Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I JesusIsTehCool, as my first oath ever, oath to paint 10 Games Workshop Assault Marines and 1 Privateer Press Hoarluk Doomshaper, Rage of Dhunia for the month of May

The jump packs are not GW, I bought them off some guy on ebay cause I thought they looked cool

Edit: Just saw the part about no body parts in the pics hope this works better

JesusIsTehCool fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Oath Completed! and its an Awww Baby's First Oath
First up we have the 10 Assault Marines

One the table

Close up on Brother Sergeant Vigilius

Next we have Hoarluk DoomShaper, Rage of Dhunia

A shot from behind

Detektuv's Jurnal

Assault Marines:

After their first wash

Some work on their packs

After some metal paint went on

almost finished

Hoarluk DoomShaper:

After some base coating

Some work on the scrolls

A little more work

Almost complete

One Time Bonus: Back Story
Sorry in advance for the wall of text, sort of didn't realize how long this was till after I wrote it. Also excuse my horrible Space Marine fan fiction, but at least I tried right?

The cold emotionless face of the Necron Overlord was unsettling, he was still as a statue as the frantic battle played out around him. Lord Librarian Zephyrinus had but only a moment to reflect on this creature before the blade of a Necron warrior demanded his full attention. They were crude fighters which lacked any of the finesse and grace of a Space Marine, but what they lacked in skill the made up for in sheer numbers. It seemed to Zephyrinus that for each one he slew two would crawl out of the nearby Ghost Arks.

Bright red blood splattered all over Zephyrinus’s blue power armor, the Necron Lord had struck a new pose, his twisted sword glowed as it dripped blood on a fallen Dark Angel. The Lord couldn’t know what that sword truly was, he most likely wielded it because it was heavy and well balanced, he knew nothing of its true power. Forged on the corrupted planet of Caliban and caste into the warp when the planet torn apart, this sword was a tool of Chaos and in the right hands could spell destruction for billions. Zephyrinus had come to retrieve the weapon, to keep it from ever reaching those hands, and also to protect the terrible secret it was evidence too.

“Master Zephyrinus, we must retreat. We cannot hold against their numbers!” Brother Clement was right of course, there was no chance for them to hold, but they could not retreat. There was nowhere to retreat to. The Necrons had somehow jammed their Vox and there was no way to call for reinforcements or a ship to evacuate them. They were all alone and they were going to die.

Zephyrinus was unusually comfortable with this realization. As he saw it death in battle was the logical and fitting end to his life. He was created to fight and die for the Emperor and there was something beautiful in the culmination of his creator’s intent. While his training kept his body fighting furiously his mind anxiously waited for its climax, and the peace that death brought with it.
He was almost deafened by the sound of an explosion, two more quickly followed. Zephyrinus instantly recognized the familiar sound of melta bombs detonating. He looked up to see smoke and ruin where only seconds ago Ghost Arks pumped out warriors. Parting the smoke and flames green figures flew towards the brutal melee.

Zephyrinus knew it was the Seraphim from the sound of their jet packs, which were older, louder, and according to brother sergeant Vigilius superior in every way to the newer models. The first of the flying Space Marines crashed to the ground destroying a Necron Warrior with the force of the impact and then instantly sprung into battle. The Seraphim were known for their ferocity in melee combat and they were living up to their reputation. Dozens of Necron Warriors had already fallen, some ripped apart by the Seraphim’s chain swords while others were effortless shot with bolt pistols. At this rate the Seraphim would quickly over run the Necron force. “Brother Clement, you better regroup your men and push the attack, unless you want Vigilius to claim all the glory.”

As the Space Marine sergeant bark out orders Librarian Zephyrinus sighed, cleared his mind, and began to use his psykic powers on his men, empowering their minds to strike more accurately. He scanned the battle field looking for the statuesque Necron Overlord but instead of finding a still robotic man he saw the Overlord engaged in heated battle with Vigilius.

Brother Sergeant Vigilius leader of the Seraphim was a difficult man to lead. He, along with his unit, had been extremely decorated before joining the Conclave. All Dark Angels had heard stories of their heroics and bravery, and their fame was not limited to just their chapter. All over the Imperium of Man people were familiar with the Dark Angel’s Seraphim assault unit and their record of excellence in battle. Vigilius had enjoyed his reputation and the accolades he had earned. Now he and his unit, like all members of the Conclave, were dead to the rest of the world. No one would sing songs of their victories, paint murals of their battles, or write histories of their deeds; no one writes of the deeds of the dead. Although Vigilius’s honor and loyalty to the Emperor prevented him from ever being insubordinate he saw his transfer to the Conclave as an underserved punishment for surviving impossible odds. Zephyrinus would find no brotherly bond or war hardened friendship with Vigilius, only distain. But Zephyrinus didn’t need a friend, he needed a killer, and Vigilius and the Seraphim were excellent killers.

Zephyrinus approached Vigilius and the Overlord cautiously; he did not want to intrude on their duel unless it was absolutely necessary. The Necron Overlord struck first swinging his twisted metal sword at Vigilius so powerfully that if he landed a blow even Vigilius’s power armor would not withstand it. Fortunately Vigilius was able to avoid the deadly blade, he ducked and in one fluid motion he brought his power axe smashing into the chest of the Overlord. The blow, which would have killed even a space marine, merely fazed the powerful metal body of the Necron leader sending him reeling back.
As the Overlord stepped back he released something bug like from his cloak. The insect like device left the Overlord’s hand, sprouted wings, and flew towards Vigilius’s face. In the heat of the fight Vigilius’s focus was completely on his opponent and he didn’t even see the probe coming for him. The scarab flew directly into Vigilius’s ear and began to bore into his brain. Zephyrinus had seen such a trick before from the Necrons and knew that it would try to control Vigilius’s mind to make him attack himself rather than the Necron Lord. Zephyrinus concentrated and bolstered Sergeant Vigilius mental fortitude with his psycer powers in hopes to foil the Necron’s trap. Zephyrinus was apparently successful as Vigilius continued to fight as if nothing had happened.

Vigilius shot his pistol quickly at the Overlord who quickly stepped out of the way on the incoming bullets. This, however, was exactly what Vigilius had hoped for. He had already begun giving power to his jet pack when he had fired his weapon preparing to make a rocket propelled charge towards the location he was expecting the Lord to end up. In a flash Vigilius was flying through the air axe first, he made contact with the Necron Overlord which brought both the Necron Overlord and Vigilius crashing the ground.

Zephyrinus ran towards the collision to find Sergeant Vigilius coughing next to the decapitated Necron Leader. “Well done brother, I believe we own you our lives today.” Zephyrinus said as he offered to help Vigilius off the ground. Vigilius ignored the gustier and pulled himself up. “Just doing my duty master Zephyrinus.”

No sooner had Vigilius got up than the hand of the Necron Lord sprang to life, grabbed Vigulis’s leg crushing the muscles and bones inside. The other arm flailed the demonic weapon threatening to remove the leg outright. Zephyrinus heard as shot from behind him and saw the Necron Lord’s hand explode sending the sword flying and returning the Lord’s body to lifelessness. Zephyrinus turned to see brother Clement, plasma pistol in hand, smiling. “I couldn’t let brother Vigilius be the only one to save our skin today.”

The three Space Marines looked around the battlefield. The fighting had ended, hundreds of robotic men lay on the ground with but a dozen fallen Space Marines. Zephyrinus pulled out a strange device, activated it. It surrounded the twisted demonic sword the Necron Lord had carried. “Well men” Zephyrinus said exhaustively while picking up the weapon “what do you say we get off this planet and get some rest?”

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I JesusIsTehCool Oath this Games Workshop Vindicator for the month of June!

While I normally am not the biggest fan of battle damage I will give it a shot! Time to bust of some drill bits and hope I don't cut myself wounding my tank.

I am wondering is it possible to "theme" this vehicle with the Assault Marines from my last oath or am I out of luck for getting in on those bimonthly points?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

ineptmule posted:

Yeah, we thought about this in planning the thread and I'm afraid that I think it would be a nightmare to keep track of adding to themed groups across separate months.

But I guess, as Krushgroove said, if people always quote their first oath of a group along with the second part then it should be possible.

The principal aims of the theme prize are to get people painting more than the minimum oath as well as getting armies/squads/gangs/teams painted, and keeping those in mind I'm tempted to allow it.

I believe I made the opposite call in the first month, though, so somebody might have changed what they planned to do as a result. If anybody feels that way I apologise!

I don't want to make anyone bend the rules or get an unfair advantage in the draws or anything. I thought I would just ask as my assault marines would have fit into that category and I didn't realize that until it was too late. This month I had my heart set on the tank because its been unpainted for far to long and works well with the journal.

Thanks for clearing it up, I guess I will just have to kick butt on this tank and leave time to get a few Space Marines in there to get the points.

JesusIsTehCool fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 5, 2013

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Grey Hunter posted:

I am also claiming the Sins of my youth bonus, this is made up personal thing that gains me 0 points, but 100 self esteem points. These are from my childhood, I was about ten when I painted these the first time, and I need to atone for this. Luckily, I'm a packrat, and found a load of arms and weapons that go with these guys.

I've added a Canadan weapon team to bulk up the squad, as it seems GW moved from British 8 men sections to the US style 10 man squad - most likely to sell 2 extra models. If you thought the paint scheme on the last lot was bad, look what pre-teen me did to these guys.....

I have no idea what kind of planet these morons came from that that would be considered acceptable camouflage.

If I had a 10 year old I think I would be pretty proud if they were able to paint a group of guys as well as the first picture. That being said I am pretty sure I would have their vision tested if they painted the second. I say save at least a few guys from your childhood just the way they are.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I JesusIsTehCool Oath this Games Workshop Vindicator for the month of June!

I JesusIsTehCool am making an Oath addition of two Games Workshop Rhinos and will attempt to lay claim to A Painted Theme of Dark Angle Battled Damaged Vehicles!

So I am almost done with my Vindicator so I thought I would take try two more vehicles, just hope this doesn't turn me into an oath breaker :ohdear:

If anyone has any suggestions for me on my vindicator they would be most appreciated.

I tried pre and post shading it with an airbrush, I liked the way it turned out, but I was worried it was to dull. After exploring some options I tried to put some decals on and I have struggles to get them seamless, but I am pretty sure with a little more work they will get acceptable.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Sole.Sushi posted:

Accepted. Be careful with that dimly-lit triangle though.

Sorry if I missed something but what are you referring to? Are you talking about the flash reflection off the screen?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Oh wow, I was didn't notice the underlined typo. Now I feel like an idiot...

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I have a question about the Box Art bonus. Can the original art come from a Games Workshop codex? A lot of the space marine stuff is default Ultramarines on the box but there are lots of pictures and examples of other chapters in their respective codex. I am also wondering how exact the models have to match in order to qualify for the bonus points (this has to do more with me unsure if I can reproduce the quality level and less to do with not trying to follow the scheme). I am asking because I am thinking of doing a group of Tactical Spacemarines next month and want to do them in traditional Dark Angel colors but that is not what comes on the box nor is it on the website.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Those are veterans though, which are completely different models. Normal tac marines don't get those spiffy robes. I mean its not really a big deal, but it will determine whether I do space mans or trolls for next months oath.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Oath Completed!

I lay claim to both Detektuv’s Jurnal: Battle Damage as well as a Themed Group of Dark Angels Vehicles

Here are some additional photos

I really had trouble with those decals. I followed the instructions that I got form GW and first did hardcoat then the decal then lahmian medium, but that left them terrible looking. I tried to mess with them but was never able to get them perfect. Maybe someone has a guide they could point me at as I have always been interested in doing custom decals but am always discouraged on the idea after messing with GW decals.

So this came really close to happening:

I like to think is some alternate universe I went through with it and it turned out awesome.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So since I normally prime my models after they are put together would it be unacceptable if in the first picture if the parts weren't all one color so long as in the second picture they are? I have a lot of old models and bitz I got from eBay so if I do the journal it will most certainly be trying to make a monster mash out of one of those.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I JesusIsTehCool oath to turn this pile of Games Workshop bits into a Tech Marine on a bike as my BEFORE picture for the month of July's journal.

not sure if I will need the plastic card the models are on top of but included it just in case

Here is a slightly clearer picture of the bits:

I will be cutting and repositioning the legs to fit on the bike, replacing the left arm with the clamp, and removing the 'bulbs' on the backpack and swapping them with the servo arms. I hope this qualifies for what you had in mind for the journal. Also could this count as my conversion if I wanted it to?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I JesusIsTehCool summit this AFTER photo for approval of my oathed Tech Marine

Original Post

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I JesusIsTehCool oath to turn this pile of Games Workshop bits into a Tech Marine on a bike as my BEFORE picture for the month of July's journal.

not sure if I will need the plastic card the models are on top of but included it just in case

Here is a slightly clearer picture of the bits:

I will be cutting and repositioning the legs to fit on the bike, replacing the left arm with the clamp, and removing the 'bulbs' on the backpack and swapping them with the servo arms. I hope this qualifies for what you had in mind for the journal. Also could this count as my conversion if I wanted it to?

Close up of the changes:

legs bent back more to better fit bike

left hand is now a clamp

backpack has servo arms attached

I know my before hasn't be approved yet but yesterday and today were the days I had time to work on stuff so if there was an issue I will just do something else later in the month.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Oath Completed

I would like to claim Cut and Swap Journal as well as In Battle! with these photos.

Both my Vindicator and the Techmarine on the field!

Assault Marines about to get owned by a Ripetide

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I JesusIsTehCool summit this AFTER photo for approval of my oathed Tech Marine

Original Post

Close up of the changes:

legs bent back more to better fit bike

left hand is now a clamp

backpack has servo arms attached

I know my before hasn't be approved yet but yesterday and today were the days I had time to work on stuff so if there was an issue I will just do something else later in the month.

Not my best work but I am having a busy month. Hopefully August will bring with it more hobby time.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
If I had to guess I would say that it is a 40k Grey Knight inquisitor unit.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Does weathering just mean rust and mud, or could I include scorch marks? I am thinking about stripping and completely repainting a drop pod. Not really keen on the idea of a rust/dirty pod, but there being scorch marks from the jets and such sounds pretty cool to me.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I GET TO PICK, wow how lucky of me!

Is it just one brush from Games and Gear, or is it one of their sets? The only review I could find on google gave them a decent rating, anyone else use and like those brushes? I am leaning towards the brush(es) as I think I am ready to start investing in higher quality brushes, but I honestly know almost nothing about these brushes. Someone help me deiced!

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I JesusIsTehCool oath for the month of August this Games Workshop Drop Pod

If it doesn't look 100% the same color I apologize. This is a used model and it was painted a bright red, which was pretty hard to cover up. My air brush started acting up to, so I wasn't able to give it the full treatment I wanted to. Hopefully this is acceptable.

I am aiming for something kind of like this:

but maybe with the other recessed parts white to, but suggestions on how I should go about this is welcomed, maybe I will post in the painting and modeling thread for advice too.

If there is time I will do my other drop pod this month to, but hopefully I will be moving so I won't have time.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Sole.Sushi posted:

What's up with that blur that's going on there?

Unsure, maybe its from the flash? Here is another picture, if you want I can add it to my original oath post.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So I am wondering if you can cancel an oath before its been approved? I submitted my oath about a week and a half ago, it had a blur in the picture it so it wasn't approved. I took another photo and have been waiting for it to be approved and make sure everything is cool before I start working on it. It is getting to the point where I am not sure if I will have enough time to get it done because I am moving in a few days. Unless I get the thumbs up to start working on it soon I am not sure I will be able to fulfill my Oath.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

krushgroove posted:

You don't have to wait for approval to get started painting - Sole.Sushi isn't able to come into the thread every day, so just crack on :)

Alright thanks.

Not to be a jerk or anything but whats the point of getting the models approved then at all? Lets assume I didn't wait and just starting working on my drop pod after posting the picture and Sole.Sushi had an issue with it. Would I have to start all over? Would no one care? Like I said I don't want to come off as a jerk but if the approval doesn't mean anything why even hassle all this stuff?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Sole.Sushi posted:

Not the first time this question has been asked in this thread, nor is it the first time that I'm answering it, but I can't blame you for not wanting to dig through the pages for a specific thing; basically, all that the "accepted" posts means is that I have recognized that you took a photo for some bonus points for the month and have followed all the guidelines set forth; if you don't want to do an AP photo, you don't have to. If you want to oath something that is already half way done, go for it. But, if you follow the guidelines and get bonus points, then even better!
Doing or not doing an AP photo does not exclude you from participating. If I find something wrong with it, I'll ask you about what's going on (like the blur, for example); This doesn't mean to stop working. In the history of doing this for the Oath Thread, I haven't asked a single person to strip down a model and start over, nor will I ever do so. The guidelines are fast, and I'm not going to get soft on those, but I'm not going to be a jerk. Painting takes a lot of effort, and I recognize that. Worst case scenario is that I ask you to retake your AP photo, but whatever progress you made is fine.
Having said that, all requirements for a successful AP photo must be initially observed when putting it up. Whatever happens beyond that point (if I ask for a clearer photo or just a reshoot for one of a dozen reasons), is pretty much at my discretion; and I'm not ever going to ask you to start over.

TL;DR: this post isn't aimed directly at you, but everyone--AP Photos are for Bonus Points if you follow the guidelines in the OP: After you put your photo up, do not cease working while you wait for my approval.

Wow I must have misread something or something just didn't stick. I feel kind of dumb now. Sorry for wasting your time and I will get started on my drop pod tonight. Thanks for clearing everything up for me.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Oath Complete!

I would like to claim Detektiv's Jurnal for weathering. You can't see it too well in that picture but I tried to weather the top of the drop pod where exhaust and I hope flames shoot out of. Here is a more clear picture.

Not perfect, but given the fact that I moved this month and painted 13 space marines (not oathed) I think I did just fine this month keeping up painting.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I JesusIsTehCool Oath 10 Tyranid Termagants by Games Workshop(28mm) for the month of November

Also if we are listing people who never received prizes I also never got my double sided brushes. Not a big deal though as I have pick up nice brushes I am happy with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Oath Complete!
The ten I Oathed

Plus the other 20 friends I was able to finish as well.

Now on to this guy.

• Locked thread