Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Lookin' like it's going to be a great year. Time to buy some more batteries for the camera!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I, Mr.Booger, oath that I will paint these 6 Prussian Grenadiers and 2 officers by Old Glory 15s (15mm)

ooh question, do you want the WIPs all at the end with the complete pic, or throughout the process just in the thread?

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 2, 2013

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
not sure if you replied about the WIP shots, so here is :

WIP #1 - Mr.Booger

I got the horses based and slapped some Piedra pumice acrylic mix stuff on it to hide the base edges, while that dries I glued the grenadiers to a Popsicle stick and primed 'em and started with faces.

Things I am learning:

1) Dear god stop trying to blend on 15mm models, it takes alot of time and as soon as I am done I set it down...and it is impossible to see at 12" away, let alone the 3 feet or better when it's on the table.

2) I should be painting alot more of them at the same time, they lend themselves well to chain painting down an assembly line, and I will have 'bout 1700 guys to paint

3) I need more small brushes, like alot more

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
you beat me to 'em, I also have some Baccus Brits I plan on oathing at some point. Good to see I am not the only one going smaller scale-wise, they really are neat little models.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
:siren:OATH COMPLETE!:siren:
6 15mm Old Glory Grenadiers and 2 officers

The full group:

retook with non-white background:

Grenadiers:

Officer:

WIPs
Started with glueing the little guys down to a popsicle stick and priming, also attaching the horses to their bases and using some pumice filler to hide the molded base edges. while that dried I started from the skin outward.

Got distracted by the first officer (really I wanted to test how to paint these guys without making it look terrible and decided a lone guy would be better if I completely messed it up than one of 24 guys that need to look alike.) After that was satisfactory I moved onto blocking in the uniform colors.

With the second officer's horse done I moved onto the part I was kind of dreading, the belts. It took a steady hand and some clean-up woth the uniform blue, but I got them to a point that would work, again these guys need to look good from 3-4 feet away, and for a 15mm model that means being exact isn't the highest priority, its making them look like a unit.

Overall best advice I can give is the same I got from asking other smaller scale mini painters. You aren't painting a soldier, you are painting an army, don't dwell on the small stuff too much. It is hard for someone who is used to seeing the trees and not the forest, but it came together once the first base of 6 was in front of me.

Now to speed the process up and finish the unit!

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 13, 2013

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

IrvingWashington posted:

Nice work! What basing material are you using? The mossy stuff in particular looks like it would come in handy for a lot of my bases.

The green mossy stuff is Woodland Scenics Fine Turf Green Grass (T45), the ballast is just extra fine generic from the local train hobby shop, and some grass tufts from army painter.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Did I only get 1 point for the Jurnol for missing something? Figured I got time to correct if so.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
For the Diorama, does it need to be oathed, or just pics pre and post painting are fine (maybe a few WIPS)?

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
perfect, just wanted to make sure I didn't need to finish it in one month, heh.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I Mr. Booger Oath this lot of 15mm goodies for June:

figured last month went well, so let's get more ambitious.

10 Sons of thunder - Rebel Miniatures
1 wheeled tri-barrel autocannon - Ground Zero Games
1 Grav Tank with converted tank commander - Ground Zero Games/Rebel Minis
1 wheeled Scout missle APC - Ground Zero Games
1 grav APC - custom MicroPanzer model

all 15mm (Sons of Thunder are dwarves so about 10mm tall)

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

ineptmule posted:

EDIT: Might as well use this post to make my new oath! I oath 9 stands of 15mm miniatures and one piece of 15mm terrain. There are 5 stands of rough-looking militia and 4 fallout-style super mutants which each have their own base. These miniatures are from Khurasan.

Khurasan is quickly becoming my favorite new manufacturer, everything I get from them is very nice. Them and Rebel Minis have opened my eyes to 15mm (mainly non-historical). Quality stuff and fast shipping, sometimes it sucks to be in the Midwest when everything you want is made in England, to have 2 of the better 15mm sci-fi makers within a few states is wonderful.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
:siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:
Ground Zero Games/Rebel Miniatures/MicroPanzer 15mm Sci-Fi
- Themed Group
- Battle Damage (Jurnal)
- Parts list
- Double the Fun!

We got ourselves a Themed Group

And our poor scout APC got his headlight shot out for some Battle Damage

I am particularly pround of the little guys, they were fun and frustrating to paint at the same time. Sometimes hard to tell in the picture but that's 5 guys based on a 40mm round.

And a throwback to my 40K days, I made a little tank commander with a melee weapon.

Parts List:

Base/Body: Vallejo Dark Sea Grey ->Medium Sea Grey ->Light Sea Grey
Helmets/Vehicles panels: GW Fire Dragon Bright ->just adding white to highlight
Windows/Visors: Reaper Master Series Surf Aqua ->white to highlight
Gloves/Boots: Vallejo German Army Beige ->PP Menoth White highlight
Shiney bits: GW Leadbelchter->liberal amounts of Vallejo Air Chrome (mithril silver can eat it's heart out)
Bases: 40mm Rounds by Gale force Nine, coverd in Piedra Pomez (pumice/acrylic mixture)GW Vermin Brown-> PPRucksack Tan-> PP Menoth White Highlight
Tires: GW Chaos Black mixed with some Kantor Blue, adding VJ light Sea Grey to highlight
Oddz n Endz: GW Evil Sunz Scarlet->Blazing Orange->Frie Dragon Bright
Washes: Nuln Oil for the silver bits, Devlen Mud for bases
Grass Tufts by Army Painter (sorry I threw the label away along time ago, not sure which color)
Antannae: end bit of a guitar string
Axe: piece of brass rod, a tiny drill and small piece of a GW Necron staff

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 14, 2013

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I don't really have a game for them yet. I am working on my own rules and need some playtesting armies, so you will probably see their rivals in the next few months. Also I have a 'Mech and drones for them, combining models from about 6 different companies to make the armies how I want them to look. It's actually awesoem to have the freedom to get what you like the look of and then scour the interwebs for stuff that can fit in theme.

Future War Commander would work, or could base the infantry individually and play Gruntz or Sector 13.

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 14, 2013

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Heh, was curious how to do this as well. Alot of the stuff I am buying doesn't come in a box or have "official" art. but figure I have enough other junk laying around I can make it work.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I, Mr.Booger, Oath 12 Baccus ACW confederate cav (6mm) and 1 GW Necron (28-30mm)

cutting up the necron, will add conversion pic once done.

Sword arm arm chopped off, sniper rifle turned into a SMG and added, shield removed and communications gauntlet added. also added some aerial fins, as I guess he is now a comms officer.

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 4, 2013

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
:siren: OATH COMPLETE!:siren:

Jurnal
Speed Painting
Backstory

Speed Painting----->

Backstory----->

His name is Tcho'Tek, and he remembers.

As soon as he awoke he knew there was something different, something wrong. The others all moved too uniformly, they would not reply to him, or even look at him when he spoke. At first he tried to blend in, follow the others mimicing their lock-step and not let his darting eyes be seen. Eventually though he was noticed, he started to turn to run but stopped. For someone to notice he was different, they also had to be differnt, maybe he was not to spend eternity locked in a metal coffin, surrounded by manaquins that sometimes moved from room to room.

And so he met the general, who also remembered.

Now he is a leader, charged with finding others like himself. Free-thinkers who can use instinct as well as the logic forced into their minds from the ones above. His men, he still calls them men, are a forward boarding force. They go where the others might not think to go, find the hiding holes and the traps laid before the army. For if you cannot understand fear, how are you to know what one who does would do, where they would go, and how willing they might be to fight back.

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 22, 2013

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Just FYI, you missed a free point by not putting your name in your photos. Update your photos and let me know you've done so and you can get that precious free point!

Oops, added name and Pm'ed you

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I know baccus is redoing their french line, how long ago did you buy them (might be from the older molds, which I think were starting to wear)

My brits were sharp and most of the ACW stuff I picked up is very crisp, but the covered wagons look to be an old mold as well.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I Mr.Booger Oath this tankette from Spartan Games and a tanker crewman from Zombiesmith (both 28mm), for when it ultimately blows up

holy Moses the 10th already, time is flying by this month.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
So I am trying out the "salt" weathering thing for the first time and it looks pretty decent, until overnight when the remaining salty residue frosted over and looks all white and splotchy (which would look like authentic rusting is not for the fact the model is tiny and the splotches massive). Any tips to reduce this for anyone who has tried this before.

Also realize now my rust color and my tank color are way to similar, so will need to figure a way of making it pop more anyway.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
dear god, its the 26th already, uh...guess I am painting tonight. what happened to August?

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Jurnal and Strike a Pose
28mm Zombiesmith and Spartan miniatures

Jurnal
rusty tankette and smokey barrel

Strike a Pose!
Rytt had just about enough of this war. Good thing he was only 2 days from the end of his tour, all he had to do is get through the next 48 hours and go back home to his kit an kin. The moth-wing wine would be much the sweeter from his own porch, instead of hold up with 9 other Quar in their trench bunker.
Of course that is when the orders came in, one more recon mission, there is always one more mission it seems these days. This time his luck had run out, just like his fuel. But the war was over for him now, by the time he got back to the trenches he would be a free Quar, or a dead one. Packing up his last termite hardtac and his trusty Doru SMG he started the treck back to camp. And was that thunder he heard on the horizon....

And my Quar tank driver for when it get all blown up.

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 28, 2013

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Ooh questions!

Trees: These are from a Chinese ebay seller that does tons of model train accessories, just look up model trees, you will find about 90% of the entries are from them. They are cheap as hell, I think I got a bag of 20 of them for $4.00, something like that.

Rust: I started with a quick rust color (some PP color that was a nice browny red) airbrush spray on the areas I planned to be rusted, not the whole model, just where I needed it.
- Then I did a quick matte seal, and took some water and tablesalt. Paint the water on where you want the rust and sprinkle it with salt, sometimes I just made a salt-mud and slapped that on as I am impatient.
- Next spray your tank color on, airbrush or light brushwork. You knock half the salt off and drop the tank at least once (this is key to the process).
- Once done, hold the tank under lightly flowing warm water and lightly brush off the salt, most of it will come off leaving a realistic pattern of rust splotches.
- *This step is optional* Realize your rust color and your tank color are the same hue and despair.
- Then take a bright orange color , water it down to almost wash status and apply it to the edges where the rust and tank color meet (I added some off-white as well to help push the difference). the quickly drying wash-paint should leave behind some fairly realistic looking oxidation patterns and it dries.
- Highlight with the same orange on the very tips and corners where fresh rust would be.

this was my first time doing rust, so I imagine there is a better way, but I learned alot, and think it came out pretty much looking like rust.

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 28, 2013

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
* wrong thread, I R SMRT

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I Mr.Booger, Oath 1 Vickers Medium Machine Gun and crew (British) for Septermber
28mm - Bolt Action (Warlord Games)

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
bah! I was doing so well this year, but I am sick as a dog and not going to paint the whole oath in a few hours tonight.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Where did you find the Welly truck, I have been looking for one of those (either the beer, tire, or bags variety) for a decent price for some time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
If you are already taking prize support for season 5, someone PM me where to send the goods, I recently moved and :drat: I have alot of stuff I never knew I had, and alot of projects that I bought stuff for that never got started.

• Locked thread