Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Is... Is this the final mission of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

alcharagia posted:

Is... Is this the final mission of the game?

Yapping Eevee posted:

And with that, we’re almost done with Joey’s campaign. Only two more missions to go… and if you’ve been paying attention, you know exactly what they’ll be.

Nope! :v: Also, let me move that up from the bottom of the last page...

-------

I believe that we've already covered how shamefully awful Mystical Beast Serket is during our various encounters with Odion. Despite having good abilities in Armor and Super Stamina, its final stats are just appalling. (2400 HP, 4000/3500 and 4 AP.) The fact that it comes at level one is just one more massive nail in its coffin. Nobody in their right mind would use this monster.

Pity, because the thread had some interesting things to say about the actual card and cards related to it. This game is really quite odd about which monsters it favours and which ones it cripples.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, since you've beaten Odion, does that mean it's time for

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Yes, it's time for the face-off against full-on-crazypants Yami Marik. Of course, that means this safari is a gimme... Right?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

The gently caress even was Dark Marik? I remember the dub being really vague about it and I never cared enough to watch the original version.

Byzantine posted:

Actually, no! The real card doesn't need Temple of the Kings to be summoned, it just destroys itself if you don't have it. And recently a card called March of the Monarchs was released that protects Tribute Summons from destruction by card effect - so if you have March on the field and Tribute Summon Serket, you can use it just like normal.

Forgot about that one. Still, there are much better monsters and effects to use in his place. Which is a shame since I really like his design and the anime gave him several evolved forms as he ate Joey's monsters.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Arcade Rabbit posted:

The gently caress even was Dark Marik? I remember the dub being really vague about it and I never cared enough to watch the original version.

Marik's dad was a straight up rear end in a top hat. They were in a clan that was supposed to protect the god cards and millennium items until the pharaoh showed up again, and part of their customs meant that the firstborn son had to have some weird poo poo carved into his back. Now, Marik's parents found Odion before Marik was born so he was the only son they had until Marik was born, then Marik's dad stopped giving a poo poo about Odion and would abuse him.

Anyways, so Marik has to go through the ritual of having all that crazy poo poo carved into his back, that coupled with his hatred for the pharaoh was too much pain for him to handle, so he developed this split personality to deal with the pain. Odion was able to keep the dark part of Marik in check more or less. Anyways, one day Marik and Ishizu snuck out of their cave thing, their dad found out and tortured Odion because he helped them. Yami Marik took over and straight up murdered Marik's father (sent him to the shadow realm in the anime, in the manga the Millennium Rod has a knife in it). Marik's main personality showed up again and saw Shadi, who he naturally assumed had murdered his father and decided to get revenge on the pharaoh (according to the wiki Odion told him Shadi did it so he wouldn't be telling Marik he killed his own dad).

So basically, while Yami Yugi and Yami Bakura are spirits contained within their millennium items, Yami Marik is actually a split personality that was spawned from all the pain Marik felt.

E: I don't remember why exactly Odion is able to keep Yami Marik from showing up, maybe something to do with the stuff he carved into his own face or something I dunno

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

As with all things in Yugioh that aren't card games (and several things that are), it's the power of friendship.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I seem to recall there were also motorcycles involved.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
At first Yu-Gi-Oh! was about technology vs Ancient Egyptian magic.

Then it was about aliens and evil space lights that wanted to destroy the world after starting a cult.

Then it was about motorcycle riders who wanted to resurrect the Nazca Lines as giant evil monsters.

And now

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

MissileWaster posted:

Yami Marik took over and straight up murdered Marik's father (sent him to the shadow realm in the anime, in the manga the Millennium Rod has a knife in it).

Murdered him, skinned the ritual scars off his back, then tossed the skin on Rishid\Odion's unconscious body, saying "you wanted proof you belong to our clan? take it!".

quote:

E: I don't remember why exactly Odion is able to keep Yami Marik from showing up, maybe something to do with the stuff he carved into his own face or something I dunno

Odion offered to take Marik's place for the ritual, but was refused. So while Marik was in the ritual, Odion carved the symbols into his face in solidarity, giving regular Marik something to hold on to.

A fun tidbit: in the manga, Dark Marik's preferred Shadow Game is "you feel the pain your monsters feel", using it against both Mai and Joey. Dark Yugi actually used the same Shadow Game earlier, in an incident where Yugi released the Pharaoh to punish a thieving classmate on purpose.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Byzantine posted:

A fun tidbit: in the manga, Dark Marik's preferred Shadow Game is "you feel the pain your monsters feel", using it against both Mai and Joey. Dark Yugi actually used the same Shadow Game earlier, in an incident where Yugi released the Pharaoh to punish a thieving classmate on purpose.

Because in summary, Yugioh is a series where a bunch of psychopaths play a children's card game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Testekill posted:

Because in summary, Yugioh is a series where a bunch of psychopaths play a children's card game.

ANY game, really. The Pharaoh in the early stages did stuff like letting a guy get stung by his own scorpion (and it was over the guy stealing a pair of shoes), letting a creepy "prophet" inhale a ton of chloroform from a broken jar, left another rear end in a top hat to have his soul slowly devoured by the spirits of dragons from an ancient Chinese card game... Really, the Pharaoh would make anything that could be made into a game a life or death affair.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Testekill posted:

It's actually a legitimately cool story and I really hate that the card game grew like a tumor and took over the whole thing because it leads to responses like that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Byzantine posted:

I really hate that the card game grew like a tumor and took over the whole thing because it leads to responses like that.

Personally, I feel like one of the coolest games from early Yu-Gi-Oh was that Dragon Block game.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Cards

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Didn't Duel Monsters start out as a parody of how Magic The Gathering was at the time? I remember reading that somewhere.

Somehow it got super popular so now we have Duels on Motorcyles and the world being a giant card in defence mode or some poo poo.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Didn't Duel Monsters start out as a parody of how Magic The Gathering was at the time? I remember reading that somewhere.

Yup! Its original name was "Magic and Wizards", and Kaiba was supposed to be a one-shot bad guy based on an rear end in a top hat CCG player who insulted the author's friend.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Kaiba was supposed to be a one-shot bad guy based on an rear end in a top hat CCG player who insulted the author's friend.

And then he became one of the most popular characters in the series. :allears:

That does explain why the writer has Kaiba end up losing in humiliating ways to Yugi all the time, though, and never actually becoming his friend.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

ANY game, really. The Pharaoh in the early stages did stuff like letting a guy get stung by his own scorpion (and it was over the guy stealing a pair of shoes), letting a creepy "prophet" inhale a ton of chloroform from a broken jar, left another rear end in a top hat to have his soul slowly devoured by the spirits of dragons from an ancient Chinese card game... Really, the Pharaoh would make anything that could be made into a game a life or death affair.

I feel like we've mentioned it before but it always bears repeating that the pharaoh one time blew up a bully because he took Yugi and Joey's spot at a school fair. The game was air hockey on a big flat top grill with a block of ice as the puck with a thing of like nitroglycerin in it.

And also the time he caused a guy who broke out of prison to burn to death in the restaurant Tea worked in.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's a lesser known fact that Yami's full name is John "Atem" Kramer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Has... Joey even had any enemy marshals beyond Ishtar and Odion?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
It seems like all the best Yu-Gi-Oh villains are at least a bit mad. Pegasus was simply very eccentric, but Marik and Bakura were both full-on split personalities/possessed by evil spirits. The villains in GX were more normal and typical, and completely forgettable, except for Yubel, who was by far the best of them and reeeeally out there on the craziness scale. And so on it went.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'll give you season one's villain, but Sartorius was also possessed by an evil spirit, Yubel was Yubel and season four was poo poo.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Glazius posted:

Has... Joey even had any enemy marshals beyond Ishtar and Odion?

Hey. Hey, Joey fought Ishizu and Marik, that's three named enemy marshals thank you very much. :colbert:

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If we're going into manga talk, I'm doing to drop this here:

Man the early manga was fantastic.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Good lord what is with that guy's hair. I mean seriously. That's a forehead and a half.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's called style.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I'd say it's called a tumor.

*will Penalty Game anyone that quotes Arnold*

And drat, I forgot about the actual gang of kindergarteners. Kids these days.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Montegoraon posted:

Pegasus was simply very eccentric

Ehhh he was a bit more than just eccentric. Not totally insane, but he put together the entire tournament specifically so he could beat Yugi in front of the world which would allow his takeover of Kaibacorp for some reason.

And the entire point of him taking over Kaibacorp was to make a hologram of his dead wife, of course.

There's also the guy in Yu-Gi-Oh R, he was like Pegasus' apprentice and broke into and took over Kaibacorp so he could basically bring Pegasus back to life and put his soul into Tea's body because of loving course that's what he would do.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

MissileWaster posted:

Ehhh he was a bit more than just eccentric. Not totally insane, but he put together the entire tournament specifically so he could beat Yugi in front of the world which would allow his takeover of Kaibacorp for some reason.

And the entire point of him taking over Kaibacorp was to make a hologram of his dead wife, of course.

There's also the guy in Yu-Gi-Oh R, he was like Pegasus' apprentice and broke into and took over Kaibacorp so he could basically bring Pegasus back to life and put his soul into Tea's body because of loving course that's what he would do.

Did they change that in the dub? I thought he wanted the millennium items to bring her back?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

MissileWaster posted:

The main focus may have been on Yugi, but the real reason was so he could draw out and capture at least one Kaiba (preferably Seto) and just sort of puppetmaster Kaibacorp from the shadows. When you've bought out all the guys just below Seto and he's the only thing still in the way, well...

Alternatively, Pegasus just really enjoyed loving with Yugi. Millenium items may have been involved.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

MissileWaster posted:

In the manga, Kaiba Corporation had only been a gaming company for six months when Death-T happened. As a newcomer, its image depended on Seto Kaiba's reputation as the best gamer in Japan. Then Dark Yugi publicly beats Kaiba and Mind Crushes him, putting him in a coma for months.

With its golden boy and CEO humiliated and catatonic for months, Kaiba Corp's stock goes to crap. Pegasus, already in a partnership with KC to build the dueling boxes, jumps in with an offer to buy the company. The Big 5 agree, on the condition that Pegasus beat Yugi in an official duel, so they can save face by again claiming to be led by the world's best gamer.

By the end of Duelist Kingdom, Pegasus is dead, Kaiba is back, and the Big 5 are unceremoniously fired and never heard from again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Here's how I remember it going down in the anime:
Kaiba pulls off a plan with the help of the Big Five to take Kaibacorp from his dad, who kills himself out of shame. He then totally screws the Big Five out of any reward for their help. Kaiba and the Big Five end up with 49% of Kaibacorp's stock each, Mokuba has the 2% that swing it.

Pegasus needs the Millenium items to (ambiguous plan involving dead wife and holograms). Plan: get Yugi to Duelist Kingdom so he can wear him down in a Shadow Game and take his soul once he's weakened, then pry the puzzle from his lifeless hands. Or beat him in the final duel, because one of the conditions of the duel was that the winner could demand literally anything of the loser.

Pegasus also needs Kaibacorp for its hologram tech, so he partners up with the Big Five, which means he's got their 49% on his side. Once he captures Mokuba he has a controlling interest, I think getting rid of Seto was the Big Five's price. Pegasus was working on a fair few things and nearly pulled it all off; he might have been mad as a hatter, but he wasn't crazy.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Except in the anime where Pegasus survives and His Fabulousness continues to live on. Also so do the Big Five. Kinda? Anyway yes, Pegasus needed Kaiba's hologram technology to combine with the Millennium Items to bring his wife back to life. That was the plan at least. Its kind of ambiguous as to whether or not it would work, and by this point Pegasus is kinda out of his mind with grief over her death. That's why he needed both the company and Yugi to enact his actual plan. It was, by anime and card game standards, a pretty smart idea over all. He played everyone pretty well and knew exactly what he needed to do to get the Big Five on his side. He just didn't quite factor in Atem's existence, which lead to his loss in their duel.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Speaking of Death-T, at one point during that arc, Kaiba tries to kill Yugi and his group by sicking Leatherface on them. Not joking, he was a serial killer, had a chainsaw and a face mask, he was literally Leatherface.

Also in another chapter, Dark Yugi defeats another serial killer by setting him on fire. Early Yugioh was crazy hosed up.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's basically the Japanese version of Saw

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

He just didn't quite factor in Atem's existence, which lead to his loss in their duel.

He factored in Atem. He was able to get around his and Yugi's Mind Shuffle easily enough. He just didn't factor in the Power of Friendship™ blocking his mind reading powers.

As Yugi says, Pegasus has been relying on his eye so much that he isn't sure how to play the game by his own merits anymore.

Thundersword238 posted:

Speaking of Death-T, at one point during that arc, Kaiba tries to kill Yugi and his group by sicking Leatherface on them. Not joking, he was a serial killer, had a chainsaw and a face mask, he was literally Leatherface.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

This is just the chance the Black Dragon Squad has been waiting for, but Marik’s not ready to give up yet…

We can take as many or as few marshals as we like to bring down Marik, so let’s bring the whole real world crew along. Now, to take down the last of the Ishtars and scatter his army!

Oh, proofreading. How we miss you.

It’s time you taste the pain you’ve inflicted on so many others!

But you must be running low on brain power if you think you stand a chance against me! Ha ha ha ha ha ha. See? Can you you (sic) hear it yet? Do you hear the heartbeat of the great one? We can all look forward to an eternity of never-ending pain now! He’s almost here! Ha ha ha ha ha…

I’d say that he’s gone stark raving mad, but we all know better. Scott’s just been whispering in his ear. That, and he’s been programmed this way. Remember, none of these have been the real Ishtars.

It’s possible to go ‘liberate’ those empty towns for free money, but you really shouldn’t bother. :effort:

Let’s just get on with the show, shall we?

And I’ll tell you why. Because I know that the great one is real. And he’s on my side… That’s what he promised me and that’s what I got! Ultimate power… Behold…

Ah yes, the Winged Dragon of Ra! We finally get to see the last of the god cards, and another glimpse of their trippy battle background.

While Slifer could lower its enemy’s attack power and Obelisk had his third attack, Ra doesn’t have any special features beyond hitting really goddamn hard, possibly because Joey and friends can’t use a god to fight back.

It also has no abilities just like its compatriots, so you can use all the broken status effects in the world on it. Jusell could possibly solo this thing thanks to Raimei.

The single-target attack does about nine hundred damage, which is about two normal attacks worth. It hurts, but you should be able to cope.

Like the other gods, the real problem is Ra’s special attack.

Almighty Blaze Nova hits like a freight train loaded with school buses full of fat kids, inflicting quadruple digit damage to everyone at once. Dungeon Worm’s health hasn’t even finished draining in that second shot.

Yeah, there’s no way Tristan’s team can keep pace with that.

Abandoning the plan to get free money, it’s time to just converge and kick the bejeezus out of that Winged Dragon.

Also, fun but almost useless fact: You can use the C-stick to hide the enemy’s status bar. :confuoot:

Rocket Warrior is able to slowly chip away at Ra’s attack power with his special, but that’s not the real star of this show.

Remember how the Shock Shell lets you confuse things? And how that stops enemies from using their special attacks?

There’s a reason I love that item. :allears: Cyber Soldier saves the day.

And with that, the Ishtar army falls.

What a joke. My great one is nothing more than a cheap imitation…

Marik…

Go ahead… Laugh! What a fool I’ve been… Leave me… Go and live life… At least until the real great one really does come…

We’ve beaten the army that the Empire sent to destroy us, and yet… There’s one mission left. Stay tuned, folks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The lack of :unsmigghh: from Marik was disappointing.

At least Joey actually got to defeat Ra this time, though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Ra and Slifer kind of get a raw deal. Their abilities don't adapt very well (or at all) outside Duel Monsters rules, so they wind up feeling like lesser Obelisks since all they can do is "hit" and "hit all".

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Eh, Slifer's a right motherfucker with Thunderbolt Summons, I'd say he's easily the best of the gods in this game. Functionally, Obelisk and Ra are identical, with Obelisk having a unique attack that does absolutely nothing because it hits all enemies when you can only use it against other gods. :confuoot:

Also apropos of nothing, I haven't updated the safari since like...gently caress, the end of Kaiba's campaign? I'm going to go through and update it after Eevee finishes up the final mission and then I'll announce placing and prizes.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The lack of :unsmigghh: from Marik was disappointing.

At least Joey actually got to defeat Ra this time, though.

All things considered, he beat Marik the first time. Just passed out before he had the chance to declare the winning attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, Scott programmed a really poo poo Dark Marik. He's nowhere near insane enough! 0/10, Scott, try harder next time. Or never, since you'll never appear again.

Ra appearing from its Sphere Mode was kind of cool, but the lack of Phoenix Mode is depressing.

• Locked thread