Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

About a week ago, I started digging out some of my old RPG books because my gaming group is doing some one shots until one of my players leaves for school (no point in starting a campaign when the dude's just going to leave in a month). I found quite a few games that I bought but never played, including Rifts. Oh my god, did I feel old when I read through the core book. I used to have the first 15(!) world books, the first three supplements (with ARCHIE 3) and I think the first two or three dimension books... I know a had a ton of Rifters, too. I hate how much money I wasted, but I bought most of them used and I ended up selling almost all of them when I was broke and starving.

I always loved the ideas of the worlds they created. Rifts was the game I wish I could have created, because I used to love fantasy and sci-fi. When I looked through the old books I saw just how dated they are.

Now, I'm making characters for a one-shot, and I could use some advice from those of you who remember how to play the game: I'm planning on running a game down in Mexico/Vampire Kingdoms and I'm not sure what level the characters should be to survive encounters with vampires, mostly wild ones. I've got a Dog Boy, Coalition Grunt, Coalition Technical Officer, Wilderness Scout and a full conversion 'Borg.

Rifts: Love the ideas, hate the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Fighting vampires comes down to three things:
  • Having enough M.D.C. to take all the vampire punchings and bitings you're going to take.
  • Ability to withstand psionic powers.
  • Ability to actually harm vampires.
Other than that, it's a question of how well the PCs can plan and work around vampire weaknesses. I ran a game awhile back that involved the PCs fighting vampires in South America, and vampires also just suffer from being tough as hell. Even the biggest, most ridiculous anti-vampire weapons take repeated hits to bring one down. Personally, I reduced the HP of mook vampires down to minimum (20, if I recall), so I could have scenes where PCs faced off against hordes of vampires and could actually take them down without it taking an eternity. This is especially true, I think, if you have a normal-sized play group, because Rifts seems to be "balanced" (using the term loosely) on having a group of 12-20 players crowdfunding damage against immense targets.

In any case, don't throw them up in a big fight against vampires until they're armed and prepared against them. But then, it's a one-shot, so it may be okay if they all die at certain points, depending on your intention. In your example, I'd let the dog boy have better armor than they have in the core, as well (I think they may have gotten some better armor in Coalition War Campaign or Lone Star, not sure). Having a swift vehicle to get around wouldn't hurt either. As Coalition, also bear in mind a lot depends on whether or not they have support as well.

Also, I wouldn't ever make anybody play a Coalition Grunt, but it's a one-shot, so class balance doesn't matter so much.

My plan is have them arrive in Tampico from Ciudad Juarez as an inspection team from the CS. During their second night, a massive attack happens and they have to fight their way out of the base and get away. I'm going to make sure they're more than ready for the attack, but given my players, I expect them to bungle the fight pretty badly.
I picked the Grunt as a class because I wanted one regular guy in the party. I may only have four people show up, so it might not even get played.

Thanks for the advice.

• Locked thread