Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I, Under 15, swear a mighty and terrible oath to paint 20 Night Goblins, no matter how many lovely little shields they carry

(First time oath-swearer!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

They are, yeah. Sorry about that.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

krushgroove posted:

But these guys are easily my favorite!

When I first clicked the thumbnail I thought these guys were tank commanders or something. I had some doubts for a little bit, but now I'm completely certain they are tank commanders.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Under 15 posted:

I, Under 15, swear a mighty and terrible oath to paint 20 Night Goblins, no matter how many lovely little shields they carry

(First time oath-swearer!)

Oath Complete!

Journal WIP's:

Bases painted and some blocking in of colors on the shields and skin.

All colors blocked in, ready to move on to inking and such

Shields in varying stages of completion.

On the march, or something.

Since this is my first oath ever, I qualify for Aww, it's a Baby.
I can call this a themed group, right? They're all the same model type but they do make up a single unit. If not, I'll wait for next month, I'll have a bigger variety of models.

I also have one minor issue with my complete oath... I'd had one shield set aside for the champion (a lizardman shield) that was in my first picture, but almost immediately I decided it looked dumb and wasn't going to work so I swapped it out for a round shield that was larger than the standard goblin one. You can see this shield in the first WIP and the completed photo, so the switch happened before the project started. I guess if it's a big deal I could paint the shield from the original picture before tomorrow and take a picture of it, but I'd rather not.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I, Under 15, swear a great and terrible oath to paint this approximation of a GW Orc Boar Chariot. There will, of course, be Dino Damage, as decreed by this month's Jurnal.

(The barrel is getting primed over in a second, too lazy to strip it first.)

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Is this all GW, or did some other company make parts? Also is this a conversion? If so, be sure to take at least one photo after you've finished converting your models but before you paint.

It's all GW parts, yes. It's a conversion, but that picture is as assembled as it's going to get before I paint it... kind of a bitch to paint once it's all put together. I'll have documentation of what's been changed when I post the finished pictures, but I can do it now if it helps.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Sole.Sushi posted:

Gimme a shot of that barrel after priming it, with a timestamp, and we're good.

Ugh, missed this post, been painting for a week now. Here's what that barrel looks like now:

I took two pictures since I couldn't get a decent shot of it in front of a screen. I primed the thing white to paint it purple and blue.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Oath Complete

This is my boar chariot! It's Converted and has Battle Damage, as per this month's journal.

This Stegadon's been through a rough time. It has wounds on its crest and belly that have been crudely stapled shut, and are purple with infection. It also has a spear lodged in its side that nobody dares to pull out. The new crew keep their dinosaur in line by feeding it from a barrel of magic mushrooms, but one of the many side-effects is that blue goop is running from its eyes, nostrils, gums, and open wounds.

I don't have a before image of my oath, pre-conversion... this is the box art for the regular model. It's very different.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I, Under 15, swear a mighty oath to paint five orcs and Grumlok, all GW models.

My entry for the Journal this month is the face-masked orc who is reporting to his boss; I wanted to make an orc that was prostrated or kneeling but that poo poo was impossible with these models. Seems like orcs aren't made to do that! Anyway, with this fellow, his neck had to get cut up a bit to get his head to turn far enough, his left hand has been cut at the wrist and rotated so he can rest it on his knee, and his right hand has been cut and rotated so he can lean on his knuckles. That shoulder had to be built up a bit as well, since that arm isn't supposed to sit like it is. Here is a before shot:

The right arm was originally holding a spear as well, but that had already been cut off somewhere along the way.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

OATH COMPLETE

Under 15 posted:

I, Under 15, swear a mighty oath to paint five orcs and Grumlok, all GW models.

My entry for the Journal this month is the face-masked orc who is reporting to his boss; I wanted to make an orc that was prostrated or kneeling but that poo poo was impossible with these models. Seems like orcs aren't made to do that! Anyway, with this fellow, his neck had to get cut up a bit to get his head to turn far enough, his left hand has been cut at the wrist and rotated so he can rest it on his knee, and his right hand has been cut and rotated so he can lean on his knuckles. That shoulder had to be built up a bit as well, since that arm isn't supposed to sit like it is. Here is a before shot:

The right arm was originally holding a spear as well, but that had already been cut off somewhere along the way.

More yellow orcs to follow the post earlier this page, I guess...

Much better shot of the two models that matter, Grumlok the Warboss and my Jurnal model, which was necessarily a conversion. The six of them form a themed group.

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 31, 2013

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Would stained clothes count for weathering, if they were stained pretty clearly?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I, Under 15, oath the following:

Three GW Warhammer Fantasy Night Goblin Fanatics and one Night Goblin Shaman

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Can I add to an existing oath, still?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Oath Complete!

The weathering is all the blue mushroom stains on their faces, hands, knees, and feet.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Yeah, I don't have any bonus points to hand out this month, but goddamn.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

TarDolphinorShark posted:

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

This guy looks a million times better in person. It is one of my favorite things I've painted so far. The subtle blue gray undercoat on his fur doesnt really show up very well in the pictures. The rust effect also looks a heck of a lot better in person as well. All in all I am pleased and had a lot of fun painting this guy.

Use a light box instead of a banana box next time.

That model is really cool and I want a bunch of them to use for squigs!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I, Under 15, oath to paint one GW Warhammer Fantasy Giant for September.

Included is a halfling snack and pet wolf.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Oath Complete!

The Jurnal for this month is his :h: Mom tattoo. I'm really proud of this dumb bastard, I think he's probably the best model I've ever painted.

For this month, he's going to Strike a Pose!

Brynjolf the Giant fluffed his tiger as he drifted through the foggy haze of his hangover. Up above, the sun peeked out from behind a cloud and lit up his face, causing his head to pound even worse than when actual goblins pounded on it. He pulled up his enormous black blanket over his head and breathed heavily beneath it as the orange wolf squirmed out to bask in the sunlight. There, curled up in a ball, the giant came as close as it ever did to introspection.

Today, he thought about the tiger. Brynjolf was excited about the tiger because it seemed as though it could become a good friend. Long-lasting friendships involving giants are, of course, uncommon, but it didn't stop the giant from daydreaming about it. So far, the good temper of the orange wolf, along with its durability when thrown or fluffed had seen it through in one piece. Brynjolf wasn't sure how long it had been since he met his tiger; that part escaped him. He thought long and hard about about it, but paused when he realized nothing was bothering or interrupting him. With a groan, Brynjolf sat up and looked around. It was quiet, and while the constant, obnoxious ruckus in the Orc camp was something he didn't notice anymore, the calm silence had caught his attention.

Everyone was gone.

Angrily, but carefully (from experience!) Brynjolf got up to his feet, and looked around. The wolf rolled over on its back to him. Brynjolf wasn't in the mood to pet his tiger, though - those gits had left him behind again. Grabbing his blanket and club, the giant stalked off after the greenskins to give them a good beating.

Also gonna Double My Fun and do some In Battle!

Gotta fight these gits just about every day.

These ones are fun. Throw 'em as far as you want, they never break!

Not sure what these ones even wanted, but I won anyway.

These ones are best! Bring the horse right to ya.

This time was bad, got lost...

Real lost

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I, Under 15 oath the following:

6 GW Orcs
5 GW Night Goblins
1 Ral Partha Orc

I don't know exactly what the Ral Partha orc is from, I think that Crucible game they tried to put out a long time ago? Anyway, I'm going to try to speed paint it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Speed Painting Completed!

This guy is goofy as hell. Good think BSB's are S4, he needs all the help he can get lugging that thing around.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

You are missing the World Time Server in your speed painting photos.

Oh, well, poo poo. I figured it would be the same as a completed oath where the time stamp on the post would suffice. If I'd been home I could have taken a new picture within the 24 hour limit, but that went by a few hours ago.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Oath Complete!

They comprise a Themed Group. The Jurnal is the big-rear end pink rock, if you missed that somehow.

I think, after seven months, I finally have a process down for painting these guys. Hopefully my last few oaths can be bigger.

EDIT: Might as well do a Parts List this month, since it's relatively straightforward.

Skin:
Apple Barrel Leaf Green (basecoat)
Apple Barrel Kiwi (overcoat)

This is really simple, slop on some basecoat and then get everything but the low areas with the kiwi.

Shirts:
Apple Barrel Wild Iris (basecoat)
GW Druchii Violet (ink)
Apple Barrel Wild Iris (clean-up)

Hoods (Goblins) and Pants (Orcs):
Apple Barrel Purple (basecoat)
GW Drakenhof Nightshade (ink)
Apple Barrel Purple (clean-up)

Iron/Steel Stuff:
GW Mechanicus Standard Grey (basecoat)
GW Skavenblight Dinge (layer)
GW Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil (inks)
Ral Partha Medium Grey (highlight)

I'm not using metallic paints for this army, so it's a range of grays for me. I want them to look cartoony and metallics blow that look entirely.

Yellows:
GW Averland Sunset (basecoat)
GW Yriel Yellow (layer)
GW Nuln Oil (ink, for painted metal objects like armor and weapon hafts)
GW Orange Ink (ink, for fiddly poo poo with lots of small detail, like the bad moon shield)
GW Yriel Yellow (clean-up)

Wood/Bone:
GW Dryad Bark (basecoat)
Apple Barrel Brown (layer)
Agrax Earthshade (ink)
Apple Barrel Suede (overcoat for bone)

Leather and rope:
GW Bestial Brown
GW Desert Yellow
Apple Barrel Suede (whichever I felt like using)

Rotting body parts:
Apple Barrel English Ivy Green (basecoat)
GW Agrax Earthshade (ink)
Apple Barrel Sage Green (overcoat)

Teeth and fingernails:
GW Nuln Oil (for mouths)
GW Tanned Flesh (tongues)
Apple Barrel White (Tried a couple things but they just look better cartoony.)

Eyes:
GW Yriel Yellow (big dot)
Apple Barrel Black (pupil)

I try to make this the only black I use on the models.

Big-rear end Rock Totem:
GW Dryad Bark (base)
GW Terracotta (layer)
GW Tanned Flesh (layer, tongues)
GW Agrax Earthshade (ink)
GW Desert Yellow (teeth)
Apple Barrel White (highlights)

I mixed paint to get the rose color of the rock because I don't own any pink paint right now. It's mixed maybe 50/50 white/tanned flesh to get the base pink, and more like 75/25 for the highlights. Doesn't look quite like rose quartz, the way I intended, but it's still kind of cool.

Bases:
Apple Barrel Leaf Green (base)
GW Dryad Bark (base)
Apple Barrel Outdoor Brown (overcoat)
Mystery flock (enough to do the whole army, thankfully)

I use a different brown on the bases because when I did the first twenty I got it confused with the regular Apple Barrel Brown. I stuck with it because it would look a little blander with the same brown used so much on the models.

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 30, 2013

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

For the purposes of box art, does the model necessarily have to be unconverted and look just like the box? I've got the statue from a dark elf cauldron of blood, which is about three inches tall:

and I'm going to incorporate it into some stuff for my orcs. If I painted the statue as it appeared in the box art, would it qualify, considering it's going to be otherwise rather different looking?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I, Under 15, Oath the following:

Six GW Orcs
One GW Goblin
One GW Lobba

I'm going to speed paint the goblin, which is a Cop Out, but I did it last month with a real model so whatever.

EDIT: Oath addition, 11/19. GW Snotling Pump Wagon

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 20, 2013

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Speed Painting Complete!

I wish I had a better camera. Mine is so old and this little guy was a bitch to photograph. Now he's out of the way and what's more, documented properly, unlike last month.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Oath Complete!

Detective's Jurnal is the fabulous beard on the kung-fu Orc. These guys are a Themed Group.

Whoever painted two of those catapults last month is a masochist; what a horrible model to paint. Too many goddamn rivets.

OATH COMPLETE AGAIN

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 27, 2013

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Thanks! I tried to convert the model into a Fist of the North Star-like jump-kick but GW orcs are so wildly out of proportion that it was impossible. Not to say that Kenshiro is particularly in proportion, either...

Since it's only the 19th, I Gotta do this bonus style and add on this GW Snotling Pump Wagon. It's been sitting on my desk for months, primed and ready to go.

If I remember right I'm supposed to edit this into my original oath post too.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

OATH COMPLETE AGAIN

Pump wagons are fun to paint.

Can I make an oath addition of a diorama despite the date? I imagine it's okay since the diorama doesn't have to be finished until the end of the season. If so, I, Under 15, oath this looted statue of Khaine as my diorama entry for season 4.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Under 15, I need you to post your Oath Complete with everything you oathed this month. I don't want to track multiple Oath Complete posts through a given month. It's fine to edit this post, or post a new one, just get photos of all the stuff you did all in one place for me please, and then let me know.
Added to the original oath complete post.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&pagenumber=88&perpage=40#post422097180

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I, Under 15, oath the following models:

5 GW Goblins
2 GW Orcs
1 GW Spear Chucker

Probably more to follow later, but I might have to move mid-month so I want to keep it simple for now.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I, Under 15, am adding to my December Oath:

5 Warhammer goblin wolf riders, Marauder Miniatures (someone go back in time and get a sponsor prize from them! :black101:)
1 converted Warhammer Empire mortar

This mortar is converted to be a doom diver catapult. It looks a little weird in the picture color-wise because I forgot to clean the mold lines off of it before priming. It's supposed to look more like this:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

The model kind of has a ninja turtles vibe to it.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Oath Complete!

These guys are a themed group, as always, and the doom diver is a conversion as mentioned earlier. I haven't used metallic paints at all, so I guess that qualifies for the jurnal; the mortar has the effect the best, I think.

Under 15 posted:

I, Under 15, oath the following models:

5 GW Goblins
2 GW Orcs
1 GW Spear Chucker

Under 15 posted:

I, Under 15, am adding to my December Oath:

5 Warhammer goblin wolf riders, Marauder Miniatures (someone go back in time and get a sponsor prize from them! :black101:)
1 converted Warhammer Empire mortar

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 31, 2013

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I, Under 15, Oath the following models for January:

1 GW Orc
6 GW Night Goblins

I don't know how good of a job I'm going to do with OSL. I can barely highlight normally.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Wow, never thought I'd win any points for my models. Time to step up my photography game for the rest of the season!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I, Under 15, hereby add more models on to my oath:

4 GW Night Goblins

I painted up my OSL model but since he's in a regiment, I need to do OSL on the guys who will be next to him to match!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Oath Complete!

OSL is on my badass lantern squig. I was going to make it subtle but then I decided to go hog-wild, and was forced to drag two more models into the Jurnal to make it look right.
I'd like to claim Fly Your Flag on the banner, since painting your own banners is a bitch, it turns out.

I also completed my Diorama:

It's going to be unit filler for goblins, although it probably took a lot longer for me to paint than the twelve goblins it replaces. I'd like to try to claim Box Art on the diorama, since I did my best to replicate the marble/gold effect on the statue (albeit without metallic paint...)

I wanted to paint the cracks on there but I just couldn't figure it out. I still don't understand how they did it, I tried three or four different methods. Still, I like the results, and the statue is bigger than most models anyway, so I hope it will be fine.

EDIT: They are also obviously a Themed Group

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 31, 2014

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I, Under 15, hereby oath the following:

12 GW Warhammer Night Goblins
1 piece of unit filler

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

OATH COMPLETE

I'd like to claim them as a Themed Group and get my point for Backstory:

Following the release sixth edition, and the discontinuation of the winds of magic deck, captured dice are becoming an ever more common sight in night goblin units. Such dice are usually deployed by the night goblin units in support of their shamans or to get extra distance from fanatic releases. This band of night goblins has captured a paintbrush, allowing them to add extra pips to their captured dice, increasing their combat effectiveness. Extra care must be exercised when playing against an opponent who uses night goblins, as they tend to congregate in casualty piles off to the side of the board. Generally, to minimize such 'cunnin jiggery-pocky' the best policy is to leave the night goblins alive on the table where you can see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Two questions, while we're on the topic of the spreadsheet.

First, can I pick up my point for Box Art? I think you didn't award it immediately because you wanted to consult with Krushgroove.

Second, what is the tenth grand prize? I see the ones on the list: the two badger sets, the KR multicase, the three goon prizes, the dropzone commander box, the gift certificate, and the zombie dice, but that's only nine. I know the mura miniatures thing is for people who painted small-scale models, but is the grab bag the last prize?

• Locked thread