Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Man the format has changed drastically since that first year of oaths :psyduck:

Am I right in saying that there's no longer any requirement for picking your oath from a set category, I.e. this month is fast attack for 40k etc.. So I can just oath anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Awesome... Thanks for confirming :D oath coming up shortly...

enri
Dec 16, 2003

This guy has been languising on my desk for a month or two and I've been putting off painting him, what better time to dive on in and get him painted up?

I, enri, hereby oath to paint one Trollblood Dire Troll Mauler, from Privateer Press

Did I do this right? It's been a while :ohdear:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

MasterSlowPoke posted:

If they want people to post oath completes on Sundays, then the brushes should be given out on Mondays to people who have completed oaths that month. Gives a benefit to finishing early.

..but on the flip side, punishes those with real world distractions such as jobs, kids, wives :v: just playing devils advocate :3:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

Is it too late to get in on this or do I have to wait till next year?

It's the first month, you can take part whenever you want, now is a good time though.. no catching up to be done :)

Go forth and make an oath! :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

OATH COMPLETE! Dire Troll Mauler by Privateer Press

The Detektuv’s Jurnal:

WIP #1 - assembled, base made and ready to undercoat!

WIP #2 - Skin is almost complete, finishing off the lighter belly colour

WIP #3 - Beginning the claws and teeth, the end is in sight!

:siren: One-time bonus :siren:

Box Art
Going to get this one in early, as I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to complete this bonus point otherwise.. original box artwork can be found here: wee! original box art! click me!

Parts List
..and again, just getting this in now because hey.. I can :)

For the base, I used a piece of styrofoam carved into an angled rock, because the dire troll plastic kit has this horrible lurch forward and I wanted him standing a bit more upright.. there's also a 1mm thick brass rod holding him onto the base :v:

For the paints...

P3 Cygnar Blue Highlight & Citadel Bugman's Glow for the base colour of the skin
P3 Cygnar Blue Base & P3 Thornwood Green mixed into the base colour for shading
P3 Khardic Flesh mixed into the base colour for highlighting
Citadel Mournfang brown for the base colour on the teeth / claws / rocky protrusions
Citadel Mournfang brown mixed into Vallejo Bone White for highlighting teeth / claws
Vallejo Cobra Leather for highlights on the rocky protrusions
All metals basecoated in Citadel Leadbelcher and washed with Army Painter Dark Tone wash, highlighted with Citadel Leadbelcher
The red hairy bits are basecoated in Vallejo Model Color Burnt Cadmium Red, washed with Army Painter Strong Tone and highlighted with Vallejo Scar Red
Belt / Leather are basecoated in P3 Battlefield Brown, highlighted with the basecolour and Vallejo Bone White

Painting the base... overbrush with P3 Battlefield Brown, drybrush with Citadel Foundation Adeptus Battlegrey, drybrush with Vallejo Cold Grey

I like to use lots of different paint manufacturers :3:

edit: edited to add the paints for painting the base! forgot those

edit edit: I'd like to claim Double the fun! for two of the bonus points pretty please :allears:

enri fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 29, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Got to say, loving this oath thread again already.. I've spent 4 evenings painting this week which is more than I've managed to squeeze into one week in years, I totally expected to have to cram time in post-holiday (away all of next week) to get my dire troll finished but totally surprised myself by having him complete this early.. and now I'm eyeballing more models to get painted up for next month, decisions decisions.. ! :) come on June.. hurry up, I want to make another oath :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Welp, I'm pretty set on what my June oath will be.. seems the fates have decided that the first paint job I did on a hordes troll impaler wasn't good enough. I've had to patch chipped paint off of it no less than 3 times (and it's still not finished).. then last night, managed to drop the little poo poo on the garage floor, exploderising him into several pieces...

...and chipping the paint. again.

Pass me the paint stripper :suicide:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Silly rules question, is it ok to be converting / building stuff prior to declaring your oath? i.e. I want to spend a bunch of time building a completely awesome base for a model before the next oath period starts. I'm pretty sure this is covered in the rules somewhere but I'm being thick and can't see it :downs:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Yes - it's a painting oath thread, not a building/conversion oath thread. Part of the range of things done to make it more inviting to skirmish/historical players.

Excellent, ta for the clarification :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

I forgot to claim Double the fun in the post linked above. I'd love it if a judge could fix that for me! I have edited the relevant information into the bottom of that post. Thank you!

Psst.. I think double the fun is for detektiv jurnals, not bonus points and as we're only on month one, there isn't two jurnals to do on one oath entry yet :v:

judges, correct me if I'm wrong! :downs:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

It's actually for anyone who does two One-Time Bonuses OR Detektuv's Jurnals in a single month. There are actually a bunch of people who qualify for this already, so I hope they're remembering to claim their extra point!

Achmed Jones posted:

That's what I thought, too, until another oather's satisfaction of DtF prompted me to check the rules again: "Do TWO Detectuv’s Jurnal/bonuses on one model." As far as I can tell, that means two Jurnals or two bonuses.

But hey, if I'm wrong, I'll just do it next month! :shobon:

:doh:

Sorry! :shobon:

Can I be bothered to go edit that back in to my oath complete post, or should I just do it next month? ehhh... I'll do it later :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Does that sound fair?

This was actually another question I was going to ask, sounds perfectly reasonable to me :v: diorama-a-go-go! :D

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

This is my favorite time of the oath month :) Lots of great stuff coming in! Unfortunately for me, this year it means I have to organize everything into slideshows and mail various things out, but oh well! Lots of people get free stuff, that's the point.

:D

When will you post June's Detektiv's Jurnal requirements? I have a few things in mind that I'm undecided on oathing and just want to know if I can throw myself at my June oath straight away over the weekend or if it'll be a few days wait for the details of the jurnal? It may or may not decide me oath, that's all :ohdear:

Sorry for being an impatient git :D

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Or alternatively, fairy power spray does a great job too

edit: meant to say, thanks KG for the clarification on the next months oath details! :v:

enri fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 29, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Leperflesh, I've edited my original post to claim the 'double the fun!' bonus point if that's ok.

If I've done it wrong, let me know and I'll fix her up asap :allears:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Wili posted:

What about the clear bases used for flying vehicles and the like?

Flying vehicles come with a clear base, you'll receive the basing point because your model is based on the base it comes on if you do absolutely nothing but attach it to its clear base.

That's my understanding.. but why anyone would leave flying bases 'as is' is beyond me, they really benefit from a bit of attention.

Anyways, getting closer and closer to deadline.. how many outstanding oaths have we got out there? Come on people :D

enri
Dec 16, 2003

...pretty sure I know what I'll be oathing, lots of 6mm scale gribbly critters :) hoping they'll be delivered tomorrow and if not then hopefully Saturday. I hate waiting around for things to arrive... itching to get started :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

The clock's ticking, less than 10 minutes to go.. :ohdear:

Edit: nope, I'm an idiot and getting my times muddled up.. so tired, I'll blame that

enri fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 31, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I have no idea what to paint this month. I was toying with some Eldar but I don't want to apply battle damage to my pretty elves. I'll have to examine my backlog for inspiration. :ohdear:

It'll probably be more orks.

Even space elves can do battle damage and make it look not scruffy ;) when Fix ran the first oath thread, the very first months 'theme' was something like battle damage, or something very similar to it.. I did a unit of dire avengers and did the exarch like this:

The backstory being he'd lost an eye to an ork or something and had taken steps to reflect that on his helmet, something of a personalisation of his armour or something v:shobon:v

So it doesn't strictly speaking need to be traditional battle damage, just think outside the box :D

Oath pledge coming up.. just as soon as I format this picture..

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Starting small, with every intention of adding to this months oath as I have a few things in the pipeline to work on (but with the vagaries of real life and having two kids, I totally expect this plan to get knocked sideways)

These, like last months oath, have been languishing on my desk for an age waiting for the inspiration to hit.

I, enri, hereby oath to paint one pair of UCM Falcon Gunships for Dropzone Commander, scale is 10mm and the manufacturer is Hawk Wargames

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Are uh... are you sure? They look like space ships to me, far smaller than 10mm scale. Maybe they're 10mm long?

Yep, drop zone Commander is a 10mm scale game, here's the models on hawk wargames website for reference:

http://www.hawkwargames.com/products/falcon-gunships

..and to give you an idea of the size of them, those bases are 30mm square :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Judge Sole.Sushi,
Judge Bachtere, and
Judge thiswayliesmadness...

Your first choice will earn the artist 3 points.
Your second choice will earn the artist 2 points.
Your third choice will earn the artist 1 point.

Quick question, is it feasible for judges to pick the same person at all for the same position and/or different positions? Just sanity checking, that's all :D

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Argh, you ask the hardest questions!

I do like to be a pain in the arse ;) and to continue that theme..

..I get a permission error on this link :v:

Not trying to be a pain in the arse on purpose v:shobon:v

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Just fixed that, still getting used to the new G+ photo albums thing.

I'm still getting permission errors when logged in with both my personal and work google accounts :ohdear: sorry :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

I just tried it with two different browsers that aren't signed into my Google+ account, and I'm able to see everything. This is the link: https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/5885372339766708753?authkey=CO3G5d2XmJCghwE can you try it again?

Is anyone else having trouble seeing it?

The album is set so anyone with the link can view it.

Aha, now it seems to work :)

Awesome stash!

Comparing the links, the former was lacking '?authkey=CO3G5d2XmJCghwE' in the querystring - I'll put my web developer brain on and go nose around for more information on that.. I really should have my web developer brain on anyway, seeing as I'm at work.. and I'm a web developer :downs:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Woo, congrats to May's winners :D

Speaking of battle damage, I definitely need to add to my oath.. I don't think I can bring myself to damage dropzone commander models, they're just too drat pretty to scar up.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Sole.Sushi posted:

1 Point: Enri!
Welcome back, buddy. Your absence has clearly not dulled your skills; clean colors, engaging range of hues--really, you nailed all the fundamentals, and when you get the basics down perfect, it really forces everything up a few notches. I'm not sure if it's just the photos, but everything does seem a little waxy; great for the skin, not so much for the rocky nodules. But, it doesn't stop me from enjoying the solid job you have here. Very nicely done.

:allears:

This has made my morning, thank you :) and yes, it's not just the photo, there is a bit of a sheen to the paint on there that I'm not massively happy with, thanks in part to some of the older paints I was using. I think a quick going over with a matte varnish would do the trick but I don't have any to hand (and am eternally petrified of getting that frosted look on a model I've slaved hours over :ohdear:)

I never managed to get judged higher than a special mention from PaintVagrant before now, so this has got me feeling really energised to keep pluggin away at my painting and try to up my game as much as possible! :) (very apt given a recent decision to curtail my gaming and focus on painting and modelling!)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

:toot::siren: Oath addition! I enri, hereby oath to paint 3 epic scale carnifexes, made by Games Workshop, these are 6mm scale :siren::toot:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Get Based Out

Hypothetical question time.. sorry :) If I made a 'get based out' entry early on and succesfully completed it, would I be able to supercede that first entry with a newer (and potentially better) 'get based out' entry at a later date?

Secondly, is making the base part of the oath? or is it just applicable to the painting of the base? I only ask because I've begun building a base that could potentially be a 'get based out' entry but haven't oathed the construction of it, I was just planning on doing that for the part when it's ready to receive some paint :) (I have been taking WIP photos though to show off later on)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

:siren:OATH COMPLETE!:siren: one pair of UCM Falcon Gunships for Dropzone Commander and three epic scale carnifexes

:siren:The Detektuv’s Jurnal::siren:

Comparison of before painting / after painting pics here so the 'damage' is more obvious.. Mr Carnifex here is sporting a few lovely wounds, with gribbly pink bits dribbling out of a squishy fleshy bit of his back :3:

:siren:One-time bonus:siren:

Speed painting!
Wanted to get this one out of the way whilst I knew I had time to squeeze these guys out..

If you look closely in the 'done' photo, you can still see wet paint on the bases :3:

Before:

After:

ninja edit: if I'm missing a basing point due to the flying stands, let me know and I'll do *something* for them :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Good job! Please edit everything from your first Oath Complete post into this one. I only have room in my spreadsheet to track one oath complete post per goon per month, so I need your entire oath complete stuff all in one place please.

This kinda half answers a question I've been meaning to ask, I presume it's ok to add to your oath after you've posted your original completed oath? or is that a massive ball ache for you to track?

I'm still debating whether or not to oath just the base I've made for the base prize thingy, if I don't then I need to make a new base in later months. Maybe I'll consider this one a test one and not bother oathing it v:shobon:v

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Matgash posted:

:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

1x Drop Pod

Holy hell that is a clean paint job. Nice one, well done :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

This is my Display Board entry

Got everything finished up to get my Armies on Parade display put up in the store before I head off for a mini-vacation on the weekend. Now to get back to finishing up the final touches of my Pink Horrors of Tzeentch for another completed oath. :woop:

SRM posted:

Oh man, those turquoise pools are beautiful. Hell, that whole board is beautiful, but those especially.

You know what's really awesome, the drat bubbles in the pools. I want to go there :( It looks awesome. Great job Pierre :)

edit: words fail, I am speek english reel gud :v:

enri fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 26, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Brock Samsonite posted:

Sorry the date's small on the picture..

Judges, this is bugging me, this isn't a requirement is it? Only for making the oath itself? (unless of course you're talking about the speed painting thingy)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Good work people, some lovely models in June :)

Can't wait to see this months Detektiv's Jurnal! :iamafag:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Oooh tricksy... an interesting jurnal :) shall have a think on that! :D

edit: tricksy, I was planning on doing some 6mm stuff this month, conversions count right? there'll be cutting and there'll be gluing from a few different models :)

enri fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 1, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I, enri, hereby oath to paint...

4 epic scale space marine land raiders, scale is 6mm and the manufacturer is Games Workshop
2 epic scale tyranid zoanthropes*, scale is 6mm and the manufacturer is Games Workshop / Dark Realm Miniatures

* these are for my journal entry, hopefully they count.. I'm using GW plastic rippers with the tops of their heads chopped off and I'm using the heads from some Dark Realms Miniatures 'medium beasties' minis to give them that classic 'oh god look at the size of its head' look.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Kommando posted:

This kinda makes it hard to do speed painting at the start of the month.

You don't need to do your speed painting entry using your original oath picture, take a separate time-stamped start photo :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Ok judges, stupid question time, I did ask about this before but got hella busy and didn't do anything about it at the time and I'm not sure I remember the answer :saddowns:

For the 'get based out!' competition, I've already made a base in June but it's completely paint free (but I don't have a timestamped photo of it being built) - Did I need to oath the construction of the base? i.e. do I need a timestamp pic with the components and whatnot that I'm using?

or am I able to just oath it either as..

a.) an oath in its own right (i.e. 'I oath to paint this base!')

OR

b.) part of a model

..and still enter it for the 'get based out' competition?

• Locked thread