Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Here we go!

I, Red Shoe, oath 6 Press Gangers for May
These are Privateer Press models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
I oath these additional models for May!

Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker
Professor Viktor Pendrake
Trollblood Battlegroup consisting of Madrak Ironhide, 2 Troll Impalers, 1 Troll Axer

These are all Privateer Press models.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: I add the following models to my May oath: 10 Death Guard (Games Workshop), 1 Mind Flayer (Reaper), 1 Dire Troll Mauler (Privateer Press) :siren:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: One more oath for May! I add an Archangel to my oath :siren:
This is a Privateer Press model.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Group shot!

I decided to combine my Parts List and Detektuv’s Jurnal into one tutorial:

Also, that was Speed Painted and should qualify for Double the Fun.

Death Guard, which qualify as a Theme:

And finally, the model that I can't even photograph with a white background properly: The Archangel!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
My sleep suffered slightly this week from that Archangel. I was planning to get most of the work on the flesh done with an airbrush but in my youthful innocence of last week I didn't realize how defined the musculature was, so it ended up being a painstaking paintbrush project.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: For June I oath two Vanguard Light Warjacks :siren:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: I add an 12 Bane Thralls including an officer and standard bearer to my June oath. :siren:
These are Privateer Press minis.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: I add 2 Nurgle Heldrakes to my June oath. :siren:
I cannot take credit for the conversion work, it was done by talented forums member BuffaloChicken. I'll reiterate in the oath complete post so I don't receive undue credit!

These are converted from Games Workshop models.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Germ posted:

Holy crap, but those are gorgeous! I can recognize Blight Drone and are those Tervigon bellys? Any way we could get a complete bits list? Really looking forward to seeing these painted!

You have most of it already! The only parts you are missing are fly components from the new Plague Drone kit.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: I add the following to my June oath: Rocinante, 1 light 'jack wreck marker, 3 heavy 'jack wreck markers :siren:
These are all Privateer Press.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: For my final June oath I add: 1 Mule and 1 Rover :siren:
These are both Privateer Press.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: Oath complete :siren:

Bane Thralls:

These qualify for Box Art.
They are also a themed unit.

Vanguard Warjacks:

These show plenty of battle damage for the monthly theme.

Rocinante, the blingiest of the warjacks:

Mule and Rover warjacks, surrounded by the mangled bodies of their fellows:

The wrecks count for I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01.

Nurgle Heldrakes, too large to be contained by a mere 8 1/2x11 backdrop.

These fantastic conversions were done by forums member BuffaloChicken. My contributions are the paint and bases.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Leperflesh posted:

EVERYONE

With the exceptions noted in this post, I believe I'm now caught up for June. Please check your points on The Spreadsheet and make sure you've received credit where it is due. Now is the time to speak up, before judging happens and prizes are awarded. There's a ton of bookkeeping for this thread, so I'm bound to make mistakes... only you can save me from them.

An amazing amount of work done this month guys, I'm blown away as always by the quality and the variety of your modelwork. Great job!

I am missing credit for I rolled a 6... from my wreck markers. Everything else looks good for me!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: For July I oath: Broadside Bart, Bloody Bradigan, Gunner Dougal, a Slayer Helljack, and all of Wrath of Ashardalon including: :siren:
Ashardalon(dragon), 5 heroes, 7 orcs, 4 kobolds, 1 beholder, 3 cultists, 1 rage drake, 3 cave bears, 1 otyugh, 3 giant snakes, 3 grell, 4 duergar, 3 legion devils, 3 gibbering mouthers

I hope that's everything. Ashardalon is a Wizards of the Coast board game. Bart, Bradigan, Dougal, and the Slayer are Privateer Press.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Leperflesh posted:

Is this 28mm scale?

Yes it is!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Thank you to all the judges!

Sushi, my secret to painting a large volume is that I have a good idea of where I can take shortcuts with minimal effect on overall quality. For example, on the Bane Thralls you posted I didn't do any blending on their wraith-like lower bodies. It was just 3 quick layers of overly bright turquoise, then I washed them with Nuln Oil which toned down and blended the colors in a single step. I usually take my time on character models but any cut corner on a large unit saves a lot of time.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: Additional oath! Croe and 9 Cutthroats, Orin Midwinter, a giant skeleton, gravedigger, ghostly armor, pirate dwarf, and gentleman dwarf. :siren:
Croe's Cutthroats and Orin are Privateer Press, the rest are Reaper.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Red Shoe posted:

:siren: Additional oath! Croe and 9 Cutthroats, Orin Midwinter, a giant skeleton, gravedigger, ghostly armor, pirate dwarf, and gentleman dwarf. :siren:
Croe's Cutthroats and Orin are Privateer Press, the rest are Reaper.

Here is my entry for the monthly theme:

A closeup of the dwarf in front, with a tragically bent sword.

Replace it with a brand new (and straight) blade...

And now he is a proper Searforge Trader in the Iron Kingdoms, complete with Mechanika weapon.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Leperflesh posted:

That's no dwarf! That's just a burly pirate! But nice work.

Build of a dwarf, height of a human. Truly a mystery of modern times.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: I add Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator and the Black 13th to my July oath! :siren:

These are both Privateer Press.

:siren: I also make an Alternate Universe Oath of 3 Defilers, 2 Ripjaws, 2 Deathrippers, and 2 Nightwretches :siren:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Oath Complete!

First, this month's log entry. Like many others I wasn't enthusiastic about cutting up a model for the sake of it, but then I stumbled across this unfortunate fellow from my Bones shipment:

Wrath of Ashardalon. There were so many minis in this board game!

Some Privateer Press minis:

Croe's Cutthroats are a Themed Group

And some Reaper Bones!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: I am starting off August with the following oath: 1 Journeyman Warcaster, 1 Necrotech, 7 Scrap Thralls, a Long Gunner Lieutenant and Standard Bearer, 5 Skinwalkers, and 1 Skinwalker Alpha. :siren:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

krushgroove posted:

Alright folks, here's the July Oath Complete selection! https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/5910611039869383297?authkey=CLDM1ZCr9LTrjQE

:siren: HOWEVER :siren: there is 1 photo missing, so please have a look through this and see if your Oath Complete photo is missing! Some of you submitted just one photo, so if your photo is missing then you're missing out on getting judged.

I'll give everyone a couple of days, then I have to let the judges have their say.

It looks like I'm missing more than one of my oaths last month. I didn't see these any of these entries:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: I add a Freebooter, 6 Gun Mages, a Gun Mage Officer, and a Gun Mage Captain Adept to my August oath :siren:

Red Shoe fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 14, 2013

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:2 more oaths for August! Fiona the Black and an Iron Golem:siren:
Fiona is Privateer Press, the golem is Reaper.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Starting with this month's log, this Freebooter has suffered just a bit of wear while at sea:

These Skinwalkers are a themed group:

And more oaths:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
It is fairly simple, actually! I paint the water portion of the base with Exile Blue and then blend in wavy lines of Menoth White Highlight while the blue is still wet. After sealing the complete miniature I will outline where I want the water to go with water effects + white paint for the foam, then fill the rest in with plain water effects shaped in an appropriate manner. The last step is to glaze the water>foam transition point with Exile Blue then drybrush the whole thing with white.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

You are in luck, I was planning to do WIPs for the Galleon I am painting next month.

counterspin posted:

I know I'm going to regret this, but Red Shoe, can I ask how much time you spent on your monthly oath. I just want to know what sort of input I'd have to strive for to get that combination of quantity and quality.

I feel bad saying this, but I didn't have all that much time for painting this month since I was gone all but one of the weekends which is when I do my longer stretches. I worked maybe 1-2 hours most weekday nights and painted Fiona over the course of about 6 hours on the weekend I was home.

This is the result of a lot of practice during which my projects took much longer, though. I use a lot of washes and layer my highlights with matte medium, I feel both can produce good results relatively quickly.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

krushgroove posted:

So about 10 hours a week minimum, plus several hours most weekends usually? Sounds pretty good. I have wondered how you get that mass of models done each month! I've got a laptop setup that I've gotten my girlfriend (oop, now fiancee) used too over time, so she's used to it now...sucker!!

Probably about 13 on average? The timing is spotty since painting time = podcast time, I will usually work for the duration of an episode then take a break for a while. I think my most productive few months was when I discovered Radiolab.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: I am starting off my September oath with Kell Bailoch and the Ragman. :siren:
These are Privateer Press.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: I add to my September oath: 1 Galleon, 1 Talon, 3 Villagers. :siren:

The Galleon and Talon are Privateer Press, the villagers are Reaper.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:I am adding Magnus the Traitor, a Mangler, Talon, and 2 Renegades to my September oath! :siren:
These are Privateer Press

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

krushgroove posted:

What kind of oath addition is this? Gotta Do This (finish by end of the month) or Alternate Universe (no time limit)?

Same question as above.

It's for this month. I said I was adding it to September!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
I've had my oath complete since the beginning of the week but the water effects on the Galleon's base are taking their time drying. It has one and a half days to get its act together before I may be forced to do some creative water painting.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Magnus and his battlegroup are a Themed Group. The freehand on the chainsaws and the dials on the boilers is for this months jurnal.

The base on the Galleon is my Get Based Out entry.

I have complied with last month's requests by documenting how to make not only the water base, but also the entire galleon in this post right here.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:For October I oath a Remorhaz, 5 Infernals, 10 Boomhowlers, and Sorscha:siren:
The Remorhaz is Reaper, everything else is Privateer Press.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: Additional October oath: 1 Stormblade Captain, Strangewaves, Jonas Murdoch, a Hunter, and a Squire. :siren:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Thanks, Bachtere!

:siren: Final oath for October: 12 Iron Fang Pikemen, an Extreme Destroyer, and an Elf Warrior :siren:
The first two are Privateer Press, the Elf is Reaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

This month's Jurnal entry.

Backstory of this odd group:
In the third month of 603 AR an Unorthodox Engagement Team was assembled by the Cygnar military and sent into the Llael wilderness to investigate a potential Khadoran incursion. What they found instead was the resurgence of a conflict begun hundreds of years in the past. Each member of the team would find their skills tried and their hearts tested by what was to be a simple search and destroy mission.

Themed Group

Khador section:

• Locked thread