Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I moths, for the month of May, Oath to paint one box of WWII American Infantry

Awwww! a BABY!

These guys are Italari 1/76 (20mm) figures.

The box says there are 50 figures.

Oh god what am I doing.

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Detektuv's Journal 1: There are a lot of soldiers here, and I'm going to be assembly lining them. Which means keeping them in line. This is a photo from last night, after priming. I managed to clip the sprue connected to the head. This should minimize touch-ups later.

It's cheap plastic, and the mold lines fray if you trim them. I think at this scale it's a thing you just deal with? Who can say.

For Parts List I washed the sprues with dishsoap, and primed with Rustoleum Camoflague spray (sand colored).

(I realize Parts List gets posted when complete, but I'm going to have a hard time keeping track if I wait.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Manifest posted:

Are those green army men on a sprue?
Essentially yes, but at roughly 1/4th the size.

Manifest posted:

What are you using them for?
Under ideal circumstances, IABSM3. But failing that, TFL's Chain of Command... whenever it comes out.

Or a diminutive Bolt Action if no better option presents itself.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Detektuv's Journal 2: That... went a lot faster than I expected. The linked image is huge. But the base colors are done, and I just have a few comments about that:

First, the colors look lighter than you'd expect. That's because I used the highlight color and will darken them with washes and inks, letting the model do most of the painting. After that, I'll detail with webbing, canteen covers, backpacks, hair, and fix any additional details.

Second, that's a lot of white guys. I'm usually conscious of stuff like this and try to avoid it - but the actual US army was segregated until '48. Black and white soldiers couldn't 'officially' fight side-by-side until December '44, when Eisenhower allowed black soldiers to reinforce the lines in the Battle of the Bulge. (I learned about that this morning, this hobby owns.)

Parts List
Vallejo:
983 Flat Earth - leather and wood parts (scabbards, shoes,
874 USA Tan Earth - trousers
994 Dark Grey - metals, hoses
887 Brown Violet - painted metals (helmets, equipment)
927 Dark Flesh - skin
878 Old Gold - ammo belts

Citadel (Games Workshop):
Death World Forest - Jackets

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Can I ask for clarification of theme? Because I'm not sure which of these apply:

- Every model I painted this month is a Blood Angel space marine.
- I painted Blood Angels this month, next month I paint Blood Angels. The theme is Blood Angels.
- I painted Blood Angels this month, next month I paint Salamanders. The theme is Space Marines.
- I painted my Blood Angels to look like the cast of Welcome Back Kotter.
- Welcome Back Kotter Blood Angels, and Barney Miller Space Wolves next month.

The bi-monthly thing makes me think the theme is required to extend beyond a month? I don't know if it's this confusing to everybody else.

And should we save up WIP photos for a wall of images accompanying the Oath Complete post? Are more than three WIP shots OK or should those go in the general miniatures / painting thread?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok that helped clear things up, and gave me some things to think about. Thanks!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't realize that was 15mm! I thought they were good looking 28mm figures, but at 15 they're amazing.

Some more WIP:

If it ever stops raining I can seal these and start basing them.

Bases for heavy weapons teams.

Next to a modern guy for scale.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

:siren: OATH COMPLETED! :siren:

:patriot:

Groups (Click for massive!)

riflemen

BARs and flamethrowers

NCOs & officers

HMG and MMG

bazooka teams

minesweepers

mortars

a CPL that came out particularly well

This was a blast and I had a lot of fun. The photos say everything better than I would, so I'll just skip to the

:siren: Bonuses: :siren:

+Awwww! a BABY!

+Detektuv's Journal (repeated for reference)
1 2 3

+Parts List
Primers:
Rustoleum Camoflague Sand
Krylon Ruddy Brown

Vallejo:
983 Flat Earth - leather and wood parts (scabbards, shoes,
874 USA Tan Earth - trousers
994 Dark Grey - metals, hoses
887 Brown Violet - painted metals (helmets, equipment), base edging
927 Dark Flesh - skin
878 Old Gold - ammo belts
988 Khaki - Dirt (highlight)
73301 Lavado wash - darkening bases
72.094 Game Ink Black - lining uniforms

Citadel (Games Workshop):
Death World Forest - Jackets, weapons
Gryphonne Sepia - Faces and khaki

Apple Barrel Colors
20515 Burnt Sienna - Dirt (base)
20524 Golden Brown - Dirt (midtone)

Woodland Scenics
Coarse Turf - Burnt Grass
Blended Turf - Earth Blend

Army Painter grass tufts

Liquitex resin sand

Toothpicks as ruined fenceposts

pennies, washers, Flames of War bases - bases

+Box Art

vs

+Theme
Everyone is wearing the same clothes.

+Smaller than 25mm

+Double the Fun for SGT Night Fever, who gets Box Art, appeared in Detektuv's Journal, fits the theme, and conforms to parts list.

e: mortar teams, scale

e2: Double-fun

moths fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 24, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Strangely you need to right-click and open in a new tab / window if you want to view the original massive images. I guess that's a function of TIMG

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Germ posted:

Krylon primer
Delta Ceramcoat
Mini Wax Polyshades & Mineral Spirits

These are three of the most underrated liquids in miniatures painting, and I applaud your demonstration of their virtue.

How did you come up with Polyshades and mineral spirits? I've been wondering how to thin it since the first skeleton I ruined in a tin of the stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

For Alternate Universe Oath, does it need to get completed in any particular timeframe? Like, if I wanted to be crazy ambitious and oath a box of Sedition Wars, Super Dungeon Explore, or two thousand points of tyrranids, that's how I'd do it - provided I still did something else as a regular oath each month?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Double the Fun seems like a freebie. I could claim it for box art and WIP, along with almost everybody else who did two or more bonuses.

Glad to hear I can start converting though, I have some big ideas for next month!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, they just sold me a few blisters with that too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'll also claim Double the Fun and get it out of the way.

(Editing it into my oath completed right after.)

E: Just to be sure, I can make an Alternative Universe Oath at anytime, yes?

moths fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 24, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I, moths, oath three more sprues of 1/72 Italari WW2 Americans (the retooled 6120 sprue) and one Pegasus Hobbies German casualty with rifle.

That's 18 riflemen, 6 Thompson / M3 SMG gunners, 6 ammo carriers, 3 Browning M1919 gunners, 3 60mm M2 mortar guys, 3 radio operators, 3 Bazooka guys, 3 BAR gunners, 3 tankers, and one German who wasn't even supposed to be here today. (Some of the riflemen are going to end up on heavy weapons teams.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Aw yeah a double brush! Can't wait to try that out!

Wet...blending?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm also doing a diorama / fancy base - I definitely got the impression that we didn't need to post it somewhere.

(Linked to big)

Anyway that's where I'm at right now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Ah, I see, I see. OK, changed it to:

'requires a PRE-CONVERSION PICTURE. Pre-Conversion means before cutting anything or adding on any bits.'

So can we get grandfathered in? I've already started converting my alt universe oath, I wanted to see how it would go before I formally oathed it.

e: There has been a lot of conflicting guidance whether pre-conversion photos are needed or not. I started to go back through the thread and quote-compile them, but realized I'm not a dick.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 14, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Aren't there 30 days in June?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The best time of the thread! I love looking at what everybody's done.

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:
Original image:

Completed image(s):

This is my Diorama entry and This is my Get Based Out entry:

Fly your (captured) flag!

(Its humble beginnings as cork board, a Starbucks coffee holder, and a Flames of War base.)
The flag is converted from a slice of blister pack that I held over a lighter.

Is your model smaller than 25mm scale? Yes.

There is a theme here, and I hope it's obvious.

For the Detektiv's Journal there really wasn't a lot I could do for battle damage (given the scale and subject), so I tried to muddy up the uniforms a bit. I did stuff as much battle damage as possible onto the diorama - I hope it counts!

Selected bonus closeups:

edit:

Leperflesh posted:

Please edit the missing photos into your Oath Complete post. You have my permission to have a post-deadline edit stamp. I've credited you for the conversion work.

Look at this guy. Just shaking his fist at the Axis powers.

This is heat-deformed blister-pack plastic. Yes, that's a paperclip. (1/72 is too small for conversions.)

Trim that plastic down a bit and now he's got a flag!

moths fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 1, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You may want to wait until the 1st to avoid the perception of cheating an extra day out of next month's contest. (Not that I think you'd start tonight, but it would suck to get your oath rejected.)

I guess it's it's tomorrow somewhere.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Also, a final reminder to POST YOUR FINISHED MODELS ON THE GAMES & GEARS FACEBOOK PAGE to be eligible for more prizes from them!

Games & Gears are already sponsoring prizes for us Oathers, and if you post the models you've completed this month on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/GamesNGears you could get more prizes!

How exactly do we do this?

e: That is, where do we upload them to? Just comment on their page with the images? Put them in a specific gallery or message them?

e2: ...On second thought, posting a swastika on facebook is potentially troublesome no matter what the context.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 1, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Uhhh. Hey Krushgroove, can someone make a diorama be a get based out? I think that might run counter to the idea of get based out - as a fancy base, rather than as part of a diorama.

EDIT: OK, no, these two are mutually exclusive categories, for a different reason. According to the rules, your Diorama is not eligible for judging (in the monthly judging), but Get Based Out is eligible for monthly judge's points. You need to pick one or the other, so the judges will know whether to consider your model.

FoW uses a lot of vignette scenes for commander models, so I took a cue from that. Although I believe it's playable in IABSM (I haven't seen any have any firm basing scheme), it's fragile and I'd be afraid to roll dice anywhere near it. So I'll count it as Diorama instead, if I can.

Leperflesh posted:

On very close inspection... I'm just not sure. Seems more like weathering, as per OneTrueBru above, but the models are so small I can't really tell. It is legit to just paint on damage. Is anyone bleeding? Any bullet holes? One could argue that foxhole diorama is itself an example of battle damage...
On balance I haven't awarded the points yet, but if you can show me a photo that would clearly qualify (or again if Krushgroove overrules me) I'll award them.

It feels silly to miss out points for battle damage when I put a casualty in the trench, but I didn't paint anything extra to indicate damage. Is an intact image of a destroyed thing still damaged? This is a question for philosophers and Krushgroove.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm missing credit for this conversion, but I also didn't post these photos:

Look at this guy. Just shaking his fist at the Axis powers.

This is heat-deformed blister-pack plastic. Yes, that's a paperclip. (1/72 is too small for conversions.)

Trim that plastic down a bit and now he's got a flag!

e:(This looked terrible as WIP.)

moths fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 1, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Updated my OC post with the conversions photos. (They were left on my phone instead of my camera :doh:)

Man, this month's going to be a rough journal.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just realized that Bones are coming this week. That's going to open up a lot of options!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Great! And I don't mean to push on the journal points, but has there been any ruling? I'd hate to miss out on battle damage because I didn't give a dead body a bloody nose.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Excellent! That makes me really happy to hear! And organizing this is a mighty undertaking, I don't think anyone can begrudge a delay.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

krushgroove posted:

make sure your oath complete pictures are in the photo album before I send it to the judges in approximately 24 hours' time!

I hate to keep being a squeaky wheel, but could I get this shot of my problem-child diorama in there? It took a lot of work and I'd hate for the judges to only see it in the overview photo.

I, moths, oath for July:

10x Mantic Z-Corp troopers
3x FFG Grim Reapers
1x Mantic Mortis character

The Z-Corp models were briefly sold as a conversion kit, where you got equal parts zombies and corporation marines, a sprinkling of ghouls, and good wishes towards finding your own path. This kit was not well reviewed. The marines are cast in an insanely tough resin. Like dog-toy tough. And they sold you a box of 80. I've started building a few in the past, and it cost me some skin from my thumb.
(I'll be starting fresh for this month's oath.)

The Grim Reapers are from FFG's DUST game. They come poorly pre-painted (as shown) and fairness obligates me to point out that the heads aren't glued on and will require no actual cutting to swap out. They'll be counting-as Warpath Plague Striders.

Mortis is Mantic's not-Typhus character that doesn't have Warpath rules and would sit in a box forever if I didn't oath him this month. I won't be converting him, which is slightly ironic because he's already a factory conversion of their Veer-myn warlord.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

This thing is really confusing :negative:.

You got that right! If all I'm losing is one potential point then there's nothing I can do about that. The conversion and better painted models will all get judged eventually - I'm more concerned about breaking my Journal streak.

This means I'll need to shoot more photos with username and everything required for the diorama drill?

Leperflesh posted:

What scale are the troopers? They look smaller than the other guys.

The troopers, hero, and undead are all 28mm. The DUST guys are 1/48(!) but I'm using them as huge-rear end 28mm exo-armor.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

moths posted:

I, moths, oath for July:

Mutants with assault rifles!

The bodies of four marines were painfully bisected and reassigned to undead donors. A leader-type was left in intact armor, and one feral ghoul naked Plague 3rd Generation got an assault rifle only. Some of these required putty, others didn't.

I ran out of guns and am unsure how that happened. It looks like you only get nine rifles in a bag of resin parts. I'm going to pull an extra from the box unless there's any objections. I can make that single rifle an oath addition if I need to, but that seems silly.

Mutants in gently caress-off huge power armor!

I cut the jetpacks off and replaced the helmets* with zombie heads and a blob of putty.

(*Which turned out to be glued in place with the weakest hot glue)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think each oath breaker should devise their own fun act of contrition and tell the thread about it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

My god, it will look like a cross between an Eldar Harlequin and a WWI biplane. I would also like to see this penance realized.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

For speed painting, do you need to do the base as well?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

God loving damnit, I just sealed most of my oath and frosted the fuckers.

I got to it with a better sealer right after, so maybe that fixed it?

Fuuuuck.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's good to know. Will brush-on gloss do the trick, or should I use spray?

So far the satin varnish I used seems to be mitigating the damage pretty well. I still have a few frosty assault rifles, but I was able to save the mecha suits and most of the regular dudes, and the ones I didn't especially like got the worst of it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't even think to do in in AC, but that should work perfectly since AC works by removing the humidity. I live in PA. We have three minutes in September when the humidity dips below 50%, which is when I guess I'm supposed to spray everything I own.

But thanks everybody, you'll see how they came out soon! (I hope.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

These are the five photos I'm allowed! And wow, this was a fun trip outside my comfort zone: Huge 28mm models, urban basing, and no prescribed color scheme. I tried some NMM chrome on some visors, had (then fixed) a sealer froster disaster, and played with wet-blending skintones and gore.

For bonuses, I can claim:

+Speed Painting:

before

after

+Themed Group: (Warpath Plague)

+The Detektuv’s Jurnal x 13 (I realize it only counts once.)
(The only uncut stock model in the group is the special character.)

e: Oops, also This is an entry to Manifests's conversion contest

moths fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 15, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Swags posted:

:siren:OATH FAILED:siren:

Am I the seriously the only one who read the part about doing a different month journal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah but you could do a different month's journal if you don't want to chop anything up. It shouldn't even enter the thought process.

• Locked thread