Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Maybe I'll make it a year this time instead of just one month.

I, YF19pilot, oath that I will paint five (5) M-24 Chaffee tanks
From Battlefront/Flames of War, 15mm Scale for the month of May

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Quick rules clarification question (not sure if this has been asked/answered). I remember last year that vehicles/large models in a certain scale was considered equivalent of a larger scale. For example, using my oath, my 5 Chaffees would count as 5 28mm models instead of 5 15mm models. Is this still valid, or has this rule/exemption been removed?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Leperflesh posted:

Larger models at a small scale are definitely equivalent to smaller models at a large scale. It is difficult to write a perfect rule to cover this, though. The best approach is to post what you intend to oath and get it approved in advance. We are inclined to be quite lenient. This year the minimum oath is just one 28mm model, so it's very likely that whatever it is you want to paint is going to qualify.

I'm just trying to figure out if 5 Chaffees would qualify for the 'theme' bonus or if I should buy 3 more.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

YF19pilot posted:

Maybe I'll make it a year this time instead of just one month.

I, YF19pilot, oath that I will paint five (5) M-24 Chaffee tanks
From Battlefront/Flames of War, 15mm Scale for the month of May

OATH COMPLETE

Detektuv's Jurnal
Foist things foist, gotta get dat undacoat. And sum bananas. Good for energy.

Make it greener.

Oi! o'se dis oomie?

also...Parts List!
The Chaffees are from Battlefront's FoW UBX33 Chaffee Platoon
Paints Used:
Flames of War (The Army Painter) War Paint US Armor SP03 (used as base)
Vallejo Paints
887 Brown Violet
988 Khaki (Tank Commander)
955 Flat Flesh (Tank Commander)
886 Green Grey (Tank Commander)
DecoArt "Crafter's Acrylic" Black
Valspar Clear Satin

Some tools:
Microscale Industries MicroSol decal softener
Gale Force Nine superglue
The Army Painter Hobby Brush Starter Set
The Army Painter Plastic Assembly Set
and some files I bought from Harbor Freight

Edit: Apparently, this also qualifies for Double the Fun!; Detektuv's Jurnal and Parts List

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 23, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Leperflesh posted:

I am assuming that for this game, tanks normally aren't based, and therefore have given you the free point for basing since it'd be inappropriate, per the rules. Someone let me know if I got this wrong.

Tanks and armored vehicles (half-tracks, bulldozers, SPGs) aren't based in FoW. Most other vehicles are typically "optional" unless the model comes pre-molded with one (jeeps, trucks, bren carriers).

Leperflesh posted:

Also, I'm thinking due to the questions about model sizing that we may need to revise the rules for the themed group contest. The number of models needed in a group probably should be based on the models' size, rather than scale. That said, based on the current rules-as-written, your group does not qualify because at the 15mm scale you must have a minimum of 8 models.

ineptmule posted:

If they are 28mm long then you're good, as they're big enough that you can qualify with 5.

If they're smaller then you'll need 8.

The hull is only 25mm, but longer than 28mm if you include the barrel. That seems kinda cheesy, so I'll assume I'm out with this one.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

krushgroove posted:

I've rewritten the Double The Fun bonus to make it clear that it's 2 Detektuv's Jurnals, 2 One-Time Bonuses or 1 of each to qualify for the Double The Fun bonus :)

In that case I need to edit my submission for Double The Fun!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pierzak posted:

Regarding Detektiv's Jurnal, do I have to do it on every model I oath to count? Namely, can I oath 10 fantasy warriors as a themed group, paint the battle damage on 2 power armored troops for Infinity and get the points for everything?

Or can I just make one nicely wounded/scarred guy and call it a Journal?

I believe it was clarified with last month's Jurnal, that it had to be at least one model from your oath.

edit: I mean, yes, one model is okay as I understand it, but you can do more than one.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Sorry to double post, but

I, YF19pilot, do hereby oath the following: ten (10) Zvezda Panzer III G tanks (1/100 or 15mm) and one (1) Battlefront FoW Panzer IV H (also 15mm) for the month of June.

Let me know if the picture is okay. I know it's a little dark, but the picture with better lighting was kinda blurry, hard to read the date.

edit:

TheBlobThing posted:

Is paint chipping enough to qualify as battle damage?

I imagine paint chipping is considered 'wear' and not proper battle damage. But I'll leave that up to the judges.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 1, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Leperflesh posted:

I have the brands/manufacturers for your models down as "Zvezda" and "Battlefront" but I'm not sure if that's right. Can you confirm?

As Thundercloud already said, that is correct. The P.IIIs are made by Zvezda, and the P.IV by Battlefront.

Just wait until I start getting into PSC, Skytrex/Command Decision, Peter Pig, Quick Reaction Force, and if I get really ambitious, GHQ (6mm) and maybe a local company called Panzerschiffe (1/2400 warships). Really it's my goal to build a DAK force for as cheap as possible, loyalty to brands be damned.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

YF19pilot posted:

Sorry to double post, but

I, YF19pilot, do hereby oath the following: ten (10) Zvezda Panzer III G tanks (1/100 or 15mm) and one (1) Battlefront FoW Panzer IV H (also 15mm) for the month of June.

Making an Oath Addition of 1 Rasputina, 3 Ice Gamin, and 1 Ice Golem from Wyrd Miniature's Malifaux
These are all part of the Rasputina box;

Between this and the 10 PIIIs I'm painting in DAK colors, gonna have the themed group in the bag this month.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

YF19pilot posted:

YF19pilot posted:

Making an Oath Addition of 1 Rasputina, 3 Ice Gamin, and 1 Ice Golem from Wyrd Miniature's Malifaux
These are all part of the Rasputina box;

OATH COMPLETED!

DETEKTUV'S JURNUL: Panzer IV Ausf. H with battle damage!

'eres da fing. Dis battlewaguns gotz dez skurts on it.

Seems silly 'nough some git with a dress on 'is 'ting, but dez 'oomies gotz an idea.

See, rockets and wut not work like a flyin' plasma gun dat kills tanks.

Dis skirt is made of metal plates. Rocket hits skirt, rocket breaks skirt, doesn't kill 'oomie wagon, mechboy bolts on anotha skirt. Dis 'oomies alive thanks to 'is skirts.

Panzer III Ausf. G Themed Group

Rasputina and Co. another Themed Group if the previous one doesn't work

Lessons learned:
1) It is better to be patient and paint your tanks while they're in pieces rather than put them together for a game and end up breaking a track trying to pull them apart again.
2) About the only thing worse than my dry brushing is how quickly it killed my (cheap) brushes.
3) Don't pick up German tanks by the shurzen.
4) Red numbers don't turn out well on German Grey.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Leperflesh posted:

Wait, so, to represent battle damage, you... up-armored your tanks? That's cool, but I'm not sure how it addresses the monthly theme. Are any of the tanks' armor panels damaged?

The Panzer IV Ausf. H rolled off the German factories with the schurzen pre-mounted. It's a popular thing to take a miter saw and cut one of the panels out, like I did with this one. I just went a little further with drilling out some holes. If I really wanted to be lazy I just wouldn't have mounted the schurzen at all and it'd be 'historically accurate' as many a supply shortage could leave a tank in the field with no replacement panels. But, it's the equivalent of taking side-sponson heavy bolters on a Leman Russ and putting pock marks on those.

The Panzer IIIs are G models, which, as far as I know, never mounted shurzen (I think the L model was the first). I'm at a loss how to show battle damage on those without them looking like knocked out tanks, though.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Quick question. Would something like the following link work? Especially the Porsche Tiger with a Henschel turret (which has a PIV turret bucket) and the Bergepanther with a PIV turret.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=1777

I'm thinking of doing this for this month as it's a fun theme to do with the oddball command vehicles the 653. Schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I, YF19pilot, being of sound mind and spirit, do hereby oath to paint 1 'repurposed' Opel Blitz Truck and the German half of the Flames of War Open Fire! box set (2 PaK40s w/crew, 12 stands of Grenadiers (six 5x and six 4x), 1 Panzerschrek team, 5 command teams, and 3 StuGs); everything 15mm and from Battlefront

That's a total of either 24 or about 80ish models depending on how you count them.

Also, the repurposed Opel Blitz Truck will by my Cut and Swap entry. I built this truck almost a year ago (just never painted it) and I can't find a 'before' picture, but here's the stock photo from Battlefront:

And their spotlight article: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1856

It normally has a German crew with a German MG, and is meant for late war. But I've put in an Italian crew with an anti-tank rifle for a desert raiding force.

If the judges deem this not an acceptable entry for Cut and Swap, I will have another model later this month that I'll add to my oath which will fit the bill.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 3, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Leperflesh posted:

I'll be honest, it doesn't look like anything's been cut really. Just different guys in the back of the truck, with a different weapon?

Well, I did drill a hole to mount the machine gun on the roof, but fair is fair. And yeah, different guys with a different weapon (Italians in a German truck with Italian weaponry). I'll have the bits to do that bergepanther I posted in about a week, and I'll add that to my oath.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pierzak posted:

If they want to regain some honor at all, they shall convert and paint a Miniature of Shame (that is, something that appropriately (thread decides) reflects the dishonor of oathbreaking. In a very silly color scheme painted to a good standard). One miniature will suffice, given that completing two is beyond their meager abilities.

...or failing that, pizza hats :v:

I think including a picture of them in a silly hat with their Oath submission is a good way to regain honor. That or write a 100 word essay on titsmarines.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

krushgroove posted:

Yeah I'd say it is fine, even if we Can’t tell tiny Germans from tiny Italians! :)

Okay, that's cool. I didn't want to be the guy to muddy the lines, but cool is cool. I'm still going to do the Bergepanther once I get the parts for it, so I'll at least have one model that is clearly cut & swapped.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Bad weather plagued me at the beginning of the month, now I'm trying to nurse myself after a weekend riding atvs. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm going to declare my oath failed this month. Not enough time left for me to try to complete it. I guess once my muscles stop aching, I'll try to save da whales next month.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Leperflesh posted:

Tiny Troops: 1d176 65
Oh gently caress yes thank god we have a winner YF19pilot, You are the Winner!!!

YF19pilot painted some small things, mostly Battlefront but with other stuff mixed in, back in May and June. We may have lost him after that, but that's OK: complete even a single oath, and you might be a winner, that's how this contest works. Congratulations YF19pilot!

Sweet, awesome. It's my goal to be more consistent this next season. Let me know what you need from me.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
A package arrived!

Thanks lilljonas for the awesome prize of 6mm Samurai grab bag!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

lilljonas posted:

I'm happy you liked it. :3:

The Hot Dog Viking was like icing on the cake, too. Thanks!

• Locked thread