Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath that I will paint 6 Riders of Rohan (not official) from Copplestone Castings 10mm fantasy line for the month of May!

Awwww! a BABY! First-time oathing? You get a point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Oath Complete!

The Detektuv’s Jurnal
I've never painted horses before so I started out with a few test colors. Apple Barrel Chocolate Bar is a reddish brown I use a lot for dirt and I thought it would be good for horses. Plus I wanted a few lighter ones that were cinnamon and then one black horse.

I then experimented with washing them using strong tone for the dark brown (chocolate bar), light tone for the cinnamon, and dark tone for the black that had a dark grey highlight applied first.

Usually I do base colors (pic 1) and then slop a heap of strong tone on the whole thing which is really shiny because it's not quite dry (pic 2). I'm still experimenting though. My goblin figures seem to look good with a bright highlight after the strong tone wash, gives them sort of a cell shaded look. Even just a bright dab of green on their head looks good at tabletop height and makes such small miniatures really pop in their tight ranks. I'm not sure I want to do that with these guys, might decide they need brighter helmets. Also, that spear looks really big in the close up photo but looks pretty good down on the table.

Here they are all done attacking some orcs! These aren't the brightly colored goblins I mentioned earlier but some darker toned black orcs but I think they got a little to dark. Might have to do more highlighting all around but sometimes I like them sometimes not. Depends on lighting and my mood.

Parts List

From left to right: cinnamon, chocolate bar, green isle (capes), fresh cut grass (shields), bark brown, spice brown, country maple, suede, white, basic fleshtone, cocoa, walnut. I also used the golden yellow towards the back.

Army Painter washes are really handy.

I use washers for my bases and Aleene's tacky glue to apply red lizard sand from the pet store which are then painted with Apple Barrel chocolate bar and a dry brush of Apple Barrel Nutmeg with some white added to taste. The flock is sawdust mixed with grass green from liquitex basics line plus a few flakes from another color I can't remember.

Hand me my bottle because Awwww, a BABY!

10mm is a fun scale to work in because it is big enough for some nice details but you can still get that army scale feel and all with out breaking the bank.

Illudere fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 31, 2013

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath that I will paint the original (they've since been resculpted) starter box for Thaniras Elves from Spartan games for the month of June! The set consists of 10 ships in all including 6 frigates, 3 cruisers, and 1 battleship. The scale is 1/600.

Illudere fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 6, 2013

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Oath Complete!

Themed group!

I like the way the sails turned out but the hulls are a mess. Good enough for now and I move on to the orc ships next month.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath 10 Gondorian Spearmen in 10mm from Copplestone Castings.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005

Illudere posted:

I, Illudere, oath 10 Gondorian Spearmen in 10mm from Copplestone Castings.

Journal - I decided to change the spearmen to swordmen. I thought, "How hard could making a sword out of green stuff be? It's like a flat stick." It didn't turn out well so I decided to make a mold with sculpey using a sword cut from a warmaster figure and then cast the swords in sculpey.

Oath Complete

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath an Orc Raider starter fleet consisting of 1 battleship, 3 cruisers, and 6 frigates. These miniatures are Spartan Games Uncharted Seas in 1/600th scale. I also oath 2 war elephants with howdahs from Eureka Miniatures in 10mm scale.

I meant to do the ships last month but slacked off.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005

Illudere posted:

I, Illudere, oath an Orc Raider starter fleet consisting of 1 battleship, 3 cruisers, and 6 frigates. These miniatures are Spartan Games Uncharted Seas in 1/600th scale. I also oath 2 war elephants with howdahs from Eureka Miniatures in 10mm scale.

I meant to do the ships last month but slacked off.

Savin Da Whales Oath

I bit off more than I can chew and so to alleviate a tiny shred of shame I'm going to save the whales on this one.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath one young fire dragon from Reaper's bones line in 25 mm.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Oath Complete

Sorry my name text isn't very clear though it looked fine before I uploaded it. Also didn't attempt the journal. Painting these larger models is much tougher than my little 10mm guys.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Did you finish your Savin' da Whales attempt?

Was it due by the end of the month? I'll post it anyway now.

I've saved da whales!?

Those ships took a lot longer than I expected. I like the way the colors turned out on the ships and elephants.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Thanks for your mercy on the Whales post krushgroove! Hopefully I won't have any more whales to worry about.

Illudere fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 3, 2013

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005

krushgroove posted:

Thank Leperflesh, not me :)

Sure. Thanks Leperflesh!

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath Medusa and Khael Stonekindle, both Reaper bones figures in 28mm. Also a gladiator from Pegasus Hobbies in 20mm.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/t9pTjCk.jpg :nws:

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Oops the lighting was even worse than I thought but what with it being amnesty month and all hopefully its alright? It's also a very large picture if you view it on a pc at full resolution. Does nudity not need to be nws'd in this forum? Thinking more of the finished model than retroactively.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Here is a better lit shot of the boobs in question.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/ua43ka4.jpg :nws:

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Oath Complete!

Linked for topless Medusa.
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/AqWzJmK.jpg :nws:

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, would like to oath 15 Elvish riders on stags from Eureka Miniatures in 10mm.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath Mia Hartstorm and mount from Reaper miniatures in 28mm plus an archery target.

I also oath a Save Da Whales oath of fifteen elvish stag riders. Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&userid=73175#post422212464

The Save Da Whale rules seem to imply that regular oath complete photos and save da whale oath complete photos need world time server in the photo. Is that correct?

Those stag riders took way to long to finish.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That's correct. Are those guys done now? If not, just include them in your December Oath Complete post, but clearly labeled as for Whales and with the link to the original (just as you've done here).

If they're done, let me know and I'll credit you for them now.

They are done!

krushgroove posted:

The timestamp on this is a week old...can you please take a fresh picture with a timestamp? It doesn't matter if you've got paint on the models already.

I thought it just needed to be shown to be unpainted in December. :blush: I don't currently have the model it has gone out as a Christmas present (yay for deadlines). Oh, well, I'll share the completed pics just to show them off.

Edit: December Oath Complete!

This one has the target in focus:

Illudere fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 25, 2013

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath 16 gladiators from Pegasus Hobbies in 1/72 scale.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Oath Complete!

Well, the bases aren't done and no journal but they're painted.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath 10 Persian archers from Pendraken miniatures in 10mm.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Oath complete! No journal.

Looks like I messed up and mixed up some different Persians from Pendraken miniatures. The third from the left is different than the others... and a better sculpt.

Needed these guys to crew my elephant:

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

An item chosen from several lots of game stuff from The Troll Trader goes to: Illudere!

Is it to late to claim this prize? If not, is krushgroove's email address listed any where?

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath 8 Persian archers by Pendraken in 10mm and 33 dwarves from Games workshop in 10mm.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Oath Complete! No journal.

These dwarf miniatures aren't really meant to be based individually and a few lost arms when I was cutting them apart.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere oath the following in 10mm from Pandraken miniatures: 20 zombies and 15 mounted knights. I also oath a 10mm Games Workshop elf on eagle.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

And the winner:
Saver of da Whales: 1d14 4
Illudere! Congratulations Illudere, you win!

Woo hoo! Email sent.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I still owe Illudere some choices for the Whales prize - sorry Illudere, it's been pretty chaotic at home and I don't want to half-rear end it.

The pressures only growing!

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Wow, I can see why it took some time to get that written up. I like the proportions of the D&D minis in option C and they are as old as I am, which is fun. That giant snake in set D is cool. I think the minis in option A look the most fun to paint with some good variety and the female giant #2 in that set is my favorite mini out of all the options so I'll choose option A!

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Whales prize received! Thank you Leperflesh, I'm looking forward to oathing some of these next month. Also, thanks for tossing in the bonus minis.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I got my grab bag prize. Thank you!

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I didn't sign for my package but someone in the household may have. There wasn't any glue in the bottle. Was it like that when you packaged it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Ah, I see. No worries.

• Locked thread