Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
I, Deanut Pancer, oath that I will paint these 3x Ork Nobz from GW
I'm new at this, so: Awwww, it's a baby!

(One has been previously painted and stripped, the other two have white primer on them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Oath Complete!

Bonuses: Awwww, a BABY and Parts list and Detectuv’s Jurnal: WIP pics and Double the fun!(see below)

Detectuv’s Jurnal: WIP pics
White primer (Army Painter). I kept the heads on their own for most of the process, to make for easier access to the torso/shoulder areas:

Wash the entire model in Agrax Earthshade (or Devlan Mud if you're oldschool). Black paint on to the base, and Heavy Charcoal on the boots:

Green wash on the skin. Black paint/wash mix for the pants and some other leather areas. Yellow/Blue/Red base coats for clothing. Boltgun base for the metal areas (and then yellow/red on top of the metal for some areas). Picking up muscles/mouth/veins/knuckles skin highlighs with a green/yellow mix. Bone paint for the teeth/claws, followed by brown wash. Grey edge highlighting on the boots:

Painting in the checks on the red guy's axe and shoulder pad. Wash the blue/red/yellow clothing areas with blue/red/sepia washes, and then highlight up with the layers of the lighter colours. Adding details to the metal areas, then a black wash followed by silver drybush, followed by a very thin sepia wash. A second layer of green wash over the skin. Highlighting teeth/claws. White out the eye areas:

Then all that was left was finishing the eyes, doing the base, and varnishing them up.

Parts list:
Most of the paints are shown in the WIP pics, but here's the list

Paints:
Army Painter: Matt white primer spray
GW:
Chaos Black, Mephiston Red, Sunburst Yellow, Teclis Blue, Blazing Orange
Mithril Silver, Boltgun Metal, Dwarf Bronze
Agrax Earthshade, Thraka Green, Badab Black, Drakenhof Nightshade, Carrobourg Crimson, Gryphonne Sepia
Vallejo: Thinner medium, Heavy Charcoal, Cold Grey, Ultramarine Blue
Coat D'arms (I think these used to make the original Citadel paints back in the day): Rat Brown, Bone

Basing:
Army Painter: Battlefields Black Battleground
Javis Countryside Scenic Products: Fine Granite Chippings (I think this is intended for model railways, but it is great for basing)

Varnish:
Vallejo: Gloss varnish
Army Painter: Anti-shine matt varnish spray

(Hopefully I did everything right! Thanks to everyone organising this, and everyone taking part. I'm looking forward to a good year's painting thanks to this thread)

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Hooray, I can say :siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

I oathed one Deathkopta. Here is this bad dude:

So many amazing oaths coming in today! How did you get the textured blue finish on the body of that kopta? It looks great

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Rules question regarding Get Based Out:

The OP rules posted:

...you can submit ANY base you do this season as your Get Based Out entry - you don't need to do a separate base just to qualify. Your Get Based Out entry may be part of any oathed model, however it should be completed as part of a regular oath or an oath addition - NOT as part of an Alternate Universe oath
I have a painted 40k flyer that I did some time back. However I've never bothered to do anything with the oval flying base, but now I'm feeling motivated to do something nice with it. Could I include the base itself in my oath (likely to be some other unrelated models), and use this as my Get Based Out entry, even though I won't be including the actual flyer at all?

vvvv Makes sense, thanks for the clarification!

Deanut Pancer fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 2, 2013

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
What's this :toxx: thing that people have suddenly started using? I wasn't around for last year's thread, so I don't know if it is a :thing: from there or what...

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
I, Deanut Pancer, oath 5 AoBR Ork Boyz (Games Workshop)

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Did you miss me? (or did I miss you?): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3547161&perpage=40&pagenumber=30#post416586955

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Oath Complete!

I've done this month's Detektuv’s Jurnal: Battle Damage, and I'm also submitting a Themed group

These two boyz have got in to a bit of a disagreement, which resulted in someone getting a choppa to the 'ed, costing him an eye.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Quick question about the "number of pictures" rule (which sounds like a sensible idea, if only to avoid sending the organisers crazy!):
Some people like to composite several images together, perhaps adding expanded zoomed-in bits showing off some detail. How would these work for image counts?
I'm asking now just so that we all have agreement on how far to take the presentations, rather than rules-lawyering or anything :)

vvv Edit: MONTAGE! That's the word I was looking for but couldn't remember!

Deanut Pancer fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 2, 2013

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

lovestick posted:

Look at this sad, horrible model. It was the worst one I could find in my collection not to mention it is pretty awful in the game. I aim to take all of the horrible, oathbreaking tendencies inside of me and banish it into this vile plastic phylactery. As punishment for being an Oathbreaker, I will need your help in coming up with a suitable paint scheme once I finish cutting him up and sticking him back together. In addition, I'll play him in an upcoming campaign to remind me to keep painting.

No two adjacent panels may have the same colour

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
I Deanut Pancer, oath this Ork Runt-herd (GW 40k)

I'm planning to do the Jurnal by cutting the left forearm at the elbow, and giving him a Grabbin' Fist to go with his Grabbin' Claw. I shall call him Grabla!

Would this pic count as a valid 'pre-conversion' pic for the jurnal?

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Deanut Pancer posted:

I Deanut Pancer, oath this Ork Runt-herd (GW 40k)

I'm planning to do the Jurnal by cutting the left forearm at the elbow, and giving him a Grabbin' Fist to go with his Grabbin' Claw. I shall call him Grabla!

Would this pic count as a valid 'pre-conversion' pic for the jurnal?

Jurnal: And here is the post-conversion:

The ork arm was cut just above the elbow, the shoulder of the power fist was hollowed out, and the two were joined together

(Reminds me a bit of this guy)

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Oath complete! One GW Runtherd with 'upgrade' :)

I did this month's Detektuv’s Jurnal: Cut And Swap by swapping out the left hand/forearm for a space marine power fist.

I'm also claiming Speed Painting. Here's the before/after pics:

And while I'm at it, have a Backstory!

quote:

Grabla the ork stumbled into the doc's surgery/workshop clutching the remains of his arm, after foolishly trying to retrieve his favourite shock-stikk that had fallen in to the squig pen.

"Doc, you az got to 'elp me!"

The doc took one look at Grabla, and began shaking his head

"Dat looks bad, you iz gonna need a new arm. Luckily I just 'ad a speshul delivery"

The doc walk over to rummage in big metal bin of body parts, pulling out a limp space marine torso. With a quick twist, he snapped off the arm sheathed in a big blue power fist.

"I 'erd this 'ere is as strong as a power klaw. It'll do just da job. Why don't you sit right 'ere and we'll get to work..."

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

krushgroove posted:

We’ll once again use The Bachtere Clause MkII - Anyone who receives first or second place from a judge will only be eligible for points for third place the next month. An oather may receive bonus points from more than one judge during a month.
Quick question about this: Does it apply to all judges as a group, or separately for each judge? Say someone gets 3 points from judge X, does that mean only judge X is unable to award 3/2 points next month, or does it also apply to judge Y and Z as well?

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
I think that you don't need to do that bonus in the same month as the model is actually painted. The only requirement is that it is a model oathed in this season, so you should be able to include the In Battle pics in a later month

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
I, Deanut Pancer, oath this GW Ork Battlewagon:

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Very nicely done. You nailed those lenses.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Oath Complete :siren: One GW Ork Battlewagon

Detektuv’s Jurnal: Weathering This wagon has lived a tough life. Its paint is scratched and peeling, and that mud needs cleaning off

Because it can be configured with either a ram, a deff-rolla, or just as-is, I had to make use of the montage rule to show everything off. Hopefully this fits with the intended spirit/purpose of this rule.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
40K VOTE: So many good entries in that list. I'm going to go base my judgement on my favourite use of the Jurnal theme, so I nominate... Irving Washington
(Nice idea to let the entrants pick the winner from amongst themselves, whoever suggested that)

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
With the release of the new codex, I'm starting a new Space Marine army. I'm genuinely thinking about getting new models, and then doing traditional ultramarines with old school goblin green bases. I shall call them Hipster Marines

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
I, Deanut Pancer, oath 3x GW Ork Deffkoptas:

(The yellow stuff is blu-tac I'm using to mask some bits for glueing, and the green stuff is... greenstuff)

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/) is a free editor that is nice and lightweight but still functional enough for cropping, resizing, rotating, adding text, and all the other stuff you need to do your oath pics.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Damnit Booley, stop being awesome. [Keep up the awesome work, especially that photography]

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Any hints about October for those of us who weren't oathing last year, so we can at least start thinking of ideas?

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Oath Complete! 3x Ork Deffkoptas

Jurnal is the missile decorations

I really didn't enjoy painting these as much as I thought I would. It just didn't seem to be working for me. Until I got to the final bits of highlighting, and did the reflections in the goggles, and suddenly it all came together when I saw their big toothy grins smiling back at me :)
So many amazing entries this month. Everyone should be proud!

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
I, Deanut Pancer, oath this GW WH-Fantasy big squig thing (At least I think that is what it is - it is a really old, very heavy, metal model I found in an old box of stuff - possibly an old Gobbla model?)

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

Jurnal is the pink mushrooms. (It was going to be his tail, but I didn't like how it looked)
The small spiky mushroom is actually the tip of a spear. The two larger ones are greenstuff on toothpicks
nomnomnom

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Yet again its great to see another month's worth of work coming in from everyone. Good stuff!

Leperflesh posted:

Ok one more thing.
:siren:HEY EVERYONE:siren:
The deadline is tomorrow! And time zones and daylight savings time and poo poo is weird. In the UK, they've already fallen back for the fall, but we don't fall back here in the US till this weekend. Some countries are on the UK scheme and some the US scheme. Don't miss the deadline by an hour! That would suck.

Here are the deadlines in the OP:

...but, this month only, some of these times are wrong. The single point-of-truth is the time in the UK. I suggest using a time zone viewer like this one to make sure you're not late, but an even better plan is to just plan to finish up early. It's Halloween, anyway, you should be handing out double-ended paintbrushes to trick-or-treaters, not stuck in your basement frantically trying to get the basing done on your space marine.
Hmmm. In the OP:

quote:

Make sure you are posting before the end of the calendar month - remember we’re using GMT this time!
GMT never changes (I know because I live in a country that is GMT all year around, and it beats living back in the UK when I get screwed up twice a year!) So nothing should have changed for anyone who isn't in the UK (unless their own time has changed relative to GMT).

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
^^^ fantastic! I love the pink-ribbon-and-a-bird-on-his-head guy, I can almost hear his terrible singing just from the pics :)

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I used the Vallejo Model Color pink (the exact name escapes me right now; it might be just "Pink"); it's medium- to light-pink, but very pigment-rich and does good coverage. On my Jurnal model, I was able to get decent highlights & shadows on it using PPP Ryn Flesh and Reaper Red Ink.

Summary: VMC Pink may have limited uses, but it's worth picking up, especially if you have, say, a Chaos Helbrute sitting on my desk around waiting to be painted.

Vallejo GC Squid Pink was my weapon of choice for this month. I probably didn't need to buy a bottle just for three little mushrooms, but I'm sure I'll find a use for the rest of it someday.
Come to think of it, I'm starting a new marine army and haven't decided on a colour scheme for it yet...

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

:frogsiren:PRIZES:frogsiren:

Monthly prizes:

A pack of Springer-Pinsel Kolinksy Sable Brushes goes to: Deanut Pancer!
Congratulations to all the prize winners! Corvus Belli/Infinity winners, contact me via email (my email at gmail.com), everyone else contact krushgroove!
Fantastic! mail sent to krushgroove

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
:siren: Deanut Pancer oaths these 5 space marines

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
:siren:November Oath Complete!

Jurnal is the cropped hair on the captain.

I think this also qualifies for Themed Group.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
I, Deanut Pancer, oath 1 40k Ork Nob

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
:siren: Oath Complete!
Jurnal: NMM on the slugga, power-klaw and helmet
Bonus: Speed painting (see last image)

Speed painting before/after:

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

You already have a point for Speed Painting, from July, so I can't give you another, sorry. It's still OK to speed paint stuff of course, there's just no additional points for doing so.

haha oh yeah so I did! That was almost half a year ago, my memory sucks. I guess I need to pay more attention to which bonuses I haven't done yet :)

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Monthly prizes:

An item chosen from several lots of game stuff from The Troll Trader goes to: Deanut Pancer!
Yay thanks!

Leperflesh posted:

Special November Warhammer 40k prize!
There's a special prize, sponsored by goon Vondizimo, to be voted on by those of you who painted a warhammer 40k Oath in November. Here are the eligible goons who finished 40k oaths:

Vote: Mmtheblue for the wreck markers and goatee vox guy

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Thanks for understanding :) I hope everyone else does too
No. This is unacceptable. I demand a refund of my entry fees.
Ohwait, this is a free contest run by volunteers out of the goodness of their hearts. Very well, keep up the good work! :)

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
quotin' for a new page

enri posted:

:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Jurnal entry is the armour on the last one, which turned out really poo poo :(
1 x 'Dynamic Tiriel' from Hasslefree Miniatures - this is my jurnal entry

edit: now that's out of the way, I can chill out for the rest of the month and not worry about painting until January :v:
It might just be a flattering photo, but I really like the way that armour turned out.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
40k vote: If IrvingWashington's necron entry is eligible, then I vote for that, because Chrome otherwise I nominate TheBlobThing's vox guy for the wonderfuly balanced OSL
I hope that is OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
I oath these 5 models from the Corporation Starter Set for Miniwargaming's Dark Potential

• Locked thread