Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I was curious about that. It somewhat seems that [non-story relevant] monsters with lower stats seem to actually grow more than monsters with higher stats.

Is that just in my head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gensuki posted:

Also, I said games', not game's. Shimon is also in Duelist of the Roses. He's the intro character for the red rose faction, and a later boss for the white rose.

He uses...I think a stone golem deck.

Shimon, along with Haysheen (or Slysheen, or Heishin depending on the game) and Darknite/Nightmare were characters created for the early Yugioh games. However unlike the others Simon eventually made it into the manga/anime, he looks like Yugi's grandfather underneath his cowl because Yugioh had a thing for reincarnation.

Silver Falcon posted:

Thank you for this succinct explanation. I was always confused as all gently caress the few times I watched this show as to why Yugi's voice suddenly dropped a couple octaves and his hair got all crazy. (And I was too lazy to go and look it up!)

Well to be fair the anime starts around chapter 80 of the manga and assumes you know the premise already. While it's made clear early on that Yugi and Atem are separate people it takes until after the first season to get a concise explanation of who the other Yugi is supposed to be and vaguely where he came from because the manga already covered this pretty early. As for actually learning Atem's name and a getting fuller history of what really happened to him that came at the very end, one of the driving plotlines is finding Atem's backstory because he doesn't remember anything.

Also all the monsters showcased here actually have the base attack and defense they would in the card game which is a nice touch, but the RPG elements lets you improve their stats so a stronger monster may not stay that way. Also make sure to showcase Moisture Creature because that's complete bullshit to get.

As someone who actually unironically enjoys Yugioh and thinks its an excellent example of a goofy action anime I will be following this thread with interest.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Omnicrom posted:

Also all the monsters showcased here actually have the base attack and defense they would in the card game which is a nice touch, but the RPG elements lets you improve their stats so a stronger monster may not stay that way. Also make sure to showcase Moisture Creature because that's complete bullshit to get.

Yeah, this is another one of those little touches that's really cool. And yes, in a game filled with bullshit hidden monsters, Moisture Creature is the king of bullshit mountain. Now can we please stop talking about this sort of thing until we have some concrete stuff to point to? I'm going to get everything that doesn't require me to play the drat game six times, which happens to include MC.

E: Also, Chapter 2 is recorded. I'll get that edited tomorrow and hopefully we should have an update ready to go Monday or Tuesday.

Artix fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 5, 2013

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Omnicrom posted:

As someone who actually unironically enjoys Yugioh and thinks its an excellent example of a goofy action anime I will be following this thread with interest.

As someone else who unironically enjoys Yugioh (the original; the sequel series got really, reeeeeally stupid), I bought this game a few months ago and had fun with it.

Also, the Pharaoh straight-up murdered a few people in the first part of the manga.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

SystemLogoff posted:

Just a note: Time Wizard in this mode is not labeled in two areas of the guide. Make sure you don't almost miss him like I did.

Also, Kuriboh's a beast.

Actually, Kuriboh's a fiend. :rimshot:

Anyway, so far this actually looks like it might plausibly fit into the Yugioh Canon. You know, alongside the other two arcs where the main characters are trapped in an MMO. :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Huh.

Looked into the thread and expected the usual licensed crud, but looking at it, I kinda like parts of it.

Not "I would buy this game full priced" level of liking, or even "I'd play it for free", but some of the mechanics are interesting, the animation is nice, and there were some decent ideas.

Going to be following this.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I can't believe other people have played this game. I thought I was the only one!

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I can't believe other people have played this game. I thought I was the only one!

Well, 12-year-old me really bought it for the exclusive trading cards (as did everyone else I'm sure) but you know, I did buy the game so I might as well play it.

Then 12-year-old me actually played it, got bored and shelved it for 4 years. Fun times.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MelvinBison posted:

I guess Shimon was the the inspiration for that guy from Duelists of the Roses? Certainly looks like they reused the character design.

He was also in Dark Duel Stories under the name Paradox.

So was Haysheen, though he's been named Slysheen in every other game that he was in.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He was also in Dark Duel Stories under the name Paradox.

So was Haysheen, though he's been named Slysheen in every other game that he was in.

He was Heishin in the Japanese version, and they kept the name for Forbidden Memories.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ephraim225 posted:

Well, 12-year-old me really bought it for the exclusive trading cards (as did everyone else I'm sure) but you know, I did buy the game so I might as well play it.

Then 12-year-old me actually played it, got bored and shelved it for 4 years. Fun times.

My uncle got me it for my birthday. I actually liked it so much I got in to actual Yu-Gi-Oh. :downs:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I remember buying the game on release day, I was a Yugioh nut back then. The game seems impossible to get back into now, what with all the new types of cards though. It really looks like things got too complicated for their own good.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Momomo posted:

I remember buying the game on release day, I was a Yugioh nut back then. The game seems impossible to get back into now, what with all the new types of cards though. It really looks like things got too complicated for their own good.

If you never left, it's not hard at all. It was really gradual, like with pokemon. It's much harder to start up with it now though.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
I never played any of the Yu-Gi-Oh RPGs (closest I got was the GBA/GBC card games with wacky rules), so I'll be watching this one.

Do the early game monsters get outclassed by later ones, or can you use whatever you want for as long as you want without too much trouble?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Balk posted:

I never played any of the Yu-Gi-Oh RPGs (closest I got was the GBA/GBC card games with wacky rules), so I'll be watching this one.

Do the early game monsters get outclassed by later ones, or can you use whatever you want for as long as you want without too much trouble?

It's weird. Early game monsters are viable in endgame, but in midgame, they're outclassed and will usually be replaced before they can shine.

Also, some monsters are just better than others. Anything that shows up alot in the show is probably better than something like Shimon's Skull Servant

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Ephraim225 posted:

Yeah I got this for the exclusive cards as a kid. Then I actually played the game and loved it. I will admit I never got it to 100% because I was too dumb to look up any extra roaming monsters and thought the super team I had assembled for each character would be more than enough.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So in an effort to not have 15 screenshots of people moving, I was considering putting a map like this at the beginning of the update. Obviously there would still be screenshots saying when they move to keep a relative timeline, but I figure this will give a nice overview of my strategy and serve as a reference if you get lost between the same-y names. That work for everyone?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Artix posted:

So in an effort to not have 15 screenshots of people moving, I was considering putting a map like this at the beginning of the update. Obviously there would still be screenshots saying when they move to keep a relative timeline, but I figure this will give a nice overview of my strategy and serve as a reference if you get lost between the same-y names. That work for everyone?

Seems good to me. Explain what the characters are doing and why and an overview map works well. It sounds fairly similar to how you did your Fire Emblem LP honestly, giving only the highlights without spell where each and every person moves every turn.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MelvinBison posted:

I guess Shimon was the the inspiration for that guy from Duelists of the Roses? Certainly looks like they reused the character design.

Shimon was actually Pharaoh Atem's royal Vizier.
In current times, he's been reincarnated as Yugi's Grandpa.
The more you know!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Artix posted:

So in an effort to not have 15 screenshots of people moving, I was considering putting a map like this at the beginning of the update.

Looks fine to me.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Byzantine posted:

Also, the Pharaoh straight-up murdered a few people in the first part of the manga.

The ones he doesn't straight up murder he just leaves mentally or physically scarred for the rest of their lives. Basically he's loving awesome in the first seven volumes of the manga then becomes a complete wuss. The manga is still definitely better than the anime, and I do legitimately like it. No comment on the non-"Yugi and friends" series cause I don't give a poo poo about those.

As far as the card game goes, I played it when I was in middle school, but now I don't really care for all the new crazy poo poo. There are some cards I like and like collecting, but otherwise I've basically left the series alone ever since I finished reading R (and watching new episodes of The Abridged Series, naturally).

I have this game, got it when I was young and big into Yu-Gi-Oh and played the poo poo out of it. I'm almost positive I recruited every single monster, but there's one specific team of three you get towards the end of Yugi's campaign that I spammed my way through the whole game with several times over. It's almost disgusting just how broken that team is. I would basically have to book it to every enemy with them to make absolutely sure no one else got into any combat situation since I never bothered to level anyone else up.

Like I said, I loved this game as a kid and I like the direction this LP is going, I'll definitely be following it! For now, though, I definitely think the Blackland Fire Dragon needs to be in someone's team. Probably Yugi's, since he'll be your front line guy. Replace Feral Imp.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I never knew this game existed, and I was only ever mildly interested in Yu-Gi-Oh, but this is looking to be a fun game and an interesting(?) take on the series. Can't wait to see where this game takes us!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I loved Yu-gi-oh. It was such a cool show and really helped make the card game look fun as hell.

YGO GX grew on me eventually. You need to give it some time, it is extremely stupid and continues to be stupid throughout its run. But the protagonist's bone-headed optimism makes it work.

YGO original got dark and serious in places, especially with the villains' Shadow Games (erasing memories of loved ones, cutting off ankles with buzz saw blades, ripping apart people's souls, etc...).

YGO GX is a lot more ligh-hearted and fun. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to you. You need to give it a chance. It only clicked for me when the protagonist was challenged to a Shadow Game and his response was "AW gently caress YEAH SON"
And throughout the whole Duel he's losing life points and slowly disappearing and he is still loving this poo poo :kamina:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

I loved Yu-gi-oh. It was such a cool show and really helped make the card game look fun as hell.

YGO GX grew on me eventually. You need to give it some time, it is extremely stupid and continues to be stupid throughout its run. But the protagonist's bone-headed optimism makes it work.

YGO original got dark and serious in places, especially with the villains' Shadow Games (erasing memories of loved ones, cutting off ankles with buzz saw blades, ripping apart people's souls, etc...).

YGO GX is a lot more ligh-hearted and fun. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to you. You need to give it a chance. It only clicked for me when the protagonist was challenged to a Shadow Game and his response was "AW gently caress YEAH SON"
And throughout the whole Duel he's losing life points and slowly disappearing and he is still loving this poo poo :kamina:

Doesn't GX get hella emo and dark at the end though?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

YGO GX
YGO
YGO GX

Is one of these is supposed to be YGO 5D?

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MissileWaster posted:

The ones he doesn't straight up murder he just leaves mentally or physically scarred for the rest of their lives. Basically he's loving awesome in the first seven volumes of the manga then becomes a complete wuss. The manga is still definitely better than the anime, and I do legitimately like it. No comment on the non-"Yugi and friends" series cause I don't give a poo poo about those.

There's really nothing better then the Pharaoh playing a game of air hockey with an ice puck, an ice chipper for a mallet, a grill for the table and a vile of nitroglycerin in the middle of the puck.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Hey, know what this isn't? A thread about the Yu-Gi-Oh anime. Take it to ADTRW.

With Tsughut confused about what to do, the resistance plans to free a large agricultural village in the South.

Our success in freeing the Makhad area has strengthened the determination of the resistance. Let's strike the stores of the imperial forces while morale is high. The southern part of the island is mostly farmland, and the empire works most of the farmers like slaves. If we can free this area, all supplies to Tsughut will be cut off, and we'll gain a significant advantage. However, General Sebeckal, one of the fiercest generals in the regular imperial army, appears to be in the area. Sebeckal is a dangerous foe, well-known for his ferocity. I don't believe he has a large force with him, but we should still be careful not to make any mistakes!

And we're going to excise his next little tutorial.

When I attempted to LP this game before coming to SA, the words ‘the Empire strikes back’ in the briefing promptly caused an onslaught of Star Wars references. Let’s not do that here, hmm?

First of all, we've distributed our new monsters to Shimon and Fizdis. Note Fizdis's ability: We'll be putting it to good use this chapter.

Discount really is Fizdis’ best feature. She’s a terrible marshal otherwise.

I also distributed our goodies from last chapter. Blue Medicine comes in packs of 7 and heals ~30% of a monster's HP per use. Monster Reborn has one use, and will revive a fallen monster with 50% of its HP. Yugi and Fizdis grab our Blue Medicines, and Shimon takes the Monster Reborn.

Closer to 35% for the Blue Medicine, really. I’ll say why a little further on.

Yes, we seem to be lucky. The enemy doesn't seem to know that we're here.

Let's use this opportunity to take the fort and fortify a defensive position there.

Okay, let's get started. Mission 2 is a little longer and more complicated, but it's still relatively easy.

It’s a decent progression, I think. :)

But first, something new! In the bottom-right of each town, there's a trader portrait saying if he's in town or not. If he is, we can now buy items (like medicine, etc.) from him.

Sprite once again courtesy of Forbidden Memories.

This guy is selling the stuff we got last chapter, plus a Goblin's Secret Remedy, which removes status ailments with 3 uses. If the prices look a little weird, it's because we have Fizdis in town. Her ability is the absurdly useful Discount, which knocks 25% off the top of everything a trader sells. In any case, we pick up a pair of Blue Medicines and an extra Monster Reborn.

So here's the gameplan. Once we capture the unmanned fort, the center fort will send out someone to recapture it, which Yugi will handle. After taking care of him, Yugi will head to the southwest forest to get this chapter's roaming monster. Meanwhile, Shimon will take the southwest fort, and Fizdis will deal with the north one. They'll regroup in attacking the center fort, and then we'll march to the boss.

I look forward to the day Artix loses footage and has to show us MS-Paint Yugi.

You can see the immense difference between Yugi's ZOC with the Feral Imp and Shimon's with the Blackland Fire Dragon. You get pulled into battle if any part of your ZOC circle touches an enemy's, which can be both a blessing and a curse depending on what you're trying to do. Most often, you'll find it to be an annoyance, because if you have another walking monster, you have to go around it entirely or be stuck moving as fast as the first monster. Unfortunately, ZOC and movement speed are another pair that are usually in contention.

Fortunately, it won’t be too often that you’re sending two units along the same path together. Also, ZOC = Zone of Control, for those who aren’t aware.

And Yugi has reached his first destination.

We've successfully taken the fort from the enemy. The few guards that were here have run off. It won't be long before they learn of our attack and try to retake the fort. General Sebeckal's unit is powerful. What do you think of building equipment to increase the fort's defenses?

What do you mean by equipment?

Equipment are offensive and defensive additions made to a castle or fort that provide and advantage in battle. For instance, you could install a large cannon to fire at approaching foes or construct a barricade. [snip] Of course, each new piece of equipment costs money, so be sure to plan accordingly.

The other new mechanic this chapter is the Equipment menu. Each fort can have up to two things installed, and they all have their own benefits.

Equipment! It’s almost like this is a properly strategic RTS or something.

Anti-Air Cannons will knock off about 70% of a flying team's HP when they come in range. Its counterpart, the Anti-Ground Cannon, does the same for walking teams. One of the notable positives (perhaps the only one) about Swimming leaders is that they are not affected by either variety of cannon.

The reason that I was sure Blue Medicines were closer to 35% healing? Two of them will exactly heal up cannon damage, minus a single hitpoint if your monster lost an odd number of them. Oh, and cannons have a recharge time.

Barricades give the defending team an ATK/DEF boost in battle. The exact amount depends on what kind of fortification you build it in, but it's usually good for a 500 point boost.

By ‘what kind of fortification’, Artix means ‘how many stars it has’. Basically the same thing in practice, but worth pointing out.

Healers double the rate at which you heal over time, and allows you to pay for an instant full heal, at the cost of 1G per 1 HP.

Watch Towers double the range of Anti-Air and Anti-Ground cannons, but limits you to only one variety of cannon to make use of it.

Trade Unions force a trader to show up even if the town doesn't have one, often times with rare items and equipment that are difficult or even impossible to find otherwise.

Hope you know which shops have the stuff you want! It would be a shame to waste precious gold on opening a store you don’t need.

Finally, Supply Units allow you to use the "Replenish" command, which lets you restock items. So if Shimon uses his Monster Reborn in battle, he can get another one. All items are replenished automatically at the end of the chapter.

Replenishing medicine items is far, far more cost-effective than using a Healer. Takes longer to do the micro-management since you can’t use items while in a town, but can be useful to keep in mind.

I'm a fan of barricades, personally. They're cheap, don't have any recharge time, and they're pretty drat effective.

Can’t really go wrong with a barricade if you’re expecting company.

And victim number one makes his way down to the fort.

First, I need to apologize for a little misinformation. Night-Adept's offensive bonuses are only 100 ATK/DEF due to always being active at night. Location-dependent Adepts are worth 500 ATK/DEF. That aside, you can see the effect that our barricade and adepts are having. Both Celtic Guardian and Feral Imp are swinging for about 2000 ATK, compared to their usual ~1400. Even Kuriboh is up to 1000 ATK.

But the AI has learned a new trick: They brought their medicine too. We can deal with this one of two ways. The easy way (if you have the health to do it) is to just sit there and spam "Wait" until the monster with medicine is out of AP. This means the AI gets to pound on you first, so be careful about that. We can also do things the hard way and focus all of our fire on Zarigun right from the start. More likely than not, he'll get at least one dose in while we do it, but concentrated fire should bring him down without too many issues.

You can't read it because of where the camera decided to orient itself, but Kuriboh opened up with a crit. This entire run went ridiculously well, with a lot of crits and misses to my benefit. At one point, Shimon racks up 4000 points in a single skirmish thanks to a pair of crits and an enemy miss.

The only really notable enemy is this fucker right here. On top of being a tough son of a bitch to start with, he has the infuriating Castle-Adept. Castle-Adept gives you 500 ATK/DEF for fighting in a town, and is hands-down the best Adept ability in the game. With his 2100 ATK, he's swinging for anywhere between 200 and ~240 damage a pop.

Embodiment of Apophis is a good monster purely for being Castle Adept, but it will be forever and a day before the player gets one. The unmentioned third enemy is Kryuel, who is mostly uninteresting.

I always like to close out a fight by healing up a bit. Everything continues to run in real-time on the map, so while you can use items to heal there, that's time that you can't pay attention to something else, like if you have multiple fights going on at once and both teams need healing.

If you’re playing along, this is key advice right here.

All in all, we start things off on the right foot.

Unsurprisingly, this doesn't extend into a Round 3.

While I'm fumbling around with getting Yugi healed up, Fizdis reaches her destination.

The main threat here is the Uraby, having both the most AP and the highest ATK on the enemy team.

Naturally, I completely ignore it. :downs:

[b]:golfclap:[/b]

There's not much to really say about these in-between fights. I just focus on killing one monster at a time and we pick up a few levels on the side while we're at it.

The defeated monster here is Stuffed Animal, most notable for its creepy attack animation/sound effect.

Round 2 is a bit more productive for Fizdis.

Down goes the imaginatively named ‘Tiger Axe’.

While he's a pretty vanilla monster, Silver Fang does have some pretty good stat growths. ~50 ATK a level combined with his decent bases means he pulls his weight pretty quickly.

The final fight is a foregone conclusion.

After healing up a little, Yugi is headed off to the southwest forest for this chapter's roaming monster. FBK has yet to kick up to full-on rear end in a top hat mode when it comes to hiding them, and I'd say this one is pretty fair to expect the player to find. (That will change very shortly.)

Forests in seemingly unused parts of the map are always a good place to check for roaming monsters.

It should be noted that these things take place really close together. Like, I got kicked out of picking Yugi's route twice because of Fizdis attacking her village, and I decided to not even bother dealing with Fizdis until Shimon finishes off this guy.

This can be extremely annoying, particularly in this case where you’re trying to direct an unit somewhere other than a town.

I don't know why they gave this guy the upgraded sprite over all the other marshals, because he's not really that tough. While the Three-Headed Geedo and Midnight Fiend do both have 4 AP, neither is particularly sturdy, and the Dark Rabbit doesn't have enough AP to make up the difference.

Case in point, we're not even done with Round 1 yet and I've already killed both of his big hitters.

This is probably the easiest fight of the mission, really.

Way to go, Shimon, you overachiever. :golfclap:

Round 2 is just as bad of a bloodbath.

But! Shimon has found something very important. Legendary Sword is our first piece of equipment, which can be given to monsters for various effects, usually to increase their stats. Legendary Sword can be given to any Warrior for +500 ATK.

Try not to be tempted to give all your monsters +1500 ATK. Healing is important too!

And speaking of equipment, by building a Trade Union in Phothwo we can coax this fine gentleman out of the woodworks. Beast Fangs and the Book of Secret Arts function the same as Legendary Sword, but for Beasts and Spellcasters respectively. We don't have any spellcasters in our immediate future, so I grab an extra Legendary Sword and a set of Beast Fangs.

Delicious. Oh, and that reminds me... This is a Konami game, so it of course has their infamous code (up to the A, at least). Enter that while in 3D mode and without the cursor over anything selectable, and receive 573(?) gold. Repeat ad nauseum during your marshals’ travel time.

Which we won’t be using. Because that’s cheating. :colbert:

Actually that’s a lie, I’ll be using the hell out of it later, just mostly off-screen in my practice runs.

With her business done here, she and Shimon head for Dhithton in the center of the map.

Yugi, on the other hand, has found our roaming friends.

Admittedly, I made this fight a little harder than it should have been by sending Yugi instead of Shimon, but this is a legitimately hard fight. All three of the roaming monsters are Forest-Adepts and there's a ton of AP to go around here. They have a potential 1100 points banked in attacks alone, and while they're not particularly strong, they have enough attacks that it's pretty easy to get worn down. Man-Eater Bug in particular has to die, because if left alone he can put up anywhere between 1000 and 1500 points on his own, depending on how the AI splits his attacks and guards.

No arguments here; this fight isn’t one you’ll win by KO, even with the relatively flimsy enemies here. It’s pretty challenging for such an early encounter!

Naturally, the first thing the fucker does is Guard. So either I spend one of my precious AP to break it, or I go after Hane-Hane instead.

The AI can be really annoying with this sometimes.

In the interest of those precious, precious points, Hane-Hane gets to die instead.

This leaves me short when it comes to killing Man-Eater Bug. Fortunately, we have a pair of misses and a crit on our side, so we should be in good shape.

And by "good shape" I mean we killed him. If we hadn't gotten that crit and those misses it would have been a ~2100/~2000 point split.

Mystic Horseman doesn’t look too pleased with this development.

Oh, and it should be noted: you only get one shot at roaming monsters. If you lose the fight, you either have to redo the mission to try again, or go on without them until you complete the entire campaign, start it over, and reach this chapter again.

Hane-Hane has joined your army!
Man-Eater Bug has joined your army!

:toot:

One last grunt to go.

His team isn't anything to write home about, and the Dark King of the Abyss is really his only standout. The Snake Hair would be, but her attack doesn't paralyze enemies yet so she's just kinda strong.

Paralyze is a fantastic status effect in this game, as we will probably see at some point.

An unfortunate miss means that the Dark King lives to fight another day, but Shimon pulls out a close win.

...Well that's embarassing.

Honestly, that seems like the proper knightly thing to do.

And with that, all that's left is the boss.

But playtime is over! It won't be long before you beg Sebeckal for mercy!

So, Sebeckal. His team is really slow but they're pretty tough and hit reasonably hard.

Very hard. His Axe Raider may only have 2 AP, but those two hits are going to hurt like hell. With almost 2400 ATK, he can swing for anywhere between 260-300 damage a shot. And with 1000+ HP, he's going to take a lot of punishment before he goes down. The others are nothing to write home about, thankfully.

Armored Lizard’s main draw is getting Armor when it levels up enough, and Mountain Warrior is made out of wet tissue paper. (He also only has 300 base attack.)

Also, anyone else find it funny that giving an axe-wielder a sword somehow made him stronger?

On the other hand, this doesn't really need a whole lot of support. Fortunately, he wastes his second turn guarding.

Which I promptly waste a star failing to break. :saddowns:

Round one ends with BFD sitting dangerously close to the Axe Raider's damage range, but otherwise Shimon's in okay shape.

You can guard, but you can't stop me. :black101: (Unless you guard again, in which case I don't have enough AP to break it again and still kill the Armored Lizard, you rear end in a top hat :argh:)

But all good things must come to an end, and so too must this chapter.

GUUAARGH! You'll pay for that! I was going to let you live, but not now!

(We will never see Sebeckal again.)

Oh, Tristan! What are you doing here?

Trapped in the game, just like you, I guess. Joey and the others are here too. I was just with them a little while ago. Kaiba is working for the Empire. After losing to him, we felt it was safer to split up.

Kaiba?

Yep. I'm not sure why he's here, but he is. Anyway, I came to the island to organize my own resistance army. I should have known that you'd be leading the resistance.

It's the role I was given. Where is everyone else?

I don't know. We all separated and went underground to gather followers for the resistance. My guess is that they're still on the mainland trying to gather support and form new units. If we keep fighting against the Empire, we're sure to run into them again.

Good point. I don't think we have any other options anyway.

Since I'm already here, I'm yours to command, Mr. Resistance Leader!

At ease, soldier. It's good to have a familiar face on my team.

And with Tristan on the team, that closes out Chapter 2. Next time, FBK establishes that it'll test your clairvoyance!

Oh boy, a non-duelist will be an immense help to our rebel forces. (He’s still better than Fizdis.)

-----

Bonus Stuff:

Chapter 2 Animations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ioOkDlnra4

Music - Yugi Boss Battle

Flavor Text

Dhinn-Farm: This is a base for transporting food from the farms. It was freed by the resistance.

Ashton/Watthu: A watchtower for supervising farmers. It gets taken down each night.

Photwho/Croethe/Dhithton: This is a slave detention center. Detainees long for the resistance to set them free.

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 8, 2013

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Be fair to Tristan, he actually did know how to duel. Granted he sucked royally and was the only person in the second Virtual World arc who actually lost which resulted in him being a toy monkey for about 20 episodes, but he did lose to save Joey's sister because he was trying to mack on her. And honestly being a Marshal involves running around with 3 monsters and brawling with other monsters, Tristan is goofy and lunkheaded but he can be relied on to do simple things like that.

pyrrhickong
May 17, 2010

The Hell's "beefcake" mean anyway?
I do have to love that, despite many monsters under the base 1500 line gaining some kind of effect to their attacks if their growths aren't that good (hi there Time Wizard), despite having an attack named 'Paralysis Scythe', Mystic Horseman gains nothing and remains fairly useless through the game, or at least through my playthroughs after about the fourth map.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Tristan's Constructor ability is handy. :colbert:

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
I pretty much rode Blackland Fire Dragon for the first chunk of this game, that dragon is just so drat useful in the early goings.

Unfortunately, it'll be a while before we see my favorite monster, and even then it's not that good for Yugi, especially compared to the things Yugi gets later on.

Jynxite
May 1, 2013

Artix posted:

The main threat here is the Uraby, having both the most AP and the highest ATK on the enemy team.

I'm pretty sure that the most obvious threat right there was the Stuffed Animal. I mean, just look at those cold, dead eyes and that taunting smile.
What do you want from me?!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Jynxite posted:

I'm pretty sure that the most obvious threat right there was the Stuffed Animal. I mean, just look at those cold, dead eyes and that taunting smile.
What do you want from me?!

That's not its mouth.

Jynxite
May 1, 2013

Gensuki posted:

That's not its mouth.

Oh yeah...
I think the fact that it is literally vagina dentata makes it even worse, to be honest.

Also, why does Yami know military slang? I mean, yeah, he's lived in the body of a teenage boy, but he's an ancient Egyptian pharaoh, how does he know modern military terms?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Jynxite posted:

Oh yeah...
I think the fact that it is literally vagina dentata makes it even worse, to be honest.

Also, why does Yami know military slang? I mean, yeah, he's lived in the body of a teenage boy, but he's an ancient Egyptian pharaoh, how does he know modern military terms?

The same reason he speaks english/japanese at all?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Senerio posted:

I can probably get a tournament off the ground once I finish up with finals, and crush you get crushed with my Machine Deck.

DuelingNetwork is the big one, and the best. I used Lackey when DuelingNetwork didn't work at my college, but that was not nearly as good.

There's a newer one that's come out called DevPro, which is pretty automated and basically functions the same way that the DS/PSP games did. It might be a better idea than the completely manual, especially for those who aren't familiar with some of the new mechanics/rulings.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
This chapter's vote is kinda inconsequential, it's really more to introduce Tristan. But I dunno, maybe you guys really want to see fuckin' Hane-Hane or something, so who am I to judge?

Tristan isn't much better than Shimon or Fizdis for his stats, but he does come with the incredibly useful Constructor ability. Much like Discount cuts the prices of items, Constructor does the same for equipment. Comboed together, it makes picking up rare items from shops much easier to swallow, because that can get very expensive very quickly.

Not much better, but he is certainly better. Just not yet.

Moving on to his monsters, Gazelle is a pretty vanilla guy. He's very similar to Blackland Fire Dragon - not particularly fast, and he won't blow you away come endgame, but he hits relatively hard and you can definitely do worse. Pretty much Tristan.txt.

Gazelle does have one other ‘advantage’, but we won’t see that for a while.

Swordsman from a Foreign Land is straight out of the Kuriboh playbook. He's weak as hell, but cheap, good AP, and if you stick with him for a bit, he's not too bad. He picks up Castle and Field-Adept to round out his abilities, and he also gets a special attack that does "massive damage" to a single enemy. I can't claim to be able to quantify what "massive" is, but his low attack can be augmented by equipment fairly easily (in fact, that's what that extra Legendary Sword was for! :eng101:). SfaFL also starts pretty close to Tristan's orb color, so it's not a bad idea to leave it with him if you decide to use it.

Falsebound Kingdom seems to use the word ‘massive’ in special attacks to mean ‘probably more than their regular attack’. That’s really all that can be said for certain. Still, Castle-Adept is a step in the right direction.

Giant Soldier of Stone rounds out Tristan's monsters, and boy is he a monster. He's slow as hell, but he has okay attack, great defense, and a mountain of HP to whittle down. He'll eventually get Road-Adept and the Status Guard ability, which reduces the chances of getting hit by poison/paralysis/etc.

I think Status Guard eliminates that chance outright, actually. Certainly not a bad thing to have, given that statuses are actually worth using in this game.

Moving on to our other new monsters, Mystic Horseman is right there with Gazelle in terms of usefulness. He gets Road and Forest-Adept as his other abilities, comes up with respectable stats in the end, but otherwise there's not much special about him. As noted in the thread, despite the attack "Paralysis Scythe", he will never be capable of paralyzing anyone, so don't get any funny ideas.

Who knows why they did this? :psyduck:

Man-Eater Bug is deceptive. He doesn't look like much, but this fucker is terrifying once he levels up. His other abilities are Armor and Swift, the latter of which improves your movement speed, and I think gives you higher turn priority in combat (Don't quote me on the second part). He also tops out at 8 AP, which can be further boosted by things like Forest-Adept. And just for fun, he's classified as a Beast monster, making him a great candidate for some Beast Fangs to go along with all those attacks.

Swift is a very rare ability, and Man-Eater Bug is decently quick even without it. Definitely not the worst choice you could make for a team leader.

Finally, we have the Hane-Hane. He's not really that great, all things considered. He starts with only 2 AP, his other ability is Field-Adept, and he'll eventually pick up a special attack that can damage all enemies. He's not terrible, but there are better low-cost monsters out there.

Positively laughable. Ha!

So on to voting: Tristan's team is not being changed for this chapter, and he'll get his chance to impress us. We won't need all four marshals for combat, however, so pick one of Shimon or Fizdis to sit this chapter out. Furthermore, if you'd like to see any of our new monsters get some action, you can (but do not have to) vote to have them replace someone. A reminder of everyone else's teams:

Yugi
Celtic Guardian: 834 HP, 1477 ATK/1278 DEF, 3 AP
Feral Imp: 834 HP, 1376/1478, 2 AP
Kuriboh: 546 HP, 357/260, 4 AP

Fizdis
Horn Imp: 790 HP, 1509/1201, 3 AP
Silver Fang: 817 HP, 1351/953, 3 AP
Penguin Soldier: 612 HP, 830/590, 4 AP

Shimon
Beaver Warrior: 944 HP, 1312/1609, 3 AP
Blackland Fire Dragon: 921 HP, 1655/964, 2 AP
Zombie Warrior: 738 HP, 1329/1041, 3 AP

Fun fact: Monsters don't have HP in this game, they have Life Points like Duelists do in the show. :ssh: But calling them LP would be too confusing, so HP it is.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shimon, I love ya man, but you don't save us any cash. Bring Fizdis.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I say put Shimon on the bench. He's kinda boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
I personally say you should bring Fritz and give Fritz blackland, and switch Kuriboh for Maneater.

Edit: Just saw the 'no changing Tristan' thing. Sorry about that.

HangedManArcana fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 8, 2013

• Locked thread