Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

50 Foot Ant needs to move to Salt Lake City and run games for me and my friends, I would LOVE to play in your version of RIFTS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I didn't really get a strong response in the GM advice thread, so I thought I'd ask here -

1. What would be a basic outline for a oneshot of Rifts? I'm still not really sure what you should do with the setting. I'm thinking something simple like:

"You're on the outskirts of a Coalition outpost. There is a MacGuffin inside. Get in, take it, and get out. No restrictions on collateral damage"

2. What kind of opposition would be appropriate for a group of starting characters? It seems like most characters would have access to MDC weapons, so I was thinking like a dozen Coalition Grunts in the Dead Boy armor scattered across the outpost. But then someone just might take a Glitter Boy and blow up everything from a mile away, or does it not work like that?

3. Are there any restrictions or guidelines you'd place on character creation? I'd like to keep the rolling mechanics for stat generation, but then allowing people to assign rolls to the stats rather than in order, and maybe if they want to have a particular class, to increase any lacking stats to the minimum.

Are there any classes that I should consider "banning", or at least keeping an eye out for with regards to the larger group composition? I mean, Vagabonds seem like they'd be a joke class to throw in alongside everyone else.

This question was asked a few months ago, but I still think the answer is needed for the RIFTS thread, since it really is a difficult system to run for new GMs.

1. The best thing about RIFTS is that you can do pretty much anything with it. You can send them on a search and recovery mission against the Coalition. You can send them on a wilderness exploration mission in South America. You can have them wander into a Texas border town and discover it's a vampire controlled hellhole and have them seek out and kill the Master Vampire or Vampire Intelligence (depending on the power level of the campaign) They can be assigned with taking out a new Xiticix hive that was just started a bit too close to someone's borders. You can make them a Coalition Special Forces Black Ops team and have them try and infiltrate Tolkien/Atlantis/Lazlo/Federation of Magic/etc.

2. This completely depends on how you handle 3 and 1. There are so many groups you can use as antagonists and each group has a ton of variety depending on the power level of the campaign you are running.

3. Reigning in character creation is one of the keys to running a fun RIFTS game. I have found in my years playing RIFTS that it's best to set a rough power level when you start the campaign. We tended to have 4 power levels. The first is the low power, high roleplay characters like the Wilderness Scouts, Rogue Scientists, Psychic Sensitive/Psychic Healer, dog boys, Psi Stalkers, etc. The second is the middle power, which is most of the Coalition/Triax/Mercenaries/other large military force classes, along with some of the mid power Psychics like Bursters and lower powered magic users like Mystics and Techno Wizards along with light power armor pilots. The third is most of the rest of the stuff, here you can have the heavy power armor/robot pilots, the decently powerod magic users like Tattoo Men and Ley Line walkers and the higher power Psychics like the Psi Techs and Psychic Warriors and the powerful combat guys like Juicers. Finally, you have the god tier stuff, where you can allow things like Dragons, Godlings, Cosmo-knights, Prometheans, Temporal Wizards, Necromancers, Mind Melters and Shifters. All of those classes can be broken in hilarious ways. Though, you can also allow them in lower powered games and just not allow them to do any of the crazy game breaking stuff (Cosmo Knights, Dragons, Godlings and Prometheans will always be super powerful however.)

• Locked thread