Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Stupid question, but what qualifies as a conversion? I have a guy that was cast holding a bag and a bottle, and I want to put a violin in his hands. Would that count, or do conversion have to be more involved than that?

e: vvv Thanks! vvv

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I, Achmed Jones, oath this figure: Coot Jenkins, Prospector by Reaper Miniatures. He will be converted to use the violin and bow (also by Reaper). Awwww, I'm a baby!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

Given that this is my first conversion, my first use of OSL, and my second time basing, I'm really pleased with how everything turned out.

Detectuv’s Jurnal: Suiting Up
WIP 1: Conversion complete, primed

WIP 2: Working on that basecoat

WIP 3: Basecoat complete

WIP 4: Highlights, washes, and OSL complete (just needs a base!)

This oath qualifies for the following one-time bonuses:

Speed painting

Parts list
Unless noted, the brand for everything is Reaper. Asterisked paints are from the HD line.
code:
Pure White
Pale Saffron*
Fireball Orange*
Golden Yellow*
Pure White
Burning Orange*
Rusty Red*
Caucasian Flesh*
Concrete Grey*
Linen White
Ruddy Brown*
Pure Black
Military Grey *
Leather Brown
Tarnished Brass
Walnut Brown
Honed Steel
Flesh Wash
Brown Wash
Black Wash
Green Stuff
Krazy Glue
Craftsmart All Purpose Glue
Gale Force Nine Medium Grit
Gale Force Nine Dirt Flock
Gale Force Nine Straw Static Grass
Craftsmart Matte Varnish
Krylon white indoor/outdoor primer
Double the Fun (Parts List one-time bonus + Speed Painting one-time bonus)

e: forgot the primer in the parts list
e2: forgot Double the Fun

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 22, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Schmetterling posted:

They look really nice, and feel nice and soft. I'm looking forward to trying them out on some new techniques, like wet blending.

I just got mine, too, and used them for my oath. I don't think they're as nice as my W&N brushes (I had to clip a couple hairs on each brush), but they're still quite nice for the price!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 19, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Thundercloud posted:

I'm thinking of risking my successful oath in order to paint enough Klingon ships to qualify for the theme prize. I've got seven I could start painting, 2 little frigates, 4 cruisers and a dreadnought.

Should I take the chance?

I'm no officiant, but 3-4" long obviously qualifies for the 'large' size. The actual scale isn't what's important, the size of the model is. The scales given are for a human-sized thing. Something at a 15mm scale that's the same size as a model that goes on a 50mm base counts as something that goes on a 50mm base (ie you need three for the group).

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

If we qualified for a bonus that we forgot to mention, how do we go about claiming it? (I forgot to claim Double the Fun)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

I forgot to claim Double the fun in the post linked above. I'd love it if a judge could fix that for me! I have edited the relevant information into the bottom of that post. Thank you!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

enri posted:

Psst.. I think double the fun is for detektiv jurnals, not bonus points and as we're only on month one, there isn't two jurnals to do on one oath entry yet :v:

judges, correct me if I'm wrong! :downs:

That's what I thought, too, until another oather's satisfaction of DtF prompted me to check the rules again: "Do TWO Detectuv’s Jurnal/bonuses on one model." As far as I can tell, that means two Jurnals or two bonuses.

But hey, if I'm wrong, I'll just do it next month! :shobon:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Holy cow, Corvus Belli is brilliant - I'm going to end up buying and painting some Infinity guys just to get in the running for those prizes!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

e: Never mind!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I oath the following for June:
Socrates, by Reaper Miniatures
Sabertooth Tiger Man, by Reaper Miniatures
4 Gladiators, from Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery by Gale Force Nine

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oath Complete!

Gather round, Gladiators! Socrates has a story to tell. It's a story of being a Themed Group - the theme being The Ancient Mediterranean. If you don't worry about the whole Greek/Roman thing and the several hundred intervening years, you can see old Socrates teaching the finer points of the gladiatorial arts to his men:

Let's take a moment to look at ol' Socrates there:

Why, he looks familiar! Indeed, he was modeled after the Reaper official Box Art!

Now that nasty tigerman has something to say regarding his Backstory

quote:

Every man is at war with every man in the absence of a sovereign to compel them towards peace. Life in these woods is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short - something must change. By steel and blood I will tame these wildlands. By sweat and sorrow I will force a lasting peace to the lake and its inhabitants. If you follow me, I cannot guarantee your safety. What I can guarantee is possibility - the possibility of a civilized future, in which the mad dog can find no quarter to make his home, in which he who breaks his covenant is unwelcome. We will all die, or we will all live - but if we live, we will live together. Talk among yourselves and reach consensus. I am your sovereign, or I am not. In either case, I am off to battle.

If you look closely at Mister Hobbes there, you'll see that something nasty happened to him - he's taken Battle Damage to the left eye!

To recap, I am claiming an entry to the Themed Group bi-monthly drawing. I am also claiming the Backstory and Box Art one-time bonuses.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 16, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The timg tag is your friend.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I oath one Reaper Gnoll Warrior for the month of July

Here's what he looked like an hour ago:

Here's what he looks like now:

He will obviously be a conversion.

Since there is only one color of paint/primer in the image with the timestamp (on the flagpole - the rest is bare plastic), I think I'm within the rules for a valid oath. If not, I can take out the pole, re-shoot, and make a new one for a new picture no problem.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oath Complete

I am claiming the Fly Your Flag one-time bonus.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Regarding the G&G brushes, I backed them on Kickstarter. They weren't so hot and split and such, which was disappointing. I contacted G&G and they sent me a whole new set, free of charge. The replacement brushes are much better. While they're still not quite as nice as my W&N Series 7, they are definitely good brushes. I paid $40 for 8 brushes, all in different sizes and that would have been a good deal for the single set (of good build quality). Considering that I ended up with two sets - one that's no so great but is perfect for drybrushing and one that's just dandy - I really feel like I made out like a bandit.

I also think that if I hadn't been gifted a couple W&N brushes for Christmas, I'd be much more appreciative of the G&G brushes. They're straight-up rad brushes! They're only slightly less-awesome than what pretty much everyone considers the Cadillac of manspainting brushes, so if you're painting with crummy brushes the upgrade would definitely be worth it and noticeable.

Regarding winning sweet terrain, hot dog! I'll PM email you after I've had a good think, krushgroove! Thanks!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 7, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I, Achmed Jones, oath these figures from Reaper: Garrick the Bold (Bones) and "Man with Hoe" from the Townsfolk V pack.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oath complete!

In addition to the mud and the shading it entails, the knight has had rust pigments applied to his sword, shield, one pauldron, one bracer, and helmet.

This month was a lot of fun! I had a great time basing the guys and dirtying them up, although it was a bit harrowing. The farmer's base is paint (Reaper Walnut Brown) mixed with snow basing material. I slathered that on and then sealed it with a 2:1 acrylic medium:water mix. The knight's base is dirt flock mixed with Realistic Water with some Marsh Blend static grass sprinkled on top.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I, Achmed Jones, hereby oath this cow, from Redoubt Enterprises and this duck, also from Redoubt Enterprises.

You'll also notice some dice in there, but if I understand correctly I do not need to oath them to use them for both I Rolled a Six! and the current freehand Jurnal. This is good, because I have no idea how many I'm going to do. Greater than or equal to one.

e: They're listed as "25/28mm" as far as scale goes.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 14, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I'll leave it to krushgroove to figure out the rules for the I Rolled a Six thing, but; what scale are Cow and Duck, please?

25 or 28mm. The website says "25/28mm" for their sculpts in general and there isn't anything more specific on the product page. Hopefully that bit of vague information is enough to cover any procedural questions :shobon: Sorry for the omission!

e: Don't worry about the dice/freehand thing, it's irrelevant now, as I decided to go with a freehanded holstein pattern on the cow. Of course, others might have the same question, but at least now it isn't quite so pressing.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 14, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oath complete!

I am claiming the Jurnal for the spots on the cow (and the markings on the duck, for that matter) and I Rolled a Six for the set of dice in the script of Angerthas Moria. In other news, I stink at lettering and do not enjoy it in the slightest. It's a set of custom dice, but oh boy howdy it is decidedly not a good-looking set of custom dice.

I am also claiming the Strike a Pose one-time bonus:

"I don't know, she looks sick" said Arl. "No no my friend, that is just her breed," countered the merchant. "She is a fine cow, but for you, I will offer her half price. Only five pieces of gold. And remember, she is a milker, not a beef cow. She will provide milk for your children, cheese for your wife, and butter for you. This is not a purchase, but an investment!"

Arl looked into the cow's eyes. The were brown and round and dumb. The farmer saw himself in that cow's eyes - he saw the years of meaningless toil, scraping a meager existence from the barren earth. He saw his children's hunger when the winter freeze outlasted the grain in the silo. He fingered the eight gold in his purse, his life savings, and thought about Francis. Arl's brother had set sail for Marqash a year ago, and hadn't been heard from since. That eight gold could buy his family passage south, away from the bitter winters and infertile soil. If Francis was established, they could even work together, and if not - well, anything was better than farming the frozen Northlands. "Keep your cow," Arl said at little more than a whisper. "We're heading south."

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 19, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Well, in that case, I will claim the Strike a Pose one-time bonus!

"I don't know, she looks sick" said Arl. "No no my friend, that is just her breed," countered the merchant. "She is a fine cow, but for you, I will offer her half price. Only five pieces of gold. And remember, she is a milker, not a beef cow. She will provide milk for your children, cheese for your wife, and butter for you. This is not a purchase, but an investment!"

Arl looked into the cow's eyes. The were brown and round and dumb. The farmer saw himself in that cow's eyes - he saw the years of meaningless toil, scraping a meager existence from the barren earth. He saw his children's hunger when the winter freeze outlasted the grain in the silo. He fingered the eight gold in his purse, his life savings, and thought about Francis. Arl's brother had set sail for Marqash a year ago, and hadn't been heard from since. That eight gold could buy his family passage south, away from the bitter winters and infertile soil. If Francis was established, they could even work together, and if not - well, anything was better than farming the frozen Northlands. "Keep your cow," Arl said at little more than a whisper. "We're heading south."

I edited my Oath Complete post to include this information as well.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm starting a display board for the gladiators from Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery and its expansion, The Serpent and the Wolf.

The styrofoam:

The cardboard:

I also have a photo of it glued together, but it makes no sense because the timestamp in it says 4:13, but it took me about half an hour to cut out the hexagons and glue everything together. In fact, worldtimeserver on my phone is still reading 4:13 pm - it appears not to auto-refresh on iOS 7. So I'll refrain from posting that little bit of :psyduck:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

quote:

Post a picture of your unpainted display board (with timestamp)
efore starting, and post the completed pictures before the end of the season to earn your points and be eligible for judging,

Does that means that the display board does not need to be completed in a single month? The rule says to post a picture before starting (done!) and to post the completed picture some time before the end of the season, so I figured that it wasn't part of the monthly Oath. But I'm probably wrong - if I need to, I'm happy to make an oath addition. That'll give me extra motivation to finish it up this month anyway!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

It does not need to be completed in a single month, and it does not need to be part of a monthly Oath.

Rad!

quote:

You do, however, need to post a photo of it assembled but prior to painting; you mentioned having such a photo, but with a bad timestamp?

Well, sort of - I'm still adding sand to it right now, so it's not all-the-way constructed yet:

I realized that I forgot to smooth the edges with tape, so I had to go back and do that. I'm still in the process of getting snow (to be painted as sand) to all the visible surfaces. I'll take another picture when it's all together and ready to be painted!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

OK, I think my display board is ready to be painted! Here it is:

I'll wait until I get the go-ahead to start painting - I'm not sure if the bit of cardboard and blue tape that you can see will be a problem. I'm pretty sure they won't be (otherwise I wouldn't submit, obviously) but better safe than sorry!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I oath this Reaper Bones PurplePink Worm in 28mm.

The rocks on the bottom make an integrated base. If I paint those, will it count as basing or do I need to put it on a round plastic base?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oath Complete

edit: In Battle one-time bonus here

Also, thanks IrvingWashington!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 21, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I decided that it was time for me to do my final one-time bonus. Today we have In Battle! It is in comic form:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

This might be overly nitpicky, but the OP says "THIS MONTH'S THEME IS: Freehand," even though it isn't.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

enri posted:

Did anyone specifically use a pink paint?! I used a red wash over a bone basecoat then had a few highlights with the same bone colour later on.

I do have some pinks, just didn't fancy using them :D

I used Reaper's HD Entrail Pink for my worm's belly. I pretty much have to use paints from the pot for pink and purple (though I can mix with white, as I did, to lighten them with confidence), since I'm colorblind as poo poo.

e: Well, either that or ask my fiancee. Which I did when mid-way through painting the (grey) rocks, I ran into the living room to ask if I'd just painted them all pink (I hadn't).

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 31, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

krushgroove posted:

And remember, the judges will be giving 1 point EACH for the best creative use of pink, or the pink ribbon, done this month!

This can't be right.

vvv e: Germ, you're right! Point conceded! :v:

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 1, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I oath these gladiators from the Serpent & the Wolf expansion to Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery. They are 28mm, and are by Gale Force 9.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm missing the point for a valid oath in the spreadsheet.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oath complete!

Does adding hair and a mustache count as a conversion? If so, I might as well claim it!

I also claim display board complete!

Bachtere posted:

Detektuv's Jurnal Bonus, Pink, 1 Point: Achmed Jones
A good looking worm. The pink works for the model, and the worm snot was very well done.

:woop: Thanks!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

My God, I love this beard

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

JerryLee posted:

Did you miss mine, or was there something wrong with it? I don't see it in the spreadsheet.

If I'm remembering correctly, krushgroove accepts oaths and Leperflesh puts them into the spreadsheet. So "accepted" doesn't mean "entered." I found this out by making a similar comment last month :)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I oath this 28mm Warhammer (Games Workshop) Daemon Slayer:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oath complete!

This month's jurnal is the rune axe (particularly its edge).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

You have the diorama and display board links reversed (the diorama link goes to the display boards gallery and vice versa).

edit: I have a question about dioramas: are we allowed to use a figure that we previously painted (during this season) in them?

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 18, 2013

• Locked thread