Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
:siren: I, TheBlobThing, oath to paint 3 Death Korps of Krieg platoon command squad guardsmen for the month of May! :siren:
Edit: My models are from the Forgeworld branch of Games Workshop!

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Say I wanted to oath my new Zuzzy mat, how would that be covered by the rules? Would it count as a piece of large terrain, or should I just keep it out of the oath thread altogether?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

JoshTheStampede posted:

How big is it? If it's at least a skirmish sized mat I would assume it's big enough to count.

Full size 6' by 4'.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

Saw this when I was reading on my phone but forgot to answer it earlier. I would say it definitely meets the minimum size requirement for any scale! I wasn't aware the Zuzzy mats can be painted, but if you wanna go for it, go on and do it.

Thanks for the reply, but I've gone ahead and painted it without oathing it. I figure playing on a painted Zuzzy mat would be enough incentive to get it painted, and seeing as I wouldn't get any points for adding to my oat, this is sort of a "side project."

Holy poo poo it takes a long time! Maybe I should get a sable brush sized "living room" for this.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Black_Nexus posted:

I'd use a actual paint brush, like one you would paint a house with. That's what we did, I wouldn't use anything smaller than a tank brush. It took forever even with big brushes.

Yeah, I actually bought one which is almost 2 inches wide. Like you said, it still takes forever. Also, I used an entire can of Vallejo dipping sized black wash, and only covered 3/4 of it.

To not make this post a complete derail of oath-related stuff, I quasi-oath to post my completed real oath on my finished Zuzzy mat.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
:siren:Oath complete!:siren:

Bonuses: Parts list and Double the fun! because I did the Detectuv's Jurnal: WIP pics.

Edited in some better shots, because my original ones were a bit dark.

WIP shots!
Basecoats nearly done.

Done some shading and a little bit of highlighting.

Finishing up the bases and the brass details. Still need to do a little highlighting.

Parts list:
    Games Workshop
  • Citadel 40K basing kit
  • Chaos Black spray
  • Sycorax Bronze
  • Leadbelcher
  • Ironbreaker
  • Agrax Earthshade
  • Nuln Oil
  • Seraphim Sepia
  • Druchii Violet
  • Guilliman Blue

Vallejo
  • Black
  • German Grey
  • Grey Green
  • Light Grey
  • French Mirage Blue
  • Pastel Blue
  • Field Blue
  • Saddle Brown
  • Cavalry Brown
  • German Camo. Beige
  • Russian Uniform WWII
  • Matt Varnish
  • Rough Pumice

Edit 2: Quoting my original oath because I vaguely remember something about someone saying it was helpful for the judges. Not sure if I remember correctly, but here it is:

TheBlobThing posted:

:siren: I, TheBlobThing, oath to paint 3 Death Korps of Krieg platoon command squad guardsmen for the month of May! :siren:
Edit: My models are from the Forgeworld branch of Games Workshop!

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 27, 2013

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Frantz posted:

OATH COMPLETE

-snip-

I'm not really happy with these, partly because they were rushed here at the end, but mostly because they are supposed to be plaugemarines, and they aren't the least bit plaugie (is that a thing?). Ah, well, there are certainly more where they came from, so no reason to give up yet ;)

For easy reference, thats: Aww, a baby!, Detektuv's Journal, Parts List and Double the Fun

It's the "Hvidbalance" option you need for your camera phone, mate! That'll correct for the yellow lighting and at least make the pictures bearable to look at (as far as that is possible with lovely phone cameras). Also, what happened to the chipping you promised to do on the autocannons? :v: Other than that, pretty sweet work considering you started painting in December.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Many cameras also refer to this as "white balance".

Not on his phone camera. But that is true, for all of you non-Danish goons out there: the setting is called "white balance" in English. Sorry if I confused any of you. :v:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
:siren:I, TheBlobThing, being of pretty drat unsound mind, oath to paint the following::siren:

A fire-team of Death Korps of Krieg from Forgeworld and 2 gangers from House Escher from Games Workshop, for Necromunda.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the Necromunda gangers, as I didn't even paint a test model before I began. Oh well, I might as well bumble through it.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Is paint chipping enough to qualify as battle damage?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
How awesome! I won something! :dance:

How do I go about claiming my prize krushgroove?

Also congratulations to the winners.

EDIT: To celebrate I found a Necromunda van Saar ganger I painted up when I was 12 or something.

:pwn:

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 6, 2013

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Well, I might as well preemptively declare my oath failed!

Having spent the first half of the month on exams, and the last half of the month on work, I didn't really stand a chance of painting my (apparently) wildly optimistic oath of 7 whole models.
Also, I should come to accept the fact that oathing doesn't fit my style of painting. I'm a total scatterbrain and need the freedom to paint half a model, leave it for a couple of weeks/months, and go paint some of my half-finished models from 3 months back. Also, I paint very slowly. So next month I'll probably oath the minimum amount of models just to keep oathing in order to keep track of the other oathers' fine work.

Also, Pierre that board is awesome!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Well, after my shameful oath-breaking I'm back with a more modest oath. I have 3 of the same Necromunda juves, so I'm hacking one of them up to create some variety.

I, TheBlobThing, oath to paint this 1 Necromunda Escher juve from GW!

2 images with and without flash, so you can see both the model and the timestamp.

Edit: On second thought, I edited out the second photo because you can very clearly see the timestamp, and I don't want to clutter up the thread.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 1, 2013

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

TheBlobThing posted:

Well, after my shameful oath-breaking I'm back with a more modest oath. I have 3 of the same Necromunda juves, so I'm hacking one of them up to create some variety.

2 images with and without flash, so you can see both the model and the timestamp.

Edit: On second thought, I edited out the second photo because you can very clearly see the timestamp, and I don't want to clutter up the thread.

So here is my progress. I swapped out her Stub gun for a bolt/auto pistol, and cut off the axehead from her close combat weapon, so she only wields a pipe.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

^^^ This is how you do it, folks! Perfection!

Well thank you. Good to see those 4 years (and counting) of university is coming to good use. :smuggo:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I, TheBlobThing, with my head bowed in shame, enter the lottery for the unknown oathbreaker avatar. May god have mercy on my soul, for the oath thread shan't.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lovestick posted:

Look at this sad, horrible model. It was the worst one I could find in my collection not to mention it is pretty awful in the game. I aim to take all of the horrible, oathbreaking tendencies inside of me and banish it into this vile plastic phylactery. As punishment for being an Oathbreaker, I will need your help in coming up with a suitable paint scheme once I finish cutting him up and sticking him back together. In addition, I'll play him in an upcoming campaign to remind me to keep painting.

Paint every tile on his silly body a different vibrant colour! You can't bring him to a game without causing severe headaches and nausea.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Rahotep75 posted:

I'm an oathbreaker as well, but it looks like I got missed in this post...

In an attempt to save my honor I will also throw my name in for the Oathbreaker Avatar Deathmatch.

Ahem, it distinctly said 24 hours after the oathbreaker post.

Yes I know I'm petty, but I want my avatar dammit!
:colbert:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

This is true, and the drawing has already been made winner of the deathmatch has been decided. Everyone will find out who won when someone gets a new avatar! (the winner has to post in the thread)

:f5:

By the way krush, I don't remember if I got back to you about it, but I got the monthly prize you sent me, and I'll probably oath them for the thread. Thanks.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

IrvingWashington posted:

I don't think anyone really loses out if you have more stuff to paint, even if it takes a while

Yup, I said it in the painting thread, and now I'm going to say it here too (albeit in a less creepy way. Sorry about that, I didn't really mean it when I said I wanted to have your baby, it was just a convoluted plan to steal your talent :v: ), I friggin' love your work! I'm actually starting to become a Onetrubru-fan, getting all excited when I see you've posted.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Oath complete!

That'll net me detektuv's journal for the month for her bolt pistol (which is actually an autopistol, it just looks like a bolt pistol :colbert: ) and pipe.

TheBlobThing posted:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Ok, how did this work again. Oh, right:
I, TheBlobThing, oath to paint these 10 skeleton warriors from Games Workshop in the month of August!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Oath Completed!

Who would have thought painting Warhammer Fantasy would be so much more suitable for oathing minis each month?

Detektuv's jurnal
The verdigris on the bronze shields:

The rust on the iron parts. There are more, I just picked out the most visible because I'm using a crappy cell phone camera.

So that's Detektuv's jurnal and Themed group I believe. Dunno if I missed some.

Edit: Forgot to at least use the macro function on my crappy cell phone cam. Switched out the main photo.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 16, 2013

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
:siren:I, TheBlobThing, oath these 15 Grave Guard (from GW) including full command (champion, musician and standard bearer) plus the movement tray they are standing, for the month of September.:siren:

Models.

Timestamp.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
And me?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm probably setting myself up for a bit of a catastrophe here, but:
:catdrugs:Oath addition!:catdrugs:
I, TheBlobThing, oath to paint these 3 Death Korps of Krieg Autocannon teams from Forgeworld (GW) for the month of September, in addition to the 15 Grave Guard I oathed earlier.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Progress on my oath:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
poo poo. I've been making pretty good headway on the Grave Guard I oathed. They're all basecoated and I'm shading them right now. Unfortunately I found one little sucker tucked away among the zombies which I've somehow overlooked. :(

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
:siren:Oath complete!:siren:

No Detektuv's jurnal. I can't freehand worth poo poo, so I have to pass on this month.

Edit: :catdrugs: I just found an old camera lying on a shelf somewhere. It's not very good, but infinitely better than my lovely phone cam!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
This amnesty is just what I've been waiting for!

I, TheBlobThing, oath the following minis:
1 Company Commander.
1 Company Master.
3 Kriegsmen. These are an attempt at saving da whales from my oath from June.
2 Tactical Marines.
1 Escher Necromunda gang leader.
10 Grave Guard.
10 Skeleton Warriors.

All from GW or Forgeworld.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
You might have missed my oath, since you accepted Kommando's, which is after mine.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

TheBlobThing posted:

1 Company Commander.
1 Company Master.
2 Tactical Marines.
10 Grave Guard.
10 Skeleton Warriors.

I'm not sure I did this right. I only oathed 3 of my guys from my oath from June: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&userid=184809#post416028238

Can I Save da whales with only a part of my failed oath? I've since finished the gangers, but all the Kriegsmen are still WIP.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Oh. I should have looked more closely. Yeah, you need to complete the entire failed oath, to qualify for Whales. But it's fine to do some models this month or whatever, and then eventually (any time before April) oath the incomplete oath and then finish it. Although by the spirit of Whales, getting them all done at once is probably the best way to redeem your honor!

Oh ok. Well, important thing is I get some models painted. I must partly redeem my honour by the sheer number of models oathed this month, and take consolation in the fact that I get a lot of other poo poo done. That DV Company Master has stood half/painted on my shelf since last November.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
In that case I better get some more models in. Hurray unemployment.

I, TheBlobThing, hereby add these 2 Kriegsmen (Forgeworld, GW) to my oath for October.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Unless I'm off by 24 hours, I'm afraid you're several hours past the deadline.

Point awarded!

What? Oh goddamn it!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

Sorry, no amnesty for that! You can always oath it next month if it's still one color.

Deadlines are midnight GMT, so 1 AM UK time this morning was the cutoff - and we'll have to be aware that this will change after the autumn time change coming up soon.

Nah, they have red pants. It took me a long time to discover the option to set timestamps to my own timezone, so for a long time they had to be translated from some weird American moon-time, so I just thought 'hey, cutoff time is soon, better oath some more' :v:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm painting up my last model right now (and the base on my second-to-last model), and I was just wondering: can I claim last month's jurnal this month in addition to this month's jurnal?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

enri posted:

Not a judge but going to butt in here:

You can do it just for shits and giggles, but you'll only get 2 points for this months Jurnal. Not 2 points for this months jurnal AND 1 point for last months jurnal.

If you haven't already claimed the 'double the something or other' one off bonus point, then two jurnal entries would be valid for that for 1 point in addition to your 2 points from this months jurnal.

Thanks for the input. I'll just go for the double bonus, since I kind of ended up with both jurnals on my last model.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Time advice.

Yeah, good idea. Since I've been confused by time zones once this month already, I've already finished my oath. I'm just waiting for some daylight to photograph the last 2 models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Oath complete!

TheBlobThing posted:

1 Company Commander.
1 Company Master.
2 Tactical Marines.
10 Grave Guard.
10 Skeleton Warriors.

Sorry for the insane picture dump, but this has been a productive month. I've cut down on nearly half my WIP section of my Kanban board, so I really hope you guys give us another chance for amnesty.

Jurnal & double the trouble for her pink hair, and the leopard print on her loincloth (freehand).

Themed groups.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 31, 2013

• Locked thread