve. It seems like every time I refresh the page there is someone else posting an incredible mini. However, this is the first army I have ever painted to [almost] completion - it's missing 3 models at this point, and one of those I intentionally left primed for the seminars I am attending this weekend. I'm proud as hell of my progress - every model in that picture was either a part of an Oath or a test for an Oath. Hopefully I can keep it up through the rest of the year and pick up some more tips from this and the 40k thread. Thanks!

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Zhent posted:

Oath post

I did not mention when I posted my complete that I would also like to qualify for the themed group and box art bonuses. I am unable to post another picture from here to show the box art, since we are at the convention until Monday, but the command set are painted as the Ravenwing Command characters from Games Workshop.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

I, Zhent, oath one Games Workshop Warhammer 40,000 Overpriced Librarian

Primed whiteish, head on pole for painting ease. Nevermind the blue spot.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Irving Washington

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Zhent, Oath Complete

Just the single guy this month, but I put some more effort into him and he came out pretty well.

Freehand on the book above his head and the scroll behind the eagle on his back to claim the Detektuv's Jurnal

Zhent fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 28, 2013

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

I, Zhent, oath this single miniature from Studio McVey

It doesn't tie in to any game system, but I plan on using it for Warhammer 40k. The actual model is here:

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Thanks! I'm trying to decide what to bring with me to paint because I can't bring my airbrush - the worst thing would be not having a particular color of paint and having to stop everything...so bringing a huge box of 100+ bottles of paint and all my brushes and tools is normal, right? ...right?

Just wait till you have to plan a honeymoon and need to decide if it is worth bringing anything hobby related. It's a tough call. I went with no, and am regretting it already as we now have a 5 hour delay in the airport :getin:

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Last month I failed; krushgroove, word of advice. Don't oath something the month you get married in. :)

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

I, Zhent, oath 5 Sons of Horus and 1 Rhino, from Games Workshop (Forgeworld)

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Zhent posted:

I, Zhent, oath 5 Sons of Horus and 1 Rhino, from Games Workshop (Forgeworld)

Oath Complete albeit with emergency lovely phone photos because my camera is frozen for some reason:

If my camera sorts itself out I will update with some better photos. I'm pretty happy with the way these guys turned out, with the weathering and all.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

I Oath this Games Workshop Landspeeder

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

You are missing the world time server in your photo. Please take another one with the time server. It's OK if your minis are already partially painted.

I knew there was a reason I didn't normally take these photos with my phone, but I couldn't remember what it was... that was it. Hopefully this works, it's hard to take a picture of the iPad screen that isn't fuzzy and shows the model.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Oath Complete

I tried NMM. It didn't work. I think I'm going to have to paint over it more traditionally at some point in the future.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

I, Zhent, oath these 5 models for January:

Lady Justice, the Scales of Justice, and 3 Death Marshalls from Malifaux [Wyrd Miniatures].

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Zhent posted:

I, Zhent, oath these 5 models for January:

Lady Justice, the Scales of Justice, and 3 Death Marshalls from Malifaux [Wyrd Miniatures].

OATH FAILED

The house hunt that I expected to take weeks doing ended at the fifth house we walked into, and that promptly sucked up the rest of my months free time. On the plus side, now I will have plenty of space for all the mini's that I fail to paint :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Krushgroove, I PM'd you but your inbox may be full - I received a second set of S&P brushes a week or two back. Just want to make sure someone isn't missing out!

• Locked thread